The ANZAC Legend and it's place in Australian Society (1 Viewer)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Confessions

i mean one of the images in my head that resonates with me the most is when there was a truce between Australian and Turkish forces and they mingled in no man's land and conversed and bonded

And can you imagine what they were thinking?

"oh hey you're a great guy and if we weren't at war I might have visited your country one day, run into you and we could have had a lifelong friendship. But instead we are going to spend the entirety of the rest of the week attempting to shoot each other in the face all because some serbian terrorist a thousand miles away shot an austrian archduke"
Who knows what they were thinking ?

We only shot each other in the face for a week because they were considered enemies (to the allies ), and that all enemies of the allies that were soldiers should be killed

_traveler_

That married guy
HSC
N/A

Der Krieg ist eine bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln

D94

HSC
N/A

You guys are applying 21st century thoughts and sentiments to 19th and 20th century ideologies. You just can't do that. That was a time where countries were still very much controlled by a monarch. To fight for your country was to serve your king or Kaiser or tsar or sultan etc. That was genuine pride and a sense of responsibility on all sides, even if, especially with Australians, that going to war was questionable. Alliances were necessary in keeping peace (despite that being a reason for the start of the great war). Remember that Britain only got involved because neutral Belgium was invaded. How do you suppose a nation with a fraction of Germany's armed forces would survive an invasion? Why does this mean Australia had to get involved? Well this goes back to ideology. Australia was a young nation, and we were still very British at heart. Would you not defend your mother if she was attacked? (yes, Germany invading Belgium was an attack on Britain. Alliances were very clear, and Germany consciously invaded Belgium in order to invade France)

You can't speak of justification with the upbringing that you guys have had. Had you been brought up 100 years ago, you would have most likely supported the reasons for going to war.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

You guys are applying 21st century thoughts and sentiments to 19th and 20th century ideologies. You just can't do that. That was a time where countries were still very much controlled by a monarch. To fight for your country was to serve your king or Kaiser or tsar or sultan etc. That was genuine pride and a sense of responsibility on all sides, even if, especially with Australians, that going to war was questionable. Alliances were necessary in keeping peace (despite that being a reason for the start of the great war). Remember that Britain only got involved because neutral Belgium was invaded. How do you suppose a nation with a fraction of Germany's armed forces would survive an invasion? Why does this mean Australia had to get involved? Well this goes back to ideology. Australia was a young nation, and we were still very British at heart. Would you not defend your mother if she was attacked? (yes, Germany invading Belgium was an attack on Britain. Alliances were very clear, and Germany consciously invaded Belgium in order to invade France)

You can't speak of justification with the upbringing that you guys have had. Had you been brought up 100 years ago, you would have most likely supported the reasons for going to war.
Except applying more progressive and reasonable ideologies is exactly what leads to the evolution of society, just because they had a dated ideology, it doesn't mean it is not open to scrutiny and in any way justified. History isn't about accepting how it was done back in the day, but seeing what went wrong and learning from it.

Not to mention that this neglects the fact that many Australians didn't in fact feel that way and Australia actually had widespread opposition to the war. The enormous support for it was simply in the initial few months, then it all went downhill from there as people realised how idiotic it was.

Australia forged it's identity at federation and going to fight Britain's wars was simply a step backward that shone light on how we weren't truly our own nation yet

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

Who knows what they were thinking ?

