The Coles Thread (1 Viewer)

bdude

HSC
but if a card has a chip, you can't swipe it (well you can, but it takes quite a bit more effort, and we're not supposed to allow it). not sure if coles is the same.
Our EFTPOS machines fall back to swiping if it can't read the chip first try which can happen when the user fiddles around trying to push it in.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
At Safeway, if you insert the card about 5 times and it fails to read (IE the person didnt do it properly, or put it in the wrong way, or pulled it out to quickly, etc), it will pop up a box that says "Is the chip damahed - Yes/No", if you select yes it says you can't do the transaction, if you say no, it tells you to swipe it.

Might be somewhat the same

bouncingfire

HSC
The chips are useless and does not make the card secure until they remove the magnetic strip.

As for stooktake our last one was delayed by about a month so our store probably wont have one for a while.

bouncingfire

HSC
Also i did a shift last night and the machine kept on going offline( the icon on the right). does anyone now what this means? The register still works, it just take a while to logon and off. Anyone now what is the cuase of this? All i now is the icon on the left is the network for EFT and becomes a problem if that goes offline.

bdude

HSC
Also i did a shift last night and the machine kept on going offline( the icon on the right). does anyone now what this means? The register still works, it just take a while to logon and off. Anyone now what is the cuase of this? All i now is the icon on the left is the network for EFT and becomes a problem if that goes offline.

I believe the icon on the right is the connection to the back office server, I guess I.T. could have been updating stuff on there or something.

emmik

HSC
Easy Ordering? I mean what's the deal? I work in service, will this effect me much? Oh I'm about to head off to do stocktake 8pm til midnight, and I have my first ever Year 12 SAC tomorrow and I'm in year 11. I'm not nervous at all about the effects of sleep deprivation. So annoyed!

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Won't affect you at all. Maybe if you were a supervisor order cigarettes. Maybe. But it's a big deal for the other departments, especially groceries and dairy who have huge ranges of lines. Will finally bring the company into the 21st century along with Woolworths.

jirwin

HSC
Won't affect you at all. Maybe if you were a supervisor order cigarettes. Maybe. But it's a big deal for the other departments, especially groceries and dairy who have huge ranges of lines. Will finally bring the company into the 21st century along with Woolworths.
Service Assistants will need to take even more care in making sure products are scanned correctly. e.g. 12 tins of cat food can not be put in as '12' but rather the quantity corresponding to each particular flavour. This doesn't bother me at all as I always make sure I scan them according to flavour for stock purposes but on the odd occasion where a barcode hasn't worked then I haven't worried and just scanned another tin twice.

Also does someone out of a job unfortunately.

Hope I've made sense and that I am talking about the same thing you's are talking about.

bdude

HSC
Interesting. I think we might be getting the Easy Ordering, I think that's why we had our stocktake a bit early.

I wonder if it will affect category product entry because I that would affect the stock on hand counts.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Won't affect too much I think. If it's similar to Woolworths, there is a thing called a minimum presentation level (which is facings x 2 rows deep). So all they would have to do is check any OOS and order enough to cover the MPL. There will be a few teething issues but this is such an important implementation. Category product entry would really only be affected if there was a huge amount (double figures) that wouldn't scan.

Zozo6969

HSC
every category entry used 2 have 2 be recorded on a problem scan slip so they could match it up on the system. dont do it nowadays though, every product in the store should really be ranged in.

ordering system is pretty old, just walk through the aisles and scan the code of all the products that are low/empty and hope that stocktake fixes everything up.

as for chip cards, it is far more difficult to transplant a chip from one card to another as it is a sim card embedded in the plastic card. still need magnetic strips though for all eftpos terminals that dont have chip readers, atms etc. it is preferntial for the customer to use the chip 2 avoid their magnetic strip being skimmed to create an identical magnetic strip that can just be stuck onto another card (this is why u should match the numbers on the card to the numbers on the receipt/signature authorisation slip, to ensure that strip belongs to that card). it is also better for the store to be using chips so they can avoid authorising payments from stolen cards.

greekgun

HSC
Easy ordering doenst affect the service people much at all, besides scanning each item individually, and only doing quantity if the items are exatly the same - like jirwin said. But we had Easy ordering implemented like last year...i thought all stores had that stock system.

bdude

HSC
Easy ordering doenst affect the service people much at all, besides scanning each item individually, and only doing quantity if the items are exatly the same - like jirwin said. But we had Easy ordering implemented like last year...i thought all stores had that stock system.
No, I think it's only ~20 and it's being expanded to 400 by the end of the year.

If we had it now, Dairy's info would be messed up, for about a week the Coles 2L Lite Milks and a few different chicken burger products weren't on the system so had to be category entered.

greekgun

HSC
eh
fuck catagory entering
If im in a rush and theres a massive line/priority one
I enter that shit under 22000 (fresh produce) for whatever the item is)
definantly not the right thing to do, but meh, they want someone to serve fast they can find someone else.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
It's in about 40 stores now, and it's being rolled out to 400 by end of financial year. My SSM is actually leaving to head up the implementation at Chullora. So my training is doing real well, SM is leaving to go interstate, no SSM, STM will in all likelihood move as she won'y get the SM job... good stability?

greekgun

HSC
Eh, coles managment are always shuffling around.
Our awesome Store manager left to go to another store (apparently they only stay at one store for a year or so...or at least thats what he told us). Then we got this new Store manager...he was a real ass, didnt want us bagging broken/damaged stock because it was a waste of bags, but if we spilt or made a mess of the tubs where the stock goes because its damaged he wanted us to clean it...and then he took away the polystyrene cups from the tea room...and he did all this to get a bonues from coles due to reducing expenses. What a prick.

Anyway, for some reason him and his 2IC got fired, and now we have no store manager or 2IC. We should be getting a temp store manager to come in who used to be the 2IC...but he doesnt come in for a couple of months.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)