• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Thoughts on Extension 2 Maths (1 Viewer)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
bettina44 said:
my teacher said you should get an average of 90+ in maths to do maths ext2.i also want to do 4u maths only cause i want to drop eng ext,phy and dt by the end of the year. my marks are fine and all but she told me not to do it since its got nothing to do with what i want to be-graphic/interior design,yes i know sooo maths related.

on another note,the other day my friend chem teacher(who's asian) was rambling on about something that no one got,and she called out 'you know not everyone has asian brains.' lol

If by maths you mean 3unit- this is simply wrong. My friend failed every 3unit exam in prelim (40% was his highest) and now he's coming 16/35 in our grade.

lyounamu said:
By the way, I don't think Asians hold a particular aptitude in Mathematics. It is just that they work hard in their subjects. Some may be naturally gifted but most work their way.
I read somewhere that Asians genetically are better at math and sciences, forgot the source though.

eliseliselise

HSC
yeah, 4 unit is by far the most rewarding course you can take in high school [imo]. there's no greater satisfaction than that encountered after staying up till 4am trying to work out some crazy hsc question, and after the 54864035204 pages of algebra; finally getting it right [without peeking at the solutions]!!

hummm last year... ah yes they were the days... 2unit maths was always above 90%, and 3 unit varied from 70-100%. i had a very solid understanding of the 3unit stuff, coz thats like all i did, but they always throw a weirdo question at you in the test ;) i was ranked in the top 3.........

oh, & i'm not asian [i wish i was though].

but yeash, its still early days kiddo and this time last year i didn't even know what 4unit was. put the work in and see what your teacher says. & if you do end up doing it, buy the terry lee book!!

believe in yourself & remember that i^2=-1

:rolleyes:

sayoonara!

Kujah

HSC
N/A
If you're getting 75%+ in 3U, and you can put in the hard yards, then have a crack at it. There's no harm in trying it, and if you're struggling with it, you always have the option of dropping it. It's a pretty rewarding course, like most people have said, but you need to put in the effort! (I'm such a hypocrite).

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
eliseliselise said:
but they always throw a weirdo question at you in the test ;)
I love those weirdo questions, because it's usually only me and a handfull of other people who actually get them done. It usually just means a few extra marks for me. :D

eliseliselise said:
remember that i^2=-1
remember that the segment of the tangent to an ellipse of hyperbola between the point of contact and the directrix subtends a right angle at the corresponding focus. :D

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
foram said:
remember that the segment of the tangent to an ellipse of hyperbola between the point of contact and the directrix subtends a right angle at the corresponding focus. :D
Yada yada yada ya.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
ery1 is saying asians are good at maths but most asians in my school do general but they are Philipino to be honest

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Peristence pays off. Effort > Brains

aurora11

HSC
okay im half way through the course and its such a pain. its just so much more work and i think maybe i should just go really well in 2u and focus on 3u only. you really need to work hard and need to thoroughly understand integration! arrgh
do 4 u english! so much better!

itunes

HSC
omg..LOL! well i want to do 4unit maths as well..my ranks in 3unit is pretty good (5th) however, my 2unit is like shitt...im coming 6th out of 51....so yeh...pretty confused:confused:
Any suggestions??

Last edited:

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
eliseliselise said:
yeah, 4 unit is by far the most rewarding course you can take in high school [imo]. there's no greater satisfaction than that encountered after staying up till 4am trying to work out some crazy hsc question, and after the 54864035204 pages of algebra; finally getting it right [without peeking at the solutions]!!

hummm last year... ah yes they were the days... 2unit maths was always above 90%, and 3 unit varied from 70-100%. i had a very solid understanding of the 3unit stuff, coz thats like all i did, but they always throw a weirdo question at you in the test ;) i was ranked in the top 3.........

oh, & i'm not asian [i wish i was though].

but yeash, its still early days kiddo and this time last year i didn't even know what 4unit was. put the work in and see what your teacher says. & if you do end up doing it, buy the terry lee book!!

believe in yourself & remember that i^2=-1

:rolleyes:

sayoonara!
that was quite an inspiring speech imo.

foram said:
your brain scares me, i have no idea what you are talking about

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
itunes said:
omg..LOL! well i want to do 4unit maths as well..my ranks in 3unit is pretty good (5th) however, my 2unit is like shitt...im coming 6th out of 51....so yeh...pretty confused:confused:
Any suggestions??

I am basically the opposite to you,
I failed my extension maths half yearly (40%)
but topped my advanced maths half yearly. Thats the reason I'm dropping back down to advanced maths next year, less stress. :)

dodgyv

CEO
HSC
lyounamu said:
I will be doing Mathematics Extension 2 next year.

By the way, I don't think Asians hold a particular aptitude in Mathematics. It is just that they work hard in their subjects. Some may be naturally gifted but most work their way.
alot of azns that do 4unit maths are like the guys that come from china and the guys that studied 4unit maths like ages ago. giving them such an advantage alot are pretty pathetic and arent gifted but you cant say cause they get to do esl english which totally more easier then standard and standard english get scaled down lOl mehhh this was in my school BUT still there were some that were gifted...FREAKS

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Its weird that even asians that are born in Australia dont do well in English but still excel in Maths. If you work hard and study like crazy Maths wouldnt be that difficult because its so much more clear cut than a subject like English which is open to interpretation.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
dodgyv said:
alot of azns that do 4unit maths are like the guys that come from china and the guys that studied 4unit maths like ages ago. giving them such an advantage alot are pretty pathetic and arent gifted but you cant say cause they get to do esl english which totally more easier then standard and standard english get scaled down lOl mehhh this was in my school BUT still there were some that were gifted...FREAKS
Your whole post is fucking racist.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
change of plans for 4 unit looked through the textboooks and was like WTF?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dodgyv said:
Seriously, what are you on about???

I don't think Chinese people have learnt 4 Unit Mathematics ages ago. That's an absolute overstatement and you have got no idea. Please don't give us racial streotypes, as sikhman said, it's stupid.

The reason why some Asians may fall behind in English would be because they didn't get to experience English as much as they could as they may have come as immigrants. However, on the other hands, I have seen several Asians who are good at English.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)