We only shot each other in the face for a week because they were considered enemies (to the allies ), and that all enemies of the allies that were soldiers should be killed
missed the point lol

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad

This is what happens if you speak "against" the Anzacs

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

To do that on the day when we're commemorating them was stupid though. Especially on the 100th anniversary.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

To do that on the day when we're commemorating them was stupid though. Especially on the 100th anniversary.
what other day though?

i'm not saying what he did was 100% right (for example he did exactly what the other extreme does, which is to make vast generalisations about ANZACs as a whole, which was inappropriate), but some of his claims are not entirely historically inaccurate (especially when it comes to the conduct of some ANZACs in Egypt)

it goes back to what i was saying earlier which is that ANZAC day should be to commemorate the lives lost in war, to mourn and reflect also on how horrible war is. It shouldn't be about glorifying war in the ideal of the infallible, always heroic, always noble Aussie soldier that is essentially mythical and historically inaccurate.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

what other day though?

i'm not saying what he did was 100% right (for example he did exactly what the other extreme does, which is to make vast generalisations about ANZACs as a whole, which was inappropriate), but some of his claims are not entirely historically inaccurate (especially when it comes to the conduct of some ANZACs in Egypt)
What's a good day to break bad news? None.

But you don't fire someone from their job on their birthday, for instance. Unless you're a Jehovah's Witness in which case, meh.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

What's a good day to break bad news? None.

But you don't fire someone from their job on their birthday, for instance. Unless you're a Jehovah's Witness in which case, meh.
the best time to question something is when it gets the most attention, because that's when the issue is in the limelight

Society in general has a pretty short attention span and let's be honest, the general population pays particular attention to Australia's military and it's role on ANZAC day and Remembrance day, if those comments were made on any other day they would not resonate or even make any sort of splash

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

Could've done it in the week leading up to it or something.
so what if he didn't?

Fact is fact, and it's our problem if we can't face the facts just because it's on a certain day

What he said might have been inappropriate, but we can't call ourselves a free and civilised society if we don't have the capacity to step back, put our emotions aside for a sec and actually consider the point someone is trying to make, which in this case was actually a point with basis in historical fact.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

Just out of curiosity, does this mean you wouldn't consider conscripts 'heroes' in the way you'd consider those who went willingly?

I do personally thing that a lot of the 'heroic' traits like perseverance weren't really a result of some innate strength and courage, so much as the fact that going home wasn't an option so you didn't really have a choice but to keep going. If getting up and leaving was a shameless and available option you can bet most of them would have gone home, and justifiably so, they were being literally slaughtered in an ultimately totally pointless battle. When we start calling people stuck in an battle they can't win running out to be slaughtered 'heroes' I personally think we start to enter a dangerous mentality. It's that kind of mythologising and romanticising of war and those that fight it that leads people to be so pressured by society's perception of what constitutes strength and heroism that they feel as though they have to fight. And that's what leads to people being slaughtered en masse for no good reason, which is exactly what we saw in WWI. I think we should lament that we live in a world that forced young men to make such huge sacrifices for such little gain rather than building up this myth of war as something which imparts strength and grants hero status. That's all just my personal opinion though, and on an issue like this there are always going to be people who see things in different ways depending on how they view violence, war, heroism and traditional masculinity in general.
In answer to your first question, I will reword this more clearly and yes I still consider conscripts as ‘heros’ because at the end of the day they had to fight in a war.

I don’t think anyone is actually romanticising war at all so I don’t know where you got this idea from. It is quite clear from ANZAC and Remembrance Day commemorations that nobody is glorifying war and these days are used to pay respects to those who fought and died in them. The reason why we should respect those who have fought in war is because it is a horrible thing to be in and these people had to face it. Regardless of whether they volunteered to be there or were forced into it, you cannot deny that they had to display heroic traits at the end of the day. I don’t think anyone is called a ‘hero’ without considering what they had to go through.

Based on the logic of your argument, we shouldn’t be appreciating anyone who had to go through any adverse situation unless they chose to be in one. For example, if someone had to live with a crippling disability then by your logic we shouldn’t be appreciating the fact that they had to draw on great mental and physical strength to survive everyday life simply because they didn’t voluntarily get themselves in this situation.

