The Da Vinci Code (2 Viewers)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I haven't read it yet, but my copy is in so I should have it finished by the end of next week (actual day depending on when I pick it up). I'll give my opinion (both as a reader of fiction and as a studious theologian :p) after that...if I have time. :)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I've noticed that. But here's something you didn't notice. Unlike the book which is classified as fiction but claims to reveal "truths", these websites state things which can be found to be true.

These websites actually have a backing - that is, they have historical sources. Whereas the Da Vinci Code is a fiction weaved with half-truths. It's these half-truths which are misleading.

Read the websites, and reply.

Have you read Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. If you have, you'd find they also claim to speak the truth (that is, the vampires). And there are some things which are true in the texts as well. Does that mean the book is to be taken as an encyclopedia, like some have taken to in reading the Da Vinci Code?

These days people read, and don't think (enough). They want instant gratification (movies, tele are a prime example).

Last edited:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
How can you possibly claim biased reporting, if you haven't even read the websites?

Another thing, the Sydney Morning Herald. "I say that's a Western publication which is biased." Would this be a valid statement?

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Then it's an unfounded claim - especially since the websites are Anglican but the book attacks the Catholic Church. :p

Anyway I'm reading it now, I can already see the holes in the book. It's rivetting fiction, but it's also full of dangerous, enmisting claims.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Vampire said:
Meh to reading all those articles. I just can't be bothered.
That's like judging a book by it's cover. Enough said.

MoNNiE

HSC
currently reading it -- started last night
i should finish it tonight, i'd have to say it is rather an intriguing piece of writing!!
i recommend it :p

I've read all three best sellers; "the davinci code" "angels and demons" and "digital fortress"

I recommend that after reading any one of these books, especially digital fortress and the davinci code, that u visit Dan Browns personal website and have a "crack at cracking the codes". I managed to crack the code on the inside of the back cover relativelly easy (digital fortress), once you've read the book you will 2.

Anyway, there great fun; play the game "uncover the code"

You can also search the "bizare facts" of all the novels and photo galleries (the many places heighlighted in the novels and the mystery behind them)

great site, great books.

i assume the site is www.danbrown.com i think

yep it is, give it ago it heaps awsome.

riewoldt

I read this book and thought it was pretty good - some interesting suggestions in there. I then went to the library to see if I could find any of his other stuff and I think it was Angels and Demons I picked out. After reading the first chapter I put it down in disgust - it was the exact same formula as the Da Vinci code with a different setting - obviously someone told him that there was potential to turn that mould into a best seller with a bit of controversy.

I have gone off the book totally since then, and some of the hype and spin-off books pointing out flaws etc honestly sicken me, that others are making $$$ out of a book that plugs a situation into a formula by pointing out its numerous flaws.

lol, I won't be holding my breath for the next one.. looks like Dan Brown will make a nice pocket from it all :) and no, I'm not very religious and wasn't offended at all by the book

Teoh

Dan Brown adopts the same formula every time yeh...
It's all about suspense and twist, where he just interchanges the uber item (grail/digital fortress) and the characters...
It's successful, but the endings are always crap...
HE builds up the suspense so much, that the twists in teh end, seem anti-climatic, and overall unsubstantiated
I've kinda gone off them now...

third day

HSC
digital fortress is the most captivating book that i have ever read..i read it in one day and i am still amazed by it...very cool book...i recomend it to everyone..

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
Its an Airport / plane book.... I garuntee that if you ever board a plane, you will see at least 3 or more people reading this book
Personally think its over rated, Its a fIction novel... FICTION .. and its not that great... i read it in year 9 for english.. and got really bored towards teh 2nd half of the book, the beginning was pretty good but slowly it drops

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
i like the book
but i don't think it is written overly well
i like how it makes u think
and its not completly out there
and i am one of those ppl who read it on the plane :D

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Linda N said:
Mad and intriguing book. I recommend everyone should read it.
I recommend you at least give Asquithian's post a read :p

Edit: By "Asquithian's post", I mean, the article he posted. Just clarifying.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Sarah168 said:
I recommend you at least give Asquithian's post a read :p
A Catholic journalist criticising a piece of supposedly anti-religious (Catholic) fiction (based on established myth) that appears to have been taken as 'gospel' by many readers? It was an interesting article, but that is all that I can say about it without reading through another critique or two... From another point of view, of course.

Edit: Supposedly anti-religious, not supposedly a piece of fiction (I am clarifying that just to be safe).

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I realise that it was written blatently from a pro-Catholic viewpoint. I know Linda N in person and how adoring she is of the "fascinating" book, I was suggesting that she read another viewpoint rather than dismissing it and focussing on the dominant media appraisal of the book.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)