Tips for 2008 HSC Class/Things You Wish You Knew Before Starting Your HSC (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Yes, it's a bit late - but here are some little things I think it'd help to know:

1. Rank is the most important thing in your HSC internal (i.e. school) assessments. Before the HSC Exam - your aim should be FIRST rank. (I'm not going to gloss over the 'WHY it's important' bit, because there have already been a million threads compiled over it). So achieve FIRST rank - and do whatever you have to, in order to achieve this; whether this means familiarising yourself with what YOUR teachers, in particular, are looking for, OR teaming yourself up with people OTHER than your friends in group assignments, you go ahead and do it - this is your HSC. Final year. Do whatever it takes.

2. For Humanities subjects - read and learn from the HSC Exemplars. The Board of Studies has produced for all students, exemplar level responses for most HSC subjects - these are responses which had scored FULL marks in the HSC exams. They are accessible to any and all students here - http://arc.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/go/hsc/std-packs/ .Read them, highlight and focus on keywords you might like to incorporate into your own language for the subject, examine how they answered particular styles of questions (i.e. analyse the structure of their responses), understand what the HSC examiners demand of YOU in the HSC exam.

3. Acquire last year's state ranking HSC'ers / experienced teachers as TUTORS. Okay, this might sound like shameless self promotion, but I'm giving this advice because it works. Who else better to tutor you? Whilst someone who achieved an 85/100 HSC mark might want to tutor is, and seems quite capable, they'll never know what they did wrong in the HSC exams (no one ever comes across this information), and so YOU might never know what parts you're being taught correctly/incorrectly about your HSC course. On the other hand, state ranking tutors usually achiever near to FULL marks in their exams - so pretty much everything they teach you will be spot-on. Same for experienced teachers - and here, I'd probably advise you get tutored by a teacher who's Head of their department at whichever school they teach; this will ensure you get someone of high calibre and usually a broader/more experienced understanding of the course.

4. When HSC Exams come around - GO ALL OUT! The Trial HSC Exams should have helped you either gain greater confidence, if you scored highly, or gain greater motivation if you didn't score as well as you'd have liked to. The Trials HSC Exams should have also provided you with ample opportunity to experiment with new styles of writing / new ways of attacking exam questions. Now, when the HSC exams come around - GO ALL OUT! This means studying for as long as you can - yes, you should take breaks, but that doesn't mean going on 3 hour team campaigns in World of Warcraft! Study long, consistently - and also, efficiently. This means creating for yourself notes that will actually let you cover the course in the 6 weeks from Trials to HSC exams. If you create notes that are ineffective - full notes for the syllabus, but ineffective because it is almost impossible to recall the notes - then you're buggering up. Should you do past papers? YES for maths. For the humanities subjects - maybe 2 or 3. The most important thing is knowing key information. For a subject like Ancient History also - if you're compiling HSC Syllabus notes, make sure you review last year's HSC Examination to see which questions you can 'cross off' as needing to cover. The syllabus for Ancient (and i'd guess, Modern) history is too wide and varied to have the HSC examiners submit the exact same questions in on year's exams, and also the next's. Crossing off most of last year's questions cuts you some slack when studying your many, many HSC compiled notes for your subjects.

Personally, during the HSC Trial exams, I realised something about myself: On the morning of English Paper 2, I'd slept 6-7 hours, and then woke up to the worst thing ever - I couldn't remember anything. Seriously, I panicked - I couldn't remember my King Lear notes especially, and this led to a few tears (yeah yeah, I'm a guy, this probably makes me gay, whatever) - but I learnt then, that sleeping before my exam meant a gap in my memory, between what I had been learning the night before - and the exams in the morning after. So, for all my HSC Exams - the night before, I wouldn't sleep. I'd get my sleep mostly in the car on the way home, after the HSC Exam - and I'd stay in the car and sleep until 3-4pm (Most HSC exams finished around 11-midday for me). Now, this might not be the same for most people - and I'd usually take Redbull/V/Mother before the exams, just to keep me awake - but for me, I found it helps. Moral of the story: (and not, its not 'Don't sleep before HSC Exams') - learn as much about yourself during Trial HSC Exams as you can; about how well you cope, what helps you cope best, and what's most effective for you during exam periods etc.

5. You can still have fun during the HSC! Yes, you can. I don't mean the HSC IS fun - I mean, you can still go out during the HSC, whether it be with friends, girlfriends, whatever. I even jigged a day of school to go out withh my girlfriend - and no, it won't turn your UAI into an instant '30 or below'. BUT - you still have to balance it out. Don't start jigging school on days when you KNOW your teacher is giving out assignments. Skip school if you need to study for an exam which is on soon - but only do this if you KNOW you're going to study. And only do this if you're going to study from wake up time (i.e. 8-9am) until at least school finishing time - otherwise, what's the point? If you know you're a bludger - stay at school. Don't lie to yourself.