This seems to make sense to me: we should lament death, not to celebrate heroism. We should not be trying to distinguish between individuals and the bigger picture insofar that even if the campaign had been won, we should still be lamenting rather than celebrating. World War I was the war that lifted the illusion of glory and exposed its true horrors, if you remember "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori".
Following from the above, I would therefore say that this is a dangerous assumption to make. Patriotism is well and good, but this as a blanket statement borders on nationalism. The military fulfils a role in society, much like business, health and critical infrastructure sectors and much like these, have entry criteria and job descriptions. Purely being a soldier does not mean that one is inclined to consistently performing heroic actions, nor is it expected--in this day and age, "acting the hero" is not the job description of any profession and may put others in danger.
I don’t think that is true. Soldiers have always been expected to risk their lives in the face of a conflict (including in this day and age), which are heroic actions by definition. You only need to look at what’s happening in wars like Afghanistan and Iraq to see this.

Regarding the whole lamenting death/celebrating heroism (I would consider it as appreciating rather than celebrating), yes, we should be remembering people who have died in these events but at the same time we should be acknowledging the heroic qualities they had to draw upon. No one is suggesting we do the latter exclusively.

pretty much this

As for the "being forced into the war and taking orders", i think this mentality only applies to conscripts, otherwise voluteering to become a soldier is a personal choice, i doubt anyone becomes a soldier without considering the possibility they are going to be in life or death situations and if you do, then that's hardly heroic in itself.

You cannot say a soldier is not responsible for their actions simply because their job is to take orders, if that soldier voluntarily chose to become a soldier and chose to walk down that path.
I did not say that a soldier is not responsible for their actions and your interpretation of my argument is not what I meant at all. My argument of taking orders is in relation to your argument that I assumed that soldiers are naïve. Yes, they hold a level of responsibility and nowadays is a personal choice but soldiers are NOT the ones who decide on what wars to fight.

Furthermore, Gallipoli in particular was not "serving out country", and in fact there was a sizeable proportion of the population who were against the notion of participating in the war at all. I mean you could argue that people volunteered to fight based on the perception of serving their country but is this something heroic in itself, to be misguided and simply perceive u r serving the interests of ur nation when ur rly just participating in a war about european geopolitics that Australia got involved in solely cos it was politically allied with Britain?
I don’t think you are using the word ‘heroic’ correctly. Someone who is heroic is someone who displays a distinguished level of courage. Whether that courage is directed justifiability is not what I am talking about when I am talking about heroism.
As for the heroic qualities they drew upon of nobility and sacrifice, neither of those are distinctly Australian or "Anzac", and there is just as much evidence that rather than dying a magical hollywood movie death many soldiers were horribly slaughtered irrespective of what they tried to do. Mythologising these soldiers by saying they must have been heroic and courageous amd fought against the odds, may be true but i can guarantee you that in equal measure they were batshit scared and would have done anything to get out of there. That isn't anything to look down upon and instead of putting said people on a pedestal where they transcend basic human qualities into heroes we need to appreciate they too were human exactly like us and that war is not something that instantly makes you a hero if you participate but a horrible and disgusting waste of human life that cost these young people their lives for what was essentially a bullshit reason. Anzac day shouldn't be about the justification of war or how war makes our nation what it is or how heroic soldiers are, it should be about mourning and understanding the futility and horror of war and resolving not to get in such a situation again.
It seems that people here are saying that acknowledgement of heroism therefore leads to glorification of war. This is simply not happening. You can bet that the everyday Australian would acknowledge their soldiers as heroes but hardly anyone would say that war is a place they would want to be in.

With regards to the whole idea of when you fight in war you are automatically a hero, I think this is a case of correlation versus causation. Soldiers who fight in war are normally acknowledged as heroes but they are not seen as heroes simply because they are soldiers in a war, they are seen as heroes because they actually had to endure the difficulties of war and draw on heroic qualities in order to deal with it.

It also seems like you are suggesting that on ANZAC day we should be telling our war veterans and those who died in war “I’m so sorry that you had to suffer” rather than “We appreciate what you did during the war”. In which case, this is where you and I have very different opinions.

