The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

T_Knight

HSC
Could be a possibility with the current Woolworths EBA is due to expire next year (June 2015). So the unions will have to refresh and renegotiate alot of conditions such as employee job title classifications. Lets hope the award still protects workers rights cause businesses are already pushing their workers to excessive levels (cost-cutting with less staff on to handle even greater volumes of customers).

boat460

65 WAM Prop Trader
HSC
Hello,
I have recently started to work with Woolworths at their online store. Its been around 2 months but I still haven't got my card for staff discount :( does anyone know how long they normally take to ship?

nanakid12

HSC
Is that for online shopping (home shop)?

Ask your Office Cashier or department manager, they usually give it to you by now...

boat460

65 WAM Prop Trader
HSC
Yeah, they opened a new online store a few months back. Its basically a warehouse with no public access.
Thanks, I'll ask my manager.

BSammy

HSC
1. ask your department manager, or someone in the office

2. yes basically. it's not usually required, but sometimes i send all the pick ups and then count the draw at the POS, then once the pickup is processed i reinput the same count through office. (doesn't work if the draw is used again between the counts)
also working in the office on monday mornings it's sometimes required for finalisation.

T_Knight

HSC
Don't know if the following is a 'correct procedure', but this is the way i've been doing it.

You take the latest over/short register printout with you to whatever register you'll be counting to check how much it was out by last night or last time it was counted. You then go into supervisor menu and press spot check, hit confirm and select cash to get to the screen. All you'll be doing is counting the notes, coins and coin rolls/coin bags (the back office will reconcile the EFT payments).

I usually do it starting with $50 notes (or $100 if there are any), then $20, $10, $5. Notes are pretty fast to count so shouldn't be any dramas there. The annoying ones are coins cause sometimes clueless checkout staff open all the coin rolls/bags, even when there are still plenty of coins remaining in the tray (really makes counting a b**ch when you have to recount due to the final balance being out by too much). Anyway, proceed to count the coins: $2, $1…. all the way down to 5c. Lastly count all the coin rolls/bags (its on the 2nd page and listed as 'coin O.M' which im guessing means 'order money'.

At the end, hit confirm and yes. So this is the big part - if the total balance is more than say $20 over or under (+ or -), then you'll have to count again to verify that the till is truly over/short and its WASN'T a counting mistake on your part (which easily happens if you get distracted midway through by customers or staff….. grrrrrr!!!). You eventually learn to find which pockets of time are the quietest and go on a counting run then). If say the total is -$35 out, but last night the till was -$30 out, then its only $5 difference and you can 'declare' or finish the spot check and move on.

Hope that clears it up. Personally don't mind doing it, gives you an excuse to get away from the service desk and all and bludge.

BSammy

HSC
Hope that clears it up. Personally don't mind doing it, gives you an excuse to get away from the service desk and all and bludge.
Yeah, this.

Don't forget to pull out the draw and check behind it if you're out. Sometimes a $50 note can slip back there.

Also don't forget to check under the draw for any Miscellaneous Tenders (and potentially cheques, although I don't think we still take them there's occasionally one from a Social Club withdrawal) sitting under the draw, before you select cash at the start. Choose Misc, tell it how many you have, and then the amount for each. Once that's done then go back to Cash and do what T said above.

Papercutter

HSC
Would 15 be too young to be considered for a job as a "Replenishment Team member"? There's a job offer at a store near my area and I was wondering if I'm old enough to have a chance at that!

nanakid12

HSC
Would 15 be too young to be considered for a job as a "Replenishment Team member"? There's a job offer at a store near my area and I was wondering if I'm old enough to have a chance at that!
Definately not!! Go for it!

Yeah, this.

Don't forget to pull out the draw and check behind it if you're out. Sometimes a $50 note can slip back there.

Also don't forget to check under the draw for any Miscellaneous Tenders (and potentially cheques, although I don't think we still take them there's occasionally one from a Social Club withdrawal) sitting under the draw, before you select cash at the start. Choose Misc, tell it how many you have, and then the amount for each. Once that's done then go back to Cash and do what T said above.
I was always told that cheques don't get entered into a spot check - the office staff clear this manually.

boat460

65 WAM Prop Trader
HSC
Anyone work last monday?
It was like 2.5 times pay $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

T 360

One of the Fresh Food Peo
HSC
In had my first shift with the scales today and it was the worst shift ever!

Does anyone know what SCO Back Office is? According to the new training, we should be trained in it but the training booklet has nothing about it!

Getting sick of Woolies too. Its no longer about staff or customers. Its now purely $$.

nanakid12

HSC
Getting sick of Woolies too. Its no longer about staff or customers. Its now purely $$.
Exactly. Our store hasn't hired since 2012 and it is getting so hard. Yet another one of our full time staff are leaving soon and they are not being replaced. We have so many customer complaints about how long they wait for service it's not funny.

Also, random question... Does anyone else have Register 100? It shows up on computer reports and stuff, I just wonder what it is...

T 360

One of the Fresh Food Peo
HSC
Exactly. Our store hasn't hired since 2012 and it is getting so hard. Yet another one of our full time staff are leaving soon and they are not being replaced. We have so many customer complaints about how long they wait for service it's not funny.

Also, random question... Does anyone else have Register 100? It shows up on computer reports and stuff, I just wonder what it is...
I know we have Workstation 100 that controls all the registers. IT turned it off to replace it one day and we lost all our checkouts (THAT was fun!)

T_Knight

HSC
Just curious, if I somehow got dismissed from Woolies, they don't pay out annual leave do they?
No cause for concern mate, annual leave is pretty much,GUARANTEED to be paid out to you by woolies, even if you were terminated due to inappropriate conduct (both parties have entered into your EBA agreement, so they can't break there side of it). Also, just anecdotally, had a mate who got the sack last year and he got paid out all his weeks pretty soon after.

At our store, found that we're still be hiring now and then (though it's mainly been casuals in deli & nightfill). Am guessing that store manager & dept managers have been set unrealistic wage targets to keep under for the year. Kinda missed the older days when the rosters were RIDICULOUSLY BLOATED with so many workers on, and it wasn't even listed alphabetically and in general, a PITA to read lol.

Oh, and it's pretty common in our department to get "advised" to take on temporary "adjusted" contracts which suit "the operational needs of the business" ie hours are temporarily reduced and shifts being arranged stupidly all over the place (close one day, open the next.....'fun times). But usually CSM has been understanding and then after-the-fact, lines you up with a favourable roster. Swings & roundabouts is the best you can hope for - help them out, and hope they return the favour when you need some flexibility or extra shifts (well, the good managers tend to anyway... If you're lucky to work for one).

Katebrunner

HSC
Does anyone else have to time their breaks down to the minute? Like "you're due back at 3.42"! Its so demeaning

BSammy

HSC
nah, no one cares. it's shit when it's busy, but i just don't care that much either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)