6. LAST TIP - Set yourself some meaningful goals! I don't mean target UAI's i.e. 99+ etc. I mean goals. My primary goal wasn't just the UAI. It was what it might come with - a scholarship. I aimed for the Scientia Scholarship at UNSW - 99.90 UAI required. I aimed for it, keeping in mind that it would save my parents (and myself!) around $40,000 total. Some teachers told me 'aim lower' - in terms of both scholarship and UAI. I kept my goals in sight - and yes, I didn't get the scholarship, and lost out on $40,000. But hey - I'm still wayyy FRIGGIN happy! :D But I guess this is the real last tip: Self-belief. ALWAYS have self-belief. No matter what anyone else says/believes, whether it be teachers, friends, even the marks staring back at you on your HSC Trial exams. Look at them, and say to yourself "FUCK you fuckers I'm gonna get what i FUCKEN want, and when i do, you can ALL GO SUK A DIKK!". P.S - I told THAT to my Ancient History HSC Trial Exam mark of 85/100 :)

And that's all the advice I've got to give. You can follow it, or you don't have to. Up to you's. Goodluck kiddos.

Last edited:

ameher

HSC
thats awesome advice live.fast btw im interested in turoing and i live close to stocklands aswell.

jessi90

HSC
live.fast said:
Yes, it's a bit late - but here are some little things I think it'd help to know:

1. Rank is the most important thing in your HSC internal (i.e. school) assessments. Before the HSC Exam - your aim should be FIRST rank. (I'm not going to gloss over the 'WHY it's important' bit, because there have already been a million threads compiled over it). So achieve FIRST rank - and do whatever you have to, in order to achieve this; whether this means familiarising yourself with what YOUR teachers, in particular, are looking for, OR teaming yourself up with people OTHER than your friends in group assignments, you go ahead and do it - this is your HSC. Final year. Do whatever it takes.

2. For Humanities subjects - read and learn from the HSC Exemplars. The Board of Studies has produced for all students, exemplar level responses for most HSC subjects - these are responses which had scored FULL marks in the HSC exams. They are accessible to any and all students here - http://arc.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/go/hsc/std-packs/ .Read them, highlight and focus on keywords you might like to incorporate into your own language for the subject, examine how they answered particular styles of questions (i.e. analyse the structure of their responses), understand what the HSC examiners demand of YOU in the HSC exam.

3. Acquire last year's state ranking HSC'ers / experienced teachers as TUTORS. Okay, this might sound like shameless self promotion, but I'm giving this advice because it works. Who else better to tutor you? Whilst someone who achieved an 85/100 HSC mark might want to tutor is, and seems quite capable, they'll never know what they did wrong in the HSC exams (no one ever comes across this information), and so YOU might never know what parts you're being taught correctly/incorrectly about your HSC course. On the other hand, state ranking tutors usually achiever near to FULL marks in their exams - so pretty much everything they teach you will be spot-on. Same for experienced teachers - and here, I'd probably advise you get tutored by a teacher who's Head of their department at whichever school they teach; this will ensure you get someone of high calibre and usually a broader/more experienced understanding of the course.

4. When HSC Exams come around - GO ALL OUT! The Trial HSC Exams should have helped you either gain greater confidence, if you scored highly, or gain greater motivation if you didn't score as well as you'd have liked to. The Trials HSC Exams should have also provided you with ample opportunity to experiment with new styles of writing / new ways of attacking exam questions. Now, when the HSC exams come around - GO ALL OUT! This means studying for as long as you can - yes, you should take breaks, but that doesn't mean going on 3 hour team campaigns in World of Warcraft! Study long, consistently - and also, efficiently. This means creating for yourself notes that will actually let you cover the course in the 6 weeks from Trials to HSC exams. If you create notes that are ineffective - full notes for the syllabus, but ineffective because it is almost impossible to recall the notes - then you're buggering up. Should you do past papers? YES for maths. For the humanities subjects - maybe 2 or 3. The most important thing is knowing key information. For a subject like Ancient History also - if you're compiling HSC Syllabus notes, make sure you review last year's HSC Examination to see which questions you can 'cross off' as needing to cover. The syllabus for Ancient (and i'd guess, Modern) history is too wide and varied to have the HSC examiners submit the exact same questions in on year's exams, and also the next's. Crossing off most of last year's questions cuts you some slack when studying your many, many HSC compiled notes for your subjects.