Last edited:

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

In answer to your first question, I will reword this more clearly and yes I still consider conscripts as ‘heros’ because at the end of the day they had to fight in a war.

I don’t think anyone is actually romanticising war at all so I don’t know where you got this idea from. It is quite clear from ANZAC and Remembrance Day commemorations that nobody is glorifying war and these days are used to pay respects to those who fought and died in them. The reason why we should respect those who have fought in war is because it is a horrible thing to be in and these people had to face it. Regardless of whether they volunteered to be there or were forced into it, you cannot deny that they had to display heroic traits at the end of the day. I don’t think anyone is called a ‘hero’ without considering what they had to go through.

Based on the logic of your argument, we shouldn’t be appreciating anyone who had to go through any adverse situation unless they chose to be in one. For example, if someone had to live with a crippling disability then by your logic we shouldn’t be appreciating the fact that they had to draw on great mental and physical strength to survive everyday life simply because they didn’t voluntarily get themselves in this situation.

I don’t think that is true. Soldiers have always been expected to risk their lives in the face of a conflict (including in this day and age), which are heroic actions by definition. You only need to look at what’s happening in wars like Afghanistan and Iraq to see this.

Regarding the whole lamenting death/celebrating heroism (I would consider it as appreciating rather than celebrating), yes, we should be remembering people who have died in these events but at the same time we should be acknowledging the heroic qualities they had to draw upon. No one is suggesting we do the latter exclusively.

I did not say that a soldier is not responsible for their actions and your interpretation of my argument is not what I meant at all. My argument of taking orders is in relation to your argument that I assumed that soldiers are naïve. Yes, they hold a level of responsibility and nowadays is a personal choice but soldiers are NOT the ones who decide on what wars to fight.

I don’t think you are using the word ‘heroic’ correctly. Someone who is heroic is someone who displays a distinguished level of courage. Whether that courage is directed justifiability is not what I am talking about when I am talking about heroism.

It seems that people here are saying that acknowledgement of heroism therefore leads to glorification of war. This is simply not happening. You can bet that the everyday Australian would acknowledge their soldiers as heroes but hardly anyone would say that war is a place they would want to be in.

With regards to the whole idea of when you fight in war you are automatically a hero, I think this is a case of correlation versus causation. Soldiers who fight in war are normally acknowledged as heroes but they are not seen as heroes simply because they are soldiers in a war, they are seen as heroes because they actually had to ensure the difficulties of war and draw on heroic qualities in order to deal with it.

It also seems like you are suggesting that on ANZAC day we should be telling our war veterans and those who died in war “I’m so sorry that you had to suffer” rather than “We appreciate what you did during the war”. In which case, this is where you and I have very different opinions.
The bold is the essence of what is wrong with this view, Australia's army was voluntary, they *did* choose the war they fought and no one *had* to fight it, you could have chosen, like the majority of eligible Aussie males at the time btw, to have not gone overseas and get involved in a war you wanted no part in and which was of limited actual relevance to you.

Furthermore, automatically attributing infallible and pure attributes to ANZAC soldiers as a whole is glorifying war in the sense that you're attaching nobility to war and purity to the concept of being a soldier.

And why should we appreciate what they did rather than mourning their loss? Why should I appreciate Australians going over to Turkey and fighting there when it provided absolutely no benefit to Australia at all apart from becoming a slaughterhouse? Why should I appreciate Australia's involvement in Vietnam and Iraq? What I do appreciate is what they did in Kokoda, Tobruk and East Timor, but these barely get any attention relative to Gallipoli.

