Timing in the MX2 exam (1 Viewer)

Stefano

Sexiest Member
HSC
SOMEONE HAD TO SAY IT!! lol..

<b>L'Hospital's rule:</b>

If f(x) and g(x) approach 0 as x approaches a, and f '(x) / g'(x) approaches L as x approaches a, then the ratio f(x) / g(x) approaches L as well.

Antwan23q

God
HSC
err ok.
how do you people know all this out side of the sylabus theorems? do u get taught them at school?

Stefano

Sexiest Member
HSC
antwan2bu said:
err ok.
how do you people know all this out side of the sylabus theorems? do u get taught them at school?
I skip meals to study maths that's outside of the syllabus.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Stefano said:

If f(x) and g(x) approach 0 as x approaches a, and f '(x) / g'(x) approaches L as x approaches a, then the ratio f(x) / g(x) approaches L as well.
Thats one of the many forms the rule takes

noah

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
With Q1(e) of the SBHS paper, even though it says "evaluate", are you justified in sketching 2-|x| and finding the sum of the areas between the curve and the x-axis between -3 and 3? In general, I'm just wondering whether you're allowed to use any available method to answer a question or whether "evaluate" implies an alegbraic method must be used.

you have to be careful though because the areas under the x axis are negative.

if you just add the areas you'll get 5 instead of 3

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
noah said:

indeed,
This 4u exam was probably one of the hardest, but i've done 1-5
and my worse was 2 :'( Think i would've got 10 there..

HSC
No doubt SHS '05 was hard, but have you guys seen James Ruse 2002?
It's insanely hard; people like justchillin would be celebrating

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
KFunk said:
ln[tan(&pi;/2 -x)] = ln(cotx)

as x--> &pi;/2 , cotx ---> 0 &there4; ln[tan(&pi;/2 -x)] ---> -&infin;

I think you need to use the integral properties for this one because the question hinges around the symmetry (I think) the graphs have around x=&pi;/4. You can't really say "ln[tan(&pi;/2 -x)] = 0 hence &int; ln(tanx) dx = 0" if you know what I mean.
For that question, I said ln(cotx) = ln(1/tanx) = ln1 - ln(tanx). You transfer the ln(tanx) to the LHS, you get 2|ln(tanx)dx = |0dx --> |ln(tanx) = 0. Is 0 the right answer?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
noah said:

Yep. I just took any area below the x-axis as being "negative".

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
For that question, I said ln(cotx) = ln(1/tanx) = ln1 - ln(tanx). You transfer the ln(tanx) to the LHS, you get 2|ln(tanx)dx = |0dx --> |ln(tanx) = 0. Is 0 the right answer?
Yup, that's pretty much how I solved it except I made ln(1/tanx) = -ln(tanx) (leading to the same conclusion). I had a look at the graph in graphmatica and zero would look to be the rigth answer.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Stefano said:

I hate nit-picking and I'm no mathematician...far from it in fact :D, but I'm quite sure it's L'Hopital's rule (no "s"). The last thing you'd want is to use a rule outside of the syllabus and spell it wrong esp. if someone like Pender or Arnold were marking it :)

ishq

brown?
HSC
Looks like I wasn't the only one who was crucified by SBHS '05 then! Makes my brain cell feel better.

In other news, why didn't I give my HSC in 1999. Or even, accelerate in MX2 in....year...SIX? Has anyone seen that paper? It is a gift to mankind. Comparing with 2000. *ahem*

That is my mathematical contribution. I'm off to write my creative section II journey. Again. This time, a feature article journey.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
I hate nit-picking and I'm no mathematician...far from it in fact :D, but I'm quite sure it's L'Hopital's rule (no "s"). The last thing you'd want is to use a rule outside of the syllabus and spell it wrong esp. if someone like Pender or Arnold were marking it :)
Or Hespe or Choy.

Antwan23q

God
HSC
sikeveo said:
Or Hespe or Choy.
... just when i start to think i might actually do well in the hsc, you people punk me out by talkin about things ive never even heard of... :(

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Actually, "L'Hospital" is the correct English translation of his name. In French, it is: "L'Hôpital".

That is to say: "L'Hopital" is the incorrect way to spell his name.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Actually, "L'Hospital" is the correct English translation of his name. In French, it is: "L'Hôpital".

That is to say: "L'Hopital" is the incorrect way to spell his name.
Oh ic...I stand corrected. Thanks Slide Rule :)

forgotten_dark

HSC
hey what rough score in 3unit would put u in band 6? just generally a raw score of 90% or above, or is it lower like in 4unit? if someone has already asked this just direct me to the thread please...thanks

HSC
hehe time to join in on the nit-picking action
There is no word in the English language called L'hospital, Slide Rule. Sure L'hôpital in french means hospital in english, but you certainly can't just 'translate' his name. hehe and if you could it would be 'the hospital'. :)
Did you mean that that's the correct transliteration?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)