The Coles Thread (1 Viewer)

greekgun

HSC
Yeah...but since he left the cups have come back. We have a plasma too, but its not the same as watching TV at home...it feels uncomfortable in the staffroom...cant put my finger on it...

bdude

HSC
I heard some of the other stores have Plasmas. We totally deserve one.

Also, I never use the store's cutlery.

bdude

HSC
lol got called up asking if I could do 6-9 in dairy and then just after I hang up the phone rang again and got asked if I could come in at 5 lol.

I don't know why they called me, I've never done anything in dairy. Think it's just face-up but don't see how it could take four hours.

greekgun

HSC
lol got called up asking if I could do 6-9 in dairy and then just after I hang up the phone rang again and got asked if I could come in at 5 lol.

I don't know why they called me, I've never done anything in dairy. Think it's just face-up but don't see how it could take four hours.
Yeah thats a bitch. Once after a 7 - 3 shift, i drove home...pretty tired, so took a nap. As soon as my head hit the pillow the service manager calls asking me if i could work in grocery, i ask when they want me in and she goes "As soon as you can make it."

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
We have this small crappy plasma at Safeway. It's got no outside channels, and is either half the time a) turned off or b) on the WOW channel (lol)

Trentyboi

HSC
In my shop, we have no forks or knives. Our TV is one of those stereo ones with a built in VCR player.

Yep.

Anyways, in May I'm going to start receiving youth allowance. I'm currently working to pay my way (receive no money from parents and have moved out). At the moment I'm fresh produce on part time hours, however, once I start getting youth allowance, I'm hoping to transfer to a shop closer to me (but it's a very busy store, I'm currently working in the city though) to work back on service for one or two shifts a week.

I'm going to wait until I receive confirmation from the government that I will be getting youth allowance, but I'm wondering how quickly transfers usually go through, and if they are normally rejected. Also, is this something I should speak to me SSM about, or my department manager?

My department's team is small, and I'm just worried my department manager or store manager will say 'no' to a request for transfer.

bdude

HSC
C'mon Coles peeps...... this thread is dying here :)

HSC
its because you all hang out in the woolworths thread.

actually no, you guys manage to keep this on topic. we manage to diverge ours into conversations of why we hate uni, what we can all afford to be drinking this weekend, and why we love mardi gras.

:p

just sayin.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Meh we just don't have the numbers of the Woolworths kids?

Did anyone read in Store Comms this morning Ian's reply to Today Tonight over their unit pricing story? To recap, TT ran a story (Tuesday I think) that Coles unit pricing was a myth and that we had huge discrepancies on products such as tea, toothpaste and sour cream. Coles got heaps of complaints to head office so they investigated and found:

- they compared a 50pk of tea with a 100pk of tea
- they compared toothpaste with a toothbrush
- they compared a Coles 200g sour cream with a Bulla 300g sour cream

Of course these are going to cost more if you don't compare like to like!!

The sad thing is that the customers won't know this, TT won't apologise and even if it airs on say MediaWatch hardly anybody watches that. But next week there will be a Woolworths story/beatup on a similar issue so I doubt it will really affect the bottom line.

HSC

Did anyone read in Store Comms this morning Ian's reply to Today Tonight over their unit pricing story? To recap, TT ran a story (Tuesday I think) that Coles unit pricing was a myth and they had huge discrepancies on products such as tea, toothpaste and sour cream. Coles got heaps of complaints to head office so they investigated and found:

Of course these are going to cost more!!

The sad thing is that the customers won't know this, TT won't apologise and even if it airs on say MediaWatch hardly anybody watches that. But next week there will be a Woolworths story/beatup on a similar issue so I doubt it will really affect the bottom line.
LOL.
don't worry, most people who watch today tonight are too stupid to differentiate woolworths from coles.

greekgun

HSC
LOL.
don't worry, most people who watch today tonight are too stupid to differentiate woolworths from coles.
haha i know right...so many times customers have come in and i ask them for fly buys and they say "Oh...safeway does fly buys now?"

But yeah, no matter what the price is, how it differs to other prices, how good our service is, customers and the general public are going to complain about everything we do.

bdude

HSC

Did anyone read in Store Comms this morning Ian's reply to Today Tonight over their unit pricing story? To recap, TT ran a story (Tuesday I think) that Coles unit pricing was a myth and that we had huge discrepancies on products such as tea, toothpaste and sour cream. Coles got heaps of complaints to head office so they investigated and found:

Of course these are going to cost more if you don't compare like to like!!