Heroism isn't simply courage removed from every other circumstance or trait, it is directly tied with the morality and ethics of one's actions. Heroism is by definition a subjective notion and therefore something that is open to being questioned. If heroism was simply dependent on courage in the face of adversity then virtually every murderer in history is also a hero, which i daresay, would be a silly way of defining it.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

The bold is the essence of what is wrong with this view, Australia's army was voluntary, they *did* choose the war they fought and no one *had* to fight it, you could have chosen, like the majority of eligible Aussie males at the time btw, to have not gone overseas and get involved in a war you wanted no part in and which was of limited actual relevance to you.
When you sign up to be a soldier your duty is a public service. You do not choose the wars you fight when you are a soldier. Just like if you are a doctor you cannot selectively choose which patients you want to treat, you have to treat patients irrespective of the morality of how they got to where they are. If you believe this is wrong then so be it, but that's the way it is in reality.

Furthermore, automatically attributing infallible and pure attributes to ANZAC soldiers as a whole is glorifying war in the sense that you're attaching nobility to war and purity to the concept of being a soldier.
This is just a repeat of your point and I've already rebutted that.
And why should we appreciate what they did rather than mourning their loss? Why should I appreciate Australians going over to Turkey and fighting there when it provided absolutely no benefit to Australia at all apart from becoming a slaughterhouse? Why should I appreciate Australia's involvement in Vietnam and Iraq? What I do appreciate is what they did in Kokoda, Tobruk and East Timor, but these barely get any attention relative to Gallipoli.
Once again I did NOT suggest that we should not mourn their loss. I am saying we should acknowledge their actions in addition to the loss. Also, as I mentioned already no one is asking you to appreciate the rightfulness of the battles but to acknowledge the soldiers who had to put their lines at the front line level. Once again, I repeat my point about distinguishing between the justifiability/decisions of the event from the operations within the event itself. When we commemorating these events, we should be acknowledging that yes these events had happened whether we wanted them to happen or not.

Gallipoli is significant because it was the first time Australia got involved in war as a nation. ANZAC day is really a commemoration across ALL wars, it's just that they day chosen was the day of the Gallipoli landing because it was the first of many. You can appreciate the ones you thought were justified more in your personal commemorations, but you shouldn't be undermining why other people may appreciate the other battles.
Heroism isn't simply courage removed from every other circumstance or trait, it is directly tied with the morality and ethics of one's actions. Heroism is by definition a subjective notion and therefore something that is open to being questioned. If heroism was simply dependent on courage in the face of adversity then virtually every murderer in history is also a hero, which i daresay, would be a silly way of defining it.
Um...I suggest you look up the definition of heroism.

Last edited:

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A

When you sign up to be a soldier your duty is a public service. You do not choose the wars you fight when you are a soldier. Just like if you are a doctor you cannot selectively choose which patients you want to treat, you have to treat patients irrespective of the morality of how they got to where they are. If you believe this is wrong then so be it, but that's the way it is in reality.

This is just a repeat of your point and I've already rebutted that.

Once again I did NOT suggest that we should not mourn their loss. I am saying we should acknowledge their actions in addition to the loss. Also, as I mentioned already no one is asking you to appreciate the rightfulness of the battles but to acknowledge the soldiers who had to put their lines at the front line level. Gallipoli is significant because it was the first time Australia got involved in war as a nation. ANZAC day is really a commemoration across ALL wars, it's just that they day chosen was the day of the Gallipoli landing because it was the first of many. You can appreciate the ones you thought were justified more in your personal commemorations, but you shouldn't be undermining why other people may appreciate the other battles.

Um...I suggest you look up the definition of heroism.
You clearly do not understand how people signed up to WW1 lol, it was voluntary *after* the war was announced, they knew exactly the war they were getting themselves into. Also you can't compare a doctor and a soldier simply because both are a public service, considering that soldiers often have a primary role of killing people (not always, but often) and doctors focus on treating people's health issues.

