The Coles Thread (1 Viewer)

bdude

HSC
Toilet paper, paper plates and serviettes are in the very end aisle near the fridge/freezers and then party items are on the back wall where the stationery once was. I had no idea why stationery is now in the baby aisle - I've had a lot of customers ask where it was moved to particularly because at the time we had the back to school specials on so they were like 'is this all you have' and I was like 'no stationery is also in the Baby aisle, down the end on the left'.
oh, you have your paper plates with the toilet paper?

we have, working backwards:

freezer, 12 - pet food, supplies & garden stuff; 11 - laundry, cleaning and electrical; 10 - toilet paper, tissues, nappies, baby & apparel

greekgun

HSC
Went into work today, started serving customers and one of them asked for some smokes, went over to the peter jackson draw to get the smokes and looked into the draw to see some new brand we never had in before (Deal), but out of habbit i grabbed it and gav it to the customer who goes "ummm...these arent my smokes". Took me 20 secs or so to register that they werent peter jacksons, so i go back to the draws and look for the PJ's and the whole smoke draws were rearanged. What dick head decided to reagrange all the smokes...gunna be hard to get out of habbit as i knew where all the smokes were before.

zobothebobo

HSC
We had the heath and beauty refresh done a few months ago (feels like forever ago now actually). Basically changes where items are located, bit purple block thing hangs from the roof that says 'heath and beauty' we also have one for 'baby'. the aisle is divided into different sections with signs saying like 'skin care' or whatever. Looks pretty good although its a bit retarded in our store because you get people asking 'where's the stationary' and you have to reply with 'baby aisle'... might just be where stationary is located in my store but it sounds funny.
The stationery is located in the aisle near the freezers in my store as well. Same goes for birthday stuff, and toilet paper.

The first time I saw all the changes they made to the health and beauty aisle, all I could think was that it was really bright. I don't know why they need all the lights really.

Similarly at my store we are getting Self-Serve this weekend! Construction begins at 7.45pm tonight. We are getting 3 new express and 6 self serve where our current express is so our current 4 express registers have to be bagged/counted before 7.30pm tonight. Then 2 or 3 of our main registers are being converted temporary in express lines which is going to cause confusion with customers. I thought it wouldn't start until like midnight tonight because Saturday's are usually busy. I'm working 7-10pm so I'm looking forward to seeing all the chaos!
I really want self serve to come to my store!!! Mainly because I think it would be amusing to watch the customers use it. Though I think that it may get me really annoyed with them after awhile.

Also don't think my store is getting the new uniforms (brown polos) until the refurb which won't happen for 18mths apparently. The store at Markettown has had their refurb and the uniforms look nice and the store is all different. Like express registers have belts (not as easy to tell that they are express registers unfortunately) and all fresh produce sits on ice!
When I went to my dad's recently I saw a new refurbed Coles up there. It looks really great. Smells like fish all the time though, which is weird. Now I really want my store to get a refurb. Don't really want the new shirts though. They look disgusting. Will everyone have to have those eventually?

On a completely random note, I had a weird dream the other night that our service desk got ripped out and we had to tuck our shirts in all the time.

HSC
Went into work today, started serving customers and one of them asked for some smokes, went over to the peter jackson draw to get the smokes and looked into the draw to see some new brand we never had in before (Deal), but out of habbit i grabbed it and gav it to the customer who goes "ummm...these arent my smokes". Took me 20 secs or so to register that they werent peter jacksons, so i go back to the draws and look for the PJ's and the whole smoke draws were rearanged. What dick head decided to reagrange all the smokes...gunna be hard to get out of habbit as i knew where all the smokes were before.
ours are always being rearranged. atm i can never find john player special :(

bdude

HSC
The stationery is located in the aisle near the freezers in my store as well. Same goes for birthday stuff, and toilet paper.

The first time I saw all the changes they made to the health and beauty aisle, all I could think was that it was really bright. I don't know why they need all the lights really.
Yeah, you can really tell if you're walking along the dairy case, dull aisle, dull aisle, dull aisle and BAM big bright lights. It's probably also because they're a warm fluroescent as opposed to cold ones.

I was on a register facing the aisles and you can see the spread of the lights out into the store because of just how bright they are.

jirwin

HSC
When I went to my dad's recently I saw a new refurbed Coles up there. It looks really great. Smells like fish all the time though, which is weird. Now I really want my store to get a refurb. Don't really want the new shirts though. They look disgusting. Will everyone have to have those eventually?

On a completely random note, I had a weird dream the other night that our service desk got ripped out and we had to tuck our shirts in all the time.
hmm didn't notice any fishy smell but yeah it looked nice. Ironically our service desk did get ripped out last night and the managers have been telling all the boys to tuck their shirts in all the time as well - not the females though.

---

so last night's shift was awesome. construction (well more like de-construction) started just after 8. It was quite a madhouse at work last night as slowly all our access to the service desk and cigarettes was blocked off. One of the main registers became a cigarette and express register with me having to keep walking behind the construction barriers to get the smokes then walk back over to the register. Was quite annoying at times because ladders were blocking every access so had to wait a few minutes - thankfully the customers were understanding.