If you believed everything Today Tonight told you you'd be one paranoid person - everyone's out to get you.

---

Apparently next week our store's getting a "health & beauty" refresh, what does that mean? It seems pretty major because they needed a few people to work overnight with contractors and stuff.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Yeh our store is getting one too in a couple of weeks. They are just making it more colourful and easier to locate stuff, removing shit that doesn't sell, giving more space to shit that does, and all in all making the aisle a whole lot bigger.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
haha i know right...so many times customers have come in and i ask them for fly buys and they say "Oh...safeway does fly buys now?"
Oh my lord. I've also had countless people ask me what store they are in whilst serving them at the register. Like seriously?!!

But yeah, no matter what the price is, how it differs to other prices, how good our service is, customers and the general public are going to complain about everything we do.
Amen to that! I would rep but it says I need to share my rep around before giving it to you again mauhah.

jirwin

HSC
If you believed everything Today Tonight told you you'd be one paranoid person - everyone's out to get you.

---

Apparently next week our store's getting a "health & beauty" refresh, what does that mean? It seems pretty major because they needed a few people to work overnight with contractors and stuff.
We had the heath and beauty refresh done a few months ago (feels like forever ago now actually). Basically changes where items are located, bit purple block thing hangs from the roof that says 'heath and beauty' we also have one for 'baby'. the aisle is divided into different sections with signs saying like 'skin care' or whatever. Looks pretty good although its a bit retarded in our store because you get people asking 'where's the stationary' and you have to reply with 'baby aisle'... might just be where stationary is located in my store but it sounds funny.

When ours was being done a lot of people worked from like 8pm - 5am and stuff because there was a lot of stock that had to be removed and the replaced, a lot of a facing up to do etc. A few days after I was called for a 4 hour shift just doing loose stock because there was so much work involved.

Similarly at my store we are getting Self-Serve this weekend! Construction begins at 7.45pm tonight. We are getting 3 new express and 6 self serve where our current express is so our current 4 express registers have to be bagged/counted before 7.30pm tonight. Then 2 or 3 of our main registers are being converted temporary in express lines which is going to cause confusion with customers. I thought it wouldn't start until like midnight tonight because Saturday's are usually busy. I'm working 7-10pm so I'm looking forward to seeing all the chaos!

Also don't think my store is getting the new uniforms (brown polos) until the refurb which won't happen for 18mths apparently. The store at Markettown has had their refurb and the uniforms look nice and the store is all different. Like express registers have belts (not as easy to tell that they are express registers unfortunately) and all fresh produce sits on ice!

bdude

HSC
Looks pretty good although its a bit retarded in our store because you get people asking 'where's the stationary' and you have to reply with 'baby aisle'... might just be where stationary is located in my store but it sounds funny. !
Yeah, I just noticed that they've already installed new lights over the personal health, baby and toilet paper aisles. The new lights are so bright and they look so much better they should have done more of the shop with them.

Our stationary section is on the left hand side of the chip aisle with the cards and paper plates and stuff. Except for scisssors which for some reason are located with the sowing supplies.

jirwin

HSC
Yeah, I just noticed that they've already installed new lights over the personal health, baby and toilet paper aisles. The new lights are so bright and they look so much better they should have done more of the shop with them.

Our stationary section is on the left hand side of the chip aisle with the cards and paper plates and stuff. Except for scisssors which for some reason are located with the sowing supplies.
Yea it definitely looks weird how the baby and heath and beauty aisles are presented differently to the rest of the store. Our baby aisle has like nappies, baby food, bottles and clothing as well as medicinial products (panadol etc) and some beauty stuff. Heath and Beauty has all the shampoo, soap, deodorant, toothpaste etc.

Toilet paper, paper plates and serviettes are in the very end aisle near the fridge/freezers and then party items are on the back wall where the stationery once was. I had no idea why stationery is now in the baby aisle - I've had a lot of customers ask where it was moved to particularly because at the time we had the back to school specials on so they were like 'is this all you have' and I was like 'no stationery is also in the Baby aisle, down the end on the left'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)