And no, you didn't rebut it at all lol

And yes you actually used the word "appreciate" and I said that there is no reason for us to "appreciate" Gallipoli, acknowledgement is an entirely different notion. I'm not undermining anything at all, I'm simply stating that there is no reason why we should appreciate the fact our country invaded another country in Gallipoli, and that appreciate is the wrong word. Acknowledgement shouldn't also be one-sided, if we acknowledge the fact those soldiers fought at Gallipoli we should also acknowledge the fact it was a total disaster, we should acknowledge that it wasn't a fight for freedom but in fact an invasion, and we should acknowledge the fact that soldiers are not infallible and much of the Anzac spirit concept was forged by journalists who provided a rose-tinted retelling to provide comfort to families at home who were not ready to confront the harsh reality that their family and loved ones in Gallipoli were slaughtered for what was essentially a pointless (to Australia) battle.

This is backed up by historical evidence, where Charles Bean (the official war correspondent and the man who created the concept of the Anzac legend and spirit), wrote in his diary that he was censored from writing any criticism of Australian armed forces and was also told to write his correspondence and relay the news in a way that it avoided distressing aspects of the conflict, naturally this would give rise to a distorted view benefiting the government that wanted to propagate a more positive image of the war to combat the rising opposition to it.

Nor btw is it historically accurate to say Gallipoli was our first involvement in WW1, it wasn't. It was simply portrayed as such because it was easy for the government to rally people behind the cause at that point. ANd saying that this was the first time Australia united as a nation in a war is both inaccurate, because there was strong opposition to the war so it wasn't really the view of a united nation, and also nothing to be proud of, but rather saddened by the fact that we got involved in a war and gained nothing except tombstones.

And I did in fact look up the definition of heroism, perhaps you should look it up too if you believe heroism is simply courage irrespective of everything else lol

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
Ive decided to move this discussion to NCAP, as I think it has a lot of substance and deserves exposure to a wider audience.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
You clearly do not understand how people signed up to WW1 lol, it was voluntary *after* the war was announced, they knew exactly the war they were getting themselves into. Also you can't compare a doctor and a soldier simply because both are a public service, considering that soldiers often have a primary role of killing people (not always, but often) and doctors focus on treating people's health issues.
The soldiers signed up for the war at large but they do not have a say of what battles within the war they are ultimately sent to (probably shouldn’t have used the term ‘wars’ so loosely).
And no, you didn't rebut it at all lol
Yes I did lol. No one is glorifying war. This is about appreciating the actions of the soldiers within the war.
With regards to the whole idea of when you fight in war you are automatically a hero, I think this is a case of correlation versus causation. Soldiers who fight in war are normally acknowledged as heroes but they are not seen as heroes simply because they are soldiers in a war, they are seen as heroes because they actually had to endure the difficulties of war and draw on heroic qualities in order to deal with it.
And yes you actually used the word "appreciate" and I said that there is no reason for us to "appreciate" Gallipoli, acknowledgement is an entirely different notion. I'm not undermining anything at all, I'm simply stating that there is no reason why we should appreciate the fact our country invaded another country in Gallipoli, and that appreciate is the wrong word.
I am not suggesting that we appreciate the Gallipoli campaign itself as a whole but moreso the soliders on the battleground within it and this should not be devalued just because of the strategic disaster of the campaign. These are two very different things. You are critical of the campaign itself (which I totally understand) and that lack of appreciation should be directed at the government or whoever made the decision to go there at the time. However, I do not agree with the notion of having no appreciation of the soldiers who had to risk their lives on the ground and deal with a lot of torturing experiences in that campaign.

Acknowledgement shouldn't also be one-sided, if we acknowledge the fact those soldiers fought at Gallipoli we should also acknowledge the fact it was a total disaster, we should acknowledge that it wasn't a fight for freedom but in fact an invasion, and we should acknowledge the fact that soldiers are not infallible and much of the Anzac spirit concept was forged by journalists who provided a rose-tinted retelling to provide comfort to families at home who were not ready to confront the harsh reality that their family and loved ones in Gallipoli were slaughtered for what was essentially a pointless (to Australia) battle.

