The Da Vinci Code (1 Viewer)

Linda N

HSC
N/A
Sarah168 said:
I recommend you at least give Asquithian's post a read :p

Edit: By "Asquithian's post", I mean, the article he posted. Just clarifying.

I realise that it was written blatently from a pro-Catholic viewpoint. I know Linda N in person and how adoring she is of the "fascinating" book, I was suggesting that she read another viewpoint rather than dismissing it and focussing on the dominant media appraisal of the book.
LOL. Some of my elder cousins read this article and react positively to it. Overall, this was an interesting and thorough "critical" historical-fiction article to read.

~Dreamer

HSC
Asquithian said:
He's just making an argument. Read the article. People hate him because they believe he is anti religious. Which he may not be. When a major religion is attacked people tend to reaffirm their faith - ie it makes them stronger. As he says apathy is the greatest enemy to religion - the da vinci code does not encourage religious apathy, rather it encourages religious debate and thats certainly good for the survival of the church.

I suspect however that that wont matter. Many people feel the catholic church is sus and that its methods and ideas are outdated. Hence it becomes an easy target. I suspect that the stupid majority (as it always is) will take the book as utter truth (much like those who take the bible as word for word truth) without even questioning it.

I'm not a christian so I sympathise with what he is saying. Its just another argumemt. I dont know that kind of history well enough to say its right or wrong. It's a work of fiction. But like most people who dont believe we always feel there is something fishy about the whole christian ideal. Hence thats why its called 'faith'...since there are so many holes in it along with unanswered questions...it just doesnt add up...The Da Vinci Code offers some explanations for some of the many questions.

i did read the article and i know he's just making an argument which i also think is a good thing. it is very apparent that his book has made an impact, otherwise, there wouldnt be a thread where it is discussed at length. i just thought it would be interesting to see how many have been taken by the cases he presented rather than just being observers.

asquithian, when you claim that you are not a chrisitian, is it because you dont lie catholicism and its traditions or object to chrisitanty as whole?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Is there a good order to read the books in?

I'm going to start the da vinci code later.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
no u can start with the da vinci code........ they use the same character as the other books, but it doesnt matter.

im reading the secrets revealed book behind the da vinci code- it ok

MouNtY

i just finished it yesterday and i thought it was bloody good....being christian it was a bit strange to have biblical events described that way but i thought it was a great book

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
i finished it a couple of weeks ago and i loved it
am considering reading some of his other books
but dad said they are the same type of book basically and get repetative
so my question is should i read the other three books?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Wow, good book. The ideas he brings up are really creative.

This book makes me want to go to france

Last edited:

moffat

Yeah. Think about it.
HSC
i just read it. it held my interest long enough to read the whole text...however i don't think it's as great as everyone is making it out to be. some parts were good, others just dragged on. and whats with 1 page chapters? this book was good..not great

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
wow this thread is still going

this book was overrated.
i still see people everywhere reading it, in the train, bus, even in the bloody cinemas

It's got some interesting ideas put forward and all, but the story formula is just the same as any other popular thriller/mystery.

Xeno

Xeno
HSC
Da Vinci Code

Da Vinci code's airport fiction....though I enjoyed reading it ;)

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco is much more intriguing, although ultimately pointless in the same way the Da Vinci code is...to paraphrase my housemaster "Dan Brown looked at the dust jackets of the books that Eco read when researching Foucault's Pendulum"

persephone

HSC
i think it is overrated. i didn't like the way it was written and it's not literature by any standards. the only reason why i liked it was the plot and the assertions it made about jesus etc.

Hotdog1

Yummmmmmmmmm...
HSC
yeah the book wasnt that well written, but nevertheless you just had to finish it because of the plot and suspense built around the subject

btw, are there any somewhat critque about the stuff mentioned in the book, all i've read is catholic-associated writers abusing the book...

timrie6

HSC
N/A
I bought it the other day and I am up to chapter 3. good so far, but I don't want to get my expectations up too high in case I am then disappointed.

I want to buy the hard cover with pictures. I tried to but they only had the little soft cover.

david88

HSC
I read this book.

tHIS BOOK is quite controversal. It talks about bullshit and twists the facts of god around.it would be a waste of your maoney and time. Dan Brown is a dickhead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)