Timing in the MX2 exam (1 Viewer)

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Imo, 80 would not give a band 6(if the rank correlation was correct). I doubt we can have an increase of 15 band 6's in maths regardless of what ppl say about our grade.

U sure danza? Cos even Vishan got around 80's.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
All these talk about the SBHS test...

i wanna do it :'(

ishq

brown?
HSC
Thanks people! Much appreciated! :)

Your talkin about the Sydney High 4u trial right? I personally thought Kourty went really soft, all of Q7 andQ 8, cept for hte projectile was free marks.
I liked that projectile question. Took me a while, but I got it.

Thats the trouble - if you have time to think about it, you can probably do it. If not, then take a reasonably good stab at it. But, in exam conditions, last part of last question with next to no time left, I would just go 'ahh fuck it' and start doing other things. Like wondering how my parents would take my failure.

Antwan23q

God
HSC
ishq said:
...I would just go 'ahh fuck it' and start doing other things. Like wondering how my parents would take my failure.
lmao. stay positive people!

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
antwan2bu said:
because from the u minus the first from the second.

so you get
arg (z+2) - arg(z-2) = pi/2
ishq said:
I got that far too. But how do you find the complex number z from there?
If you do what antwan2bu suggested you'll get the equation of the circle x<sup>2</sup> + y<sup>2</sup> = 4 (or half of it at least). Since you have two equations containing relations of z you actually get a specific value (though this value does all on the circle). If you were just given arg (z+2) - arg(z-2) = pi/2 then arg(z+2) and arg(z-2) can take on a number of different values as long as they satisfy that equation.

You can solves this using sumultaneous equations. If arg(z+2) = &pi;/6 then z lies on a ray passing through the point (-2, 0) with a gradient of tan(&pi;/6) giving the line:

y = (1/&radic;3)(x + 2)

If arg(z-2) = 2&pi;/3 then z lies on a ray passing through (2, 0) with a gradient of -tan(&pi;/3) giving the line:

y = -&radic;3(x - 2)

Solving these simultaneously you find that x + iy = 1 + &radic;3i. You can see that this sits on the circle x<sup>2</sup> + y<sup>2</sup> = 4.

EDIT: Also, an alternative method would be to forget about the conceptual stuff and use the fact that arg(z+2) = tan<sup>-1</sup>[y/(x+2)]=&pi;/6 and arg(z-2) = tan<sup>-1</sup>[y/(x-2)]=2&pi;/3. Take tan of both sides and you get the same equations without the need to explain anything.

Last edited:

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Can someone post up this SBHS paper? Now I'm getting curious...
yea so am i

so

<b> can someone post the SBHS paper</b>

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
KFunk said:
I might be wrong in this but using what they give you:

&int; ln(tanx) dx = &int; ln(tan{&pi;/2 -x}) dx (both integrals between 0 and &pi;/2)

&int; ln(tanx) dx = &int; ln(1/tanx) dx ... (since tan(&pi;/2 - x) = 1/tanx)

&int; ln(tanx) dx = - &int; ln(tanx) dx ... ( 'cause ln(1/tanx) = -ln(tanx)

so 2 &int; ln(tanx) dx = 0

&there4; &int; ln(tanx) dx = 0
how about this??

ln(tan{&pi;/2 -x} = ln((tan&pi;/2 - tanx)/1-tan&pi;/2tanx))

lim as @ -->&pi;/2
tan@ --> infinity

so ln(infinity/infinity)

= ln 1
= 0

I = 0 dx
=0 ????

is this ok?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
With Q1(e) of the SBHS paper, even though it says "evaluate", are you justified in sketching 2-|x| and finding the sum of the areas between the curve and the x-axis between -3 and 3? In general, I'm just wondering whether you're allowed to use any available method to answer a question or whether "evaluate" implies an alegbraic method must be used.

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
haboozin said:
how about this??

ln(tan{&pi;/2 -x} = ln((tan&pi;/2 - tanx)/1-tan&pi;/2tanx))

lim as @ -->&pi;/2
tan@ --> infinity

so ln(infinity/infinity)

= ln 1
= 0

I = 0 dx
=0 ????

is this ok?
I'd be careful with that because if you have F(x)/G(x) where F(x) --> &infin; and G(x) --> &infin; when x-->k then that doesn't necesarily mean that F(k)/G(k) = 1.

e.g. as x-->0 , [1/x<sup>2</sup>]/[1/(2x<sup>2</sup>+x)] &ne; 1

You could bring something outside of the syllubus like l'hopitals rule into it or perhaps rearrange it so that it works but I'd hesitate before claiming that infinity/infinity was equal to one.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
KFunk said:
I'd be careful with that because if you have F(x)/G(x) where F(x) --> &infin; and G(x) --> &infin; when x-->k then that doesn't necesarily mean that F(k)/G(k) = 1.

e.g. as x-->0 , [1/x<sup>2</sup>]/[1/(2x<sup>2</sup>+x)] &ne; 1

You could bring something outside of the syllubus like l'hopitals rule into it or perhaps rearrange it so that it works but I'd hesitate before claiming that infinity/infinity was equal to one.

i was thinking of eg. when finding horisontal assymptode kinda thing ?

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
With Q1(e) of the SBHS paper, even though it says "evaluate", are you justified in sketching 2-|x| and finding the sum of the areas between the curve and the x-axis between -3 and 3? In general, I'm just wondering whether you're allowed to use any available method to answer a question or whether "evaluate" implies an alegbraic method must be used.

anything?

yea sketching will do

thats how i did it, easy as that way someone else did it by integrating in this thread.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
ln[tan(&pi;/2 -x)] = ln(cotx)

as x--> &pi;/2 , cotx ---> 0 &there4; ln[tan(&pi;/2 -x)] ---> -&infin;

I think you need to use the integral properties for this one because the question hinges around the symmetry (I think) the graphs have around x=&pi;/4. You can't really say "ln[tan(&pi;/2 -x)] = 0 hence &int; ln(tanx) dx = 0" if you know what I mean.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)