Had to work back an hour as well because the one and only supervisor needed her break so basically left 2 operators, myself doing cigarettes and another operator bagging registers (all the registers are being re-numbered so different tills). We had no phone, no PA system and no clearance chutes because they had to turn the power off. Apparently it was all meant to be finished by store opening this morning (6am). I'm looking forward to seeing it this afternoon when I go to work.

bdude

HSC
It would be interesting to see them try and close most of the registers at 8 on a saturday in my store, we usually still have 3-4 full registers and 1-2 express still open

jirwin

HSC
It would be interesting to see them try and close most of the registers at 8 on a saturday in my store, we usually still have 3-4 full registers and 1-2 express still open
We usually have 2-4 express open depending on the time of night + register 5 is ALWAYS open (only closes for like spot checks) so we instantly lost 5 registers at 7.30pm. We then eventually lost the cigarette register. And Reg 7 scales were broken and humming so there goes another main register. It wasn't really that busy though - there was at least 1 operator that was off the register majority of the time (helping clean up, remove everything from the service desk etc), she jumped on a register a couple of times to clean the queues and I was off a register from 8.45pm - only jumped on to clear some customers/cigarette serving. So in terms of customers last night, we were extremely lucky.

T 360

One of the Fresh Food Peo
HSC
hmm didn't notice any fishy smell but yeah it looked nice. Ironically our service desk did get ripped out last night and the managers have been telling all the boys to tuck their shirts in all the time as well - not the females though.

---

so last night's shift was awesome. construction (well more like de-construction) started just after 8. It was quite a madhouse at work last night as slowly all our access to the service desk and cigarettes was blocked off. One of the main registers became a cigarette and express register with me having to keep walking behind the construction barriers to get the smokes then walk back over to the register. Was quite annoying at times because ladders were blocking every access so had to wait a few minutes - thankfully the customers were understanding.

Had to work back an hour as well because the one and only supervisor needed her break so basically left 2 operators, myself doing cigarettes and another operator bagging registers (all the registers are being re-numbered so different tills). We had no phone, no PA system and no clearance chutes because they had to turn the power off. Apparently it was all meant to be finished by store opening this morning (6am). I'm looking forward to seeing it this afternoon when I go to work.
How is/was it?

jirwin

HSC
How is/was it?
Self Serve isn't finished yet - there was just construction walls up with 'Work Zone' signs. The techies were in this afternoon to set up the self serve registers/area.

Apparently they didn't finish construction on time. 2IC arrived at 4am to restock cigarettes as they had to be put out the back overnight. She couldn't start that until 6am and they didn't open the store until 7am (usually opens at 6am) - customers weren't happy.

It's going to take some getting used to. We only have 1 entrance to the service desk now, the area for express isn't as user-friendly in terms of where we can place our basket racks and spare bags but with time this will all work out well I think.

It's still pretty messy. The floors have mis-matched tiles and there is dirt/old glue on them from where they've removed part of the registers/service desk. The registers aren't new - just our old ones and only the front smoke counter is new, the other part of the service desk is from before. There are also holes in the ceiling from where they've removed cameras hehe.

All up I think its going to be good once we get used to it. I just hope I don't lose hours because of self serve (opens to the public on Thursday, staff are being trained tomorrow)

T 360

One of the Fresh Food Peo
HSC
Self Serve isn't finished yet - there was just construction walls up with 'Work Zone' signs. The techies were in this afternoon to set up the self serve registers/area.

Apparently they didn't finish construction on time. 2IC arrived at 4am to restock cigarettes as they had to be put out the back overnight. She couldn't start that until 6am and they didn't open the store until 7am (usually opens at 6am) - customers weren't happy.

It's going to take some getting used to. We only have 1 entrance to the service desk now, the area for express isn't as user-friendly in terms of where we can place our basket racks and spare bags but with time this will all work out well I think.

It's still pretty messy. The floors have mis-matched tiles and there is dirt/old glue on them from where they've removed part of the registers/service desk. The registers aren't new - just our old ones and only the front smoke counter is new, the other part of the service desk is from before. There are also holes in the ceiling from where they've removed cameras hehe.

All up I think its going to be good once we get used to it. I just hope I don't lose hours because of self serve (opens to the public on Thursday, staff are being trained tomorrow)
That`s what happened at my woolworths store. The self serve was all boxed up after it was installed,and cordoned off until 2-3 days later!

bdude

HSC
Haha, our CSM has gone really overboard about remind everyone about our customer service "focus area" of alternative bags, there are about 10 laminated signs all over the staff room reminding us to ask if the customer has any alternative bags.

there was even one on the back of the toilet door, I reckon someone put it there as a joke, well at least I hope.

jirwin

HSC
Haha, our CSM has gone really overboard about remind everyone about our customer service "focus area" of alternative bags, there are about 10 laminated signs all over the staff room reminding us to ask if the customer has any alternative bags.

there was even one on the back of the toilet door, I reckon someone put it there as a joke, well at least I hope.
We have little laminated signs on every register with about 5-6 suggestions on how we can word the alternative bag question. Nearly all of them have been destroyed LOL

zobothebobo

HSC
we only have a little sign at the bottom of the screen at the registers reminding us to ask customers if they have any green bags. I never ask though, especially when I'm on express.

bdude

HSC
We have little laminated signs on every register with about 5-6 suggestions on how we can word the alternative bag question. Nearly all of them have been destroyed LOL
Suggestions please.

But seriously, in 99% of shoppers it's obvious whether they have their own bags.

Trentyboi

HSC
Anyways, in May I'm going to start receiving youth allowance. I'm currently working to pay my way (receive no money from parents and have moved out). At the moment I'm fresh produce on part time hours, however, once I start getting youth allowance, I'm hoping to transfer to a shop closer to me (but it's a very busy store, I'm currently working in the city though) to work back on service for one or two shifts a week.

I'm going to wait until I receive confirmation from the government that I will be getting youth allowance, but I'm wondering how quickly transfers usually go through, and if they are normally rejected. Also, is this something I should speak to me SSM about, or my department manager?

My department's team is small, and I'm just worried my department manager or store manager will say 'no' to a request for transfer.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
I'm realising Coles cost-cutting is just as bad as Woolworth's cost cutting. At least two of my ten hours today would have been spent in priority ones. It's not like I have a department that needs managing or anything is it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)