This is backed up by historical evidence, where Charles Bean (the official war correspondent and the man who created the concept of the Anzac legend and spirit), wrote in his diary that he was censored from writing any criticism of Australian armed forces and was also told to write his correspondence and relay the news in a way that it avoided distressing aspects of the conflict, naturally this would give rise to a distorted view benefiting the government that wanted to propagate a more positive image of the war to combat the rising opposition to it.

Nor btw is it historically accurate to say Gallipoli was our first involvement in WW1, it wasn't. It was simply portrayed as such because it was easy for the government to rally people behind the cause at that point. ANd saying that this was the first time Australia united as a nation in a war is both inaccurate, because there was strong opposition to the war so it wasn't really the view of a united nation, and also nothing to be proud of, but rather saddened by the fact that we got involved in a war and gained nothing except tombstones.
I agree that some aspects of the commemorations do go a bit too far with respect to the ANZAC spirit but (in relation to your original point) in no way should that mean that the people who were on the battlegrounds are not to be appreciated for having to go through that ‘slaughter’.

Whilst I acknowledge my error that Gallipoli was probably not our first involvement in WWI, my point about Australia being a nation was in reference to Federation. In reference, to the notion of strong opposition, the predominant viewpoint of Australia when WWI broke out was strong enthusiasm and support. The anti-war sentiments only really gained traction well after that time, particularly after the news of the Gallipoli campaign.

And I did in fact look up the definition of heroism, perhaps you should look it up too if you believe heroism is simply courage irrespective of everything else lol
Not sure what dictionary you are using lol.

Oxford Dictionary (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/heroism)
‘great bravery’

Cambridge Dictionary (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/heroism)
‘great courage’

Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/heroism?s=t)
‘heroic conduct; courageous action’

Last edited:

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
The soldiers signed up for the war at large but they do not have a say of what battles within the war they are ultimately sent to (probably shouldn’t have used the term ‘wars’ so loosely).

Yes I did lol. No one is glorifying war. This is about appreciating the actions of the soldiers within the war.

Um…by saying just that you are effectively undermining those who appreciated the soldiers within the Gallipoli campaign. I am not suggesting that we appreciate the Gallipoli campaign itself but moreso the soliders on the battleground within it and this should not be devalued just because someone higher up made a bad decision.

I agree that some aspects of the commemorations do go a bit too far with respect to the ANZAC spirit but (in relation to your original point) in no way should that mean that the people who were on the battlegrounds are not to be appreciated for having to go through that ‘slaughter’.

Whilst I acknowledge my error that Gallipoli was probably not our first involvement in WWI, my point about Australia being a nation was in reference to Federation. In reference, to the notion of strong opposition, the predominant viewpoint of Australia when WWI broke out was strong enthusiasm and support. The anti-war sentiments only really gained traction well after that time, particularly after the news of the Gallipoli campaign.

Not sure what dictionary you are using lol.

Oxford Dictionary (http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/heroism)
‘great bravery’

Cambridge Dictionary (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/heroism)
‘great courage’

Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/heroism?s=t)
‘heroic conduct; courageous action’
what's your point then? My point is none of the battles in world war 1 were justified, and that soldiers who volunteer to go to war should know full well what that job entails, regardless of where they go, the concept that they "had" to go or that they somehow had no control over their actions is simply false lol

and no you didn't rebut it, my point was by creating an idealised, historically false and mythical image of the perfect ANZAC soldier who is, irrespective of any other factor, undeniably a hero, is glorifying war because it's the equivalent of saying "this is what war makes you, into a brave hero, you could be a brave hero too!"

and i'm asking *why* we should appreciate soldiers simply for fighting when said fighting had no good purpose. There is a difference between acknowledging something and appreciating it, appreciating implies that what they did was good or something worth commending, going off to get slaughtered isn't something to be commended and is a tragedy.

