The Woolworths Thread (9 Viewers)

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
yeah just managers and duty managers wear the black badge

and btw, I still find it hilarious how people try to do cash out with pay pass

T_Knight

HSC
In simple terms, there's very little you can do about it. Let's hypothetically say you had just successfully caught a shoplifter, called up loss prevention who then detain said party until the police arrives. All that would happen is a "criminal infringement notice" i.e a slap-on-the-wrist ~$200 fine is issued, they get carted down to the police station then pretty soon after, will simply be allowed on their way.

As serial offenders tend to predominantly be the unemployed, drug addicts or kleptos (aka lowlifes with nothing to lose if they ARE caught), they'll just keep reoffending regardless of circumstance or magnitude of penalty received. On the flip side, if you get it WRONG and incorrectly detain a suspected shoplifter who was later found to be genuinely innocent, in all likeliness you'd be sacked and lose your job over it!

Ridiculously unfair, but that's basically why staff are reluctant to report a theft, unless they are 100% certain and witnessed the theft occurring AND that the offender has left the premises, past the POS without paying for any/some of the goods.

harry1701

HSC
Hello my fellow colleagues,
Just wondering if cash office staff can do spot checks of registers without svr numbers? I know we can do funds transfer through office, but I was just wondering about spot checking?

Also does anyone know how to go about getting ISIS numbers.

nanakid12

HSC
Hey Harry,

Cash office staff can spot check using office. Just have to count the register by opening the drawer NO SALE - PICK UP or something, and then writing it down, and entering it on the workstation.

Ask one of your department managers or SSO about hooking you up with ISIS numbers.

Katebrunner

HSC
Also we have a number of people who the staff are all well aware that they steal from our store. They have for years. However, no one does anything about it!! Staff have seen them pocket stuff, and shove things in their bags but nobody seems at all intent on stopping it. Can we do anything?

Theft doesn't happen very often in our store, but we just know of a select few that do it.
What we sometimes do if there is someone in the store who we think is a theif but we cant prove it is to get on the PA and say something like "security guard to sector 12 please", even though there is no security guard and no sector 12, it works pretty well to scare the suspicious person into leaving empty handed.

harry1701

HSC
Does anyone know if we have access to any word processing applications on store workstations? Haven't been able to find one.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
What does replenishment pay like for a 19 yr old? Somewhere around $18/hr from what i've heard, can anyone confirm

T_Knight

HSC
What does replenishment pay like for a 19 yr old? Somewhere around $18/hr from what i've heard, can anyone confirm
Lets see, having a look at the Woolworths EBA it looks like you'd be earning: $19.84/hr for the first 4 months during probationary period, then it rises to $20.88. Because you're 19yo, you'll be paid 80% of the full adult rate listed above but it'll soon become 100% once you turn 20.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Lets see, having a look at the Woolworths EBA it looks like you'd be earning: $19.84/hr for the first 4 months during probationary period, then it rises to $20.88. Because you're 19yo, you'll be paid 80% of the full adult rate listed above but it'll soon become 100% once you turn 20.
Thanks for that, repped !

_be

HSC
"Security to Sector 7-G" hahahah

But in all seriousness, we do something similar, just more vague "Security on the floor" - it usually ends up with a couple of the "burly long life blokes" doing a quick sweep of the store as well anyway for laughs.

Katebrunner

HSC
Has anyone ever dated a customer? Did it get awkward if it didn't work out but they kept coming in to buy groceries?

nanakid12

HSC
Has anyone ever dated a customer? Did it get awkward if it didn't work out but they kept coming in to buy groceries?
Wow.

That's still only part time/full time rates. There's a casual loading which I think is 30%? Can anyone confirm?

nanakid12

HSC
no. no one can confirm.

I have a question about cigarette pricing. A packet of cigarettes that we hardly ever sell had a cheaper price than what it scanned at: $16.25, however it scanned at $17.75. I knew the customer doesn't get it for free, as cigarettes aren't covered by scanning policy, but is just reduced to clear and gave them to her at the ticketed price, and pulled the tickets down.

one of the other supervisors said you're not allowed to do that, that they have to be sold at the price they scan at.

why would this be? and if this is the way it's done, how would you deal with a customer that is pissed off about it?

BSammy

HSC
i did the same thing as you the other day, reduced it and took down the price.

probably check with front end manager as to if we're meant to do that or not.

and when customers get pissed off, either call the front end manager or store/duty manager up to deal with it.

Ertele

HSC
N/A
Tax question, guys. Out of $405 I earned last week at woolworths ($20.75 hourly, 19.50 hours) they deducted $97 tax, so I got paid only $308. Does that seem right? To me, seems like way too much tax, but maybe that's just how it works?

T_Knight

HSC
no. no one can confirm.
Pretty sure, casual loading is at 20% of the permanent wage rate. Basically its to compensate casuals who don't get to accumulate any entitlements like sick leave, annual leave and so on. Therefore they recieve a slightly higher take-home wage each week.

With the incorrect tobacco/smokes price tickets, our procedure is to just markdown the price via supervisor menu -> reduce to clear so that customer gets the advertised price as per scanning policy (get it 'free of charge' only applies to groceries). Then we immediately remove the ticket (a replacement one will be printed by the office). The customer gets the product at the cheaper ticketed price instead of the one in the system because the onus is on us (the retailer) to advertise the correct sales price. Otherwise it would be considered anti-competitve behaviour to falsely advertise lower prices and then adjust to a higher one at POS - consumer regulators like ACCC would step in etc).

For the tax question, are you a casual worker? Because casuals get taxed at a much higher rate than permanent staff. Also, if you recieve any form of youth allowance or education subsidy, again you get slugged with an increased tax burden from the ATO (you'll eventually recieve ALL your withheld income as a lump sum next june via tax refund). Still though, it sucks and theres pretty much nothing you can do about it.

Ertele

HSC
N/A
For the tax question, are you a casual worker? Because casuals get taxed at a much higher rate than permanent staff. Also, if you recieve any form of youth allowance or education subsidy, again you get slugged with an increased tax burden from the ATO
Well, my annual and sick leave hours get accumulated so I'd assume I am a permanent part-timer, right? And no, I don't receive any allowances.
Maybe I'll try and talk to them or the tax people... If there really is no mistake, then oh well.

Last edited:

T_Knight

HSC
Do you have another job or a secondary income (e.g. occasionally sell stuff on ebay?). If you do, then the tax office could dock you cause your increased 'total' income will push you into a higher tax bracket. But yeah, give them a call during weekdays, they do answer and will look up your tax file (number is 13 28 61). Just have a couple of ID documents ready like TFN, address, driver license. Let us know how it goes.

Katebrunner

HSC
My boss heard a rumor they are thinking about changing the job titles to the American department store style. The Assistant Store Manager will be known as the Deputy Store Manger, and all department managers will be Assistant Store Managers (eg: Assistant Store Manager - Produce, Assistant Store Manager - Customer Service, etc). There will be so many ASMs!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)