Personally, during the HSC Trial exams, I realised something about myself: On the morning of English Paper 2, I'd slept 6-7 hours, and then woke up to the worst thing ever - I couldn't remember anything. Seriously, I panicked - I couldn't remember my King Lear notes especially, and this led to a few tears (yeah yeah, I'm a guy, this probably makes me gay, whatever) - but I learnt then, that sleeping before my exam meant a gap in my memory, between what I had been learning the night before - and the exams in the morning after. So, for all my HSC Exams - the night before, I wouldn't sleep. I'd get my sleep mostly in the car on the way home, after the HSC Exam - and I'd stay in the car and sleep until 3-4pm (Most HSC exams finished around 11-midday for me). Now, this might not be the same for most people - and I'd usually take Redbull/V/Mother before the exams, just to keep me awake - but for me, I found it helps. Moral of the story: (and not, its not 'Don't sleep before HSC Exams') - learn as much about yourself during Trial HSC Exams as you can; about how well you cope, what helps you cope best, and what's most effective for you during exam periods etc.

5. You can still have fun during the HSC! Yes, you can. I don't mean the HSC IS fun - I mean, you can still go out during the HSC, whether it be with friends, girlfriends, whatever. I even jigged a day of school to go out withh my girlfriend - and no, it won't turn your UAI into an instant '30 or below'. BUT - you still have to balance it out. Don't start jigging school on days when you KNOW your teacher is giving out assignments. Skip school if you need to study for an exam which is on soon - but only do this if you KNOW you're going to study. And only do this if you're going to study from wake up time (i.e. 8-9am) until at least school finishing time - otherwise, what's the point? If you know you're a bludger - stay at school. Don't lie to yourself.

6. LAST TIP - Set yourself some meaningful goals! I don't mean target UAI's i.e. 99+ etc. I mean goals. My primary goal wasn't just the UAI. It was what it might come with - a scholarship. I aimed for the Scientia Scholarship at UNSW - 99.90 UAI required. I aimed for it, keeping in mind that it would save my parents (and myself!) around $40,000 total. Some teachers told me 'aim lower' - in terms of both scholarship and UAI. I kept my goals in sight - and yes, I didn't get the scholarship, and lost out on $40,000. But hey - I'm still wayyy FRIGGIN happy! :D But I guess this is the real last tip: Self-belief. ALWAYS have self-belief. No matter what anyone else says/believes, whether it be teachers, friends, even the marks staring back at you on your HSC Trial exams. Look at them, and say to yourself "FUCK you fuckers I'm gonna get what i FUCKEN want, and when i do, you can ALL GO SUK A DIKK!". P.S - I told THAT to my Ancient History HSC Trial Exam mark of 85/100 :)

And that's all the advice I've got to give. You can follow it, or you don't have to. Up to you's. Goodluck kiddos.
Quoted for awesomeness! Thanks!

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
live.fast said:

Now I do believe cursing can help me relax. yeah, I'm adopting this, too. *beep Beep Beep* lolz.

Whatever, Awesome! man. Really appreciate this advice :D

-pari-

HSC
N/A
. For Humanities subjects - read and learn from the HSC Exemplars. The Board of Studies has produced for all students, exemplar level responses for most HSC subjects - these are responses which had scored FULL marks in the HSC exams. Read them, highlight and focus on keywords you might like to incorporate into your own language for the subject, examine how they answered particular styles of questions (i.e. analyse the structure of their responses), understand what the HSC examiners demand of YOU in the HSC exam.
hey live.fast :) i actually disagree with this one, a lot of my friends used to do it, and i never did. the few times it was done in class i didn't find it helpful. actually i take that back - it can be good to show you structurally what to do if you're really stuck. but really, you need to understand your topic well. and then write y.o.u.r.s.e.l.f.
write like you mean it. dont just regurgitate some bull crap that you've put together from studyguides and exemplars. often you'll get exemplars on the same topic, same mark that are written in a completely different style. markers do like something with a bit of oomph (so mean what you write - present an argument, show why its valid etc) and something a bit unique, and ...."you".

4. When HSC Exams come around - GO ALL OUT!
this is a very common piece of advice and yeah common logic too. put your full force on the final exams. that's just common logic.
but i just want to say that ....dont...worry too much if you burn out. i put every fibre in my body into my work for the first 10 months, the last two months i burnt out. completely. i went into some exams with 4hrs cramming and 2hrs study. but i had stuff in the back of my head, because i'd done everything else so well.

so right now - your hsc is like...10 months away. dont sit there and think: yeah i'm gonna work damn hard for the finals. do it now. work really hard. (but consistently: dont burn yourself out).

you're going to make mistakes as you go along, and somethings you might only figure out how to study for them properly after trials - so you will get there with time. but dont just wait for time to work it's magic. there is none.