And no, your point doesn't stand. War does not forge the identity of or unite a nation at all, and the strong support for the war was exactly as you said, simply initial. It started going downhill literally as soon as people began to face the reality of war a few months in and continued to go downhill from there. Not to mention that strong support even at the start was not necessarily reflective of the majority of Australia, most men eligible to enlist refused to do so even at the very start.

You also completely ignored the fact that historical evidence suggests that Charles Beans' creation of the ANZAC legend was in fact not entirely historically factual by his own admission and was used at a time when the government was struggling to get public support for the war.

Also if you want to talk about heroism, rather than looking at simplistic three word definitions on online dictionaries, perhaps actually have a look at the concept itself, wikipedia is easily accessible so you might want to have a look there. If we are to take your definition that it is simply bravery irrespective of everything else, by the same line of thought you could argue most of history's mass murderers are also heroic lol

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
what's your point then? My point is none of the battles in world war 1 were justified, and that soldiers who volunteer to go to war should know full well what that job entails, regardless of where they go, the concept that they "had" to go or that they somehow had no control over their actions is simply false lol

and no you didn't rebut it, my point was by creating an idealised, historically false and mythical image of the perfect ANZAC soldier who is, irrespective of any other factor, undeniably a hero, is glorifying war because it's the equivalent of saying "this is what war makes you, into a brave hero, you could be a brave hero too!"

and i'm asking *why* we should appreciate soldiers simply for fighting when said fighting had no good purpose. There is a difference between acknowledging something and appreciating it, appreciating implies that what they did was good or something worth commending, going off to get slaughtered isn't something to be commended and is a tragedy.

And no, your point doesn't stand. War does not forge the identity of or unite a nation at all, and the strong support for the war was exactly as you said, simply initial. It started going downhill literally as soon as people began to face the reality of war a few months in and continued to go downhill from there. Not to mention that strong support even at the start was not necessarily reflective of the majority of Australia, most men eligible to enlist refused to do so even at the very start.

You also completely ignored the fact that historical evidence suggests that Charles Beans' creation of the ANZAC legend was in fact not entirely historically factual by his own admission and was used at a time when the government was struggling to get public support for the war.

Also if you want to talk about heroism, rather than looking at simplistic three word definitions on online dictionaries, perhaps actually have a look at the concept itself, wikipedia is easily accessible so you might want to have a look there. If we are to take your definition that it is simply bravery irrespective of everything else, by the same line of thought you could argue most of history's mass murderers are also heroic lol
ffs I feel like we are repeating the same thing over and over again

My point is the soldiers didn’t choose to go to Gallipoli, they chose to go to WWI (whether or not you think it is justified is irrelevant). They had no say in whether they were set up for a campaign with great chances of success or a campaign that was doomed to fail. Yes, they should know that came with the job but it doesn’t change the fact that they had to face the doomed situation they were in. Does it really make sense to not appreciate the soldiers just because they were set up in this doomed scenario?
I have already said this and I’ll say it again. In reality there is no glorifying of war. Most people aren’t stupid enough to look at it in the simplistic way you are suggesting. Most people acknowledge the heroism of soldiers and at the same time know that war is a terrible place to be in.
I said this already and I’ll say it again. The soldiers should be commended for having to deal with the actual adversities associated with fighting. Regardless of whether you interpret it to have served a good purpose or not these people had to endure some pretty horrific stuff. The appreciation that you see on ANZAC day is NOT directed at the campaign, it is directed more so to the individual soldiers and what they had to endure.

I never suggested that war united a nation lol. I was merely clarifying my point on a technicality that in my previous statement when I meant ‘as a nation’, I meant Australia as a proper federal nation as opposed to a set of separate states, not as a nation with a unified view.

It may not be completely factual, but you can’t say that not a single soldier had to draw upon some of the traits. Either way, it doesn’t change the fact that the soldiers had to deal with adversities during battle.
I’d rather not get into petty arguments about semantics (I did say I was using the term ‘hero’ very loosely) but if we go by your subjective definition of heroism, then it becomes a matter of interpretation and taking sides.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)