YES there are always opportunities to redeem yourself - but you honestly dont know when/where you're going to fall. so you need to work from NOW so that when/if that fall comes - it's not going to bite you in the ass too hard.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
fuck the first point of advice, i don't agree with it at all. but i guess i'll save that for another discussion.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
i never said exemplars cant be helpful at all. they can be and provided guidance to a lot of ppl i know. but, personally, i only used them for structural help in structuring my essays, and only really felt they were helpful when i'd figured out how to write my own essay and could compare it with an exemplar to check i was on the right track.

admittedly the easy way: copy study guides andother ppl's essays. you can do very well this way if you do it smart.

the harder way - actually delve and understand what you're doing, develop your own ideas, and actually form your own thesis and conclusions. you will do even better.
and you may even get something out of it.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Jachie said:
fuck the first point of advice, i don't agree with it at all. but i guess i'll save that for another discussion.
In reference to the "rank" issue or pari's advice?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I think rank is pretty important, but the means of achieving that pointed out don't click with me.

Jachie

HSC
I disagree that rank is the be-all and end all. "IT IS THEEEEEEE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN YOUR HSC GUYS!" um, no. if it were even remotely selective schools would not exist.

the important thing is ultimately to do the best you can do. in some environments, that means striving for the top rank. but that's not a feasible goal for a lot of people in competitive and well-achieving environments. you need to consider the context of the student, so I don't find making generalisations like "it's the single most important part of your hsc" to be accurate nor useful advice.

Zephyrio

HSC
True.

A more accurate statement would be: STRIVE FOR THE HIGHEST RANK YOU CAN GET.

Which equates to: DO THE BEST YOU CAN.

The best advice is to do the best you can and give yourself every opportunity to do so. :)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Jachie said:
I disagree that rank is the be-all and end all. "IT IS THEEEEEEE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN YOUR HSC GUYS!" um, no. if it were even remotely selective schools would not exist.

the important thing is ultimately to do the best you can do. in some environments, that means striving for the top rank. but that's not a feasible goal for a lot of people in competitive and well-achieving environments. you need to consider the context of the student, so I don't find making generalisations like "it's the single most important part of your hsc" to be accurate nor useful advice.
Hmm, point taken :D

live.fast

HSC
N/A
To Jachie: I say rank is the most important thing in internal assessments, because that is really all that internal HSC assessment marks count towards. I say rank is the most important thing because, if there are HSC students out there who feel their internal marks don't qualify them for a high UAI, that they shouldn't think about giving up - because as long as their rank is sufficiently high (and better yet, if their rank is FIRST), then they can still produce stellar HSC results OVERALL, even with the most mediocre of internal HSC assessment marks. I say that rank is the most important thing because, simply saying 'Doing your best is the most important thing' seems like more of the same common blanket advice which all students are well informed of in any case. I wanted to provide advice that, in the most technical sense, is correct - your internal rank, rather than your internal mark, acquires the greatest value come HSC exam time.

And whether or not it is a feasible goal to strive for top ranks in whatever school, shouldn't all students aim to do so in any case? It is not feasible that all 60,000+ HSC students are going to achieve a UAI greater than 99; so does that imply that no more than the 800 or so students who WILL recieve that 99+ UAI should strive for it?

To -Pari-: Exemplars, in my opinion, are the most valuable Board of Studies Documents produced (after the SYLLABUS of course). For Ancient History, reading the Exemplar responses actually helped me produce the perfect HSC notes; because I knew exactly how much information was required, how many dates/historians/quotes/discussions on topics was essential to a rigorous exam response, should I desire to achieve full marks. The Exemplars were valuable in this same respect for the History Extension HSC exam; especially for the histories, one can go about producing responses with too little, or too much information, and without set example responses like the Exemplars, going into the HSC exams is almost like walking blindly into a dark room filled with wide gaping holes all over the floor.

But ultimately, I can't force my views or advice upon any HSC student. So if you still feel I am incorrect, then simply put - follow your own advice, or just forget you ever read this post.

Once again - Good luck 08'ers. It's a NEW YEAR - and your FINAL year of schooling! maake all those years + hours of school + parents paying for school count for somethiing , okiees?

Jachie

HSC
as someone who does go to a top-ranking selective school, I'm telling you that your first point of advice is largely irrelevant to us. my teachers have gone though this so many fucking times with us. your internal ranking is only there so they can weight your hsc exam. that's why its importance is actually quite limited, particularly for selective schools like ruse, sydney etc where the cohorts are so bunched up and you can have twelve people tied on 4th. this is why your advice is flawed and really not relevant to a lot of students who use this site, since someone who comes last at ruse will most probably kick the shit out of someone ranked third at some random public school that doesn't make the top 200.

I'm not refuting that ranks are important, okay. i'm stating my opposition to the way you phrased the entire thing "YOU NEED TO BE FIRST DO WHATEVER YOU CAN TO BE FIRST" um, no. sounds good in theory, but is too general to actually be considered decent, executable advice. you talk about blanket statements when your entire first point was one.

Last edited:

Tavleen

HSC
gosh!
thanx heaps guys!
i'm doing my HSC for chem this year even though i was only in yr ten last year so im kinda freaked!
some of these tips are really helpful
THANX A BUNCH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)