Texts, Advice please? :) (1 Viewer)

amclachlan

HSC
Im struggling to find texts to do, my times running out with this assessment and was wondering if someone could help,

i have researched for hours trying to find texts.
i had the arrival by shaun tan picked but am now reconsidering due to the fact it seems common,

i was also wondering if someone could tell me if Hancock would be a good choice? and explain it in realtion to belonging please?

also any other suggestions of any text type would help

thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
The Arrival fits well with anything - it's a great text, it's just way overused. Try something obscure - I used Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck, it's a 400 page novel, and it's a classic (teachers love their classics), which makes it a bit more challenging than lets say, a Leunig cartoon or a Shaun Tan picture book.

laila09

HSC
My best opinion is Looking for Alibrandi.
When the topic of change was examined rather than belonging in the HSC a few years ago this was a prescribed text.
This means the board of studies LIKE this text.
They think it is sophisticated and a good text. Therefore it is clearly a good text to use. It also deals with the same issues as your text and will be easy to relate points to.
;)

lychnobity

HSC
My best opinion is Looking for Alibrandi.
When the topic of change was examined rather than belonging in the HSC a few years ago this was a prescribed text.
This means the board of studies LIKE this text.
They think it is sophisticated and a good text. Therefore it is clearly a good text to use. It also deals with the same issues as your text and will be easy to relate points to.
;)
And there's the problem. It's one of the taboos of the HSC English syllabus, you just don't use former prescribed texts as related ones; it's frowned upon and clouds your integrity. ie they purposely changed the texts, and here you go recycling them. Way to go looking for new texts.

Kolya

HSC
If you want to wander into metaphysics you can use Donnie Darko with the Chronicle

Anna Karenia's also a very good text for it...and another classic

Lord of the Rings? C'est magnifique...except some markers don't like it 'cause of Tolkien prejudice

Last edited:

exit-stage-left

HSC
The Arrival fits well with anything - it's a great text, it's just way overused. Try something obscure - I used Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck, it's a 400 page novel, and it's a classic (teachers love their classics), which makes it a bit more challenging than lets say, a Leunig cartoon or a Shaun Tan picture book.
I chose Grapes of Wrath last year as a related text for Ext English (we were studying the odyssey archetype), it worked out really well for that, it also happens to be one of my english teachers favourites :) I would say that it could definitely work as a Belonging text...

Horrifyingly, it seems that a lot of journey texts include belonging, but I'm not sure any of us really want to go back there any time soon.

laila09

HSC
And there's the problem. It's one of the taboos of the HSC English syllabus, you just don't use former prescribed texts as related ones; it's frowned upon and clouds your integrity. ie they purposely changed the texts, and here you go recycling them. Way to go looking for new texts.

That is your opinion, not how many markers see it.

nikilily

HSC
I want to choose a text which I know well which I also enjoy, its stupid to choose something which you think your teacher or marker will like, and when you enjoy and know something thoroughly from personal experience it gets me better marks. My english teacher is always telling us not to become 'clones' of him or the board of studies, but go with your own conclusions, ideas and interpretations.
In saying that, I recently watched Little Miss Sunshine, a movie I have seen many times before, and started to think about the belonging it has in it. Everyone in the family has dreams and aspirations they want to rise to, Olive the little girl wants to be a beauty pageant winner, Dwayne wants to be a pilot, Richard the father wants his book to succeed. In the end they realize that they don't belong to these dreams and aspirations they have, they belong to one another as a family no matter how disoriented and abnormal they are. Can I get some advice/criticism on this idea? is the belonging to the family no matter what too cliche?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
That is your opinion, not how many markers see it.
Actually, it shows a lack of creativity, narrow-ness of thought and lack of depth, all of which are somewhat (to a certain extent) important to do well in English.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Actually, it shows a lack of creativity, narrow-ness of thought and lack of depth, all of which are somewhat (to a certain extent) important to do well in English.</SPAN>
+1

In saying that, I recently watched Little Miss Sunshine, a movie I have seen many times before, and started to think about the belonging it has in it.
It has been done numerous times before though, for both Journey's and Belonging. It is a great text, but your analysis will have to be really strong to make it stand out.

That being said, I agree with picking a text you enjoy, as long as it can be desconstructed in a sophisticated way, and that it strong relates to the AOS.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
The thing that makes Little Miss Sunshine different from texts like The Arrival and Looking For Alibrandi, is that there is a layer of complexity that some of the better students can delve into - so I think it's a great text, that can be absolutely killed by some of the better students out there.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The thing that makes Little Miss Sunshine different from texts like The Arrival and Looking For Alibrandi, is that there is a layer of complexity that some of the better students can delve into - so I think it's a great text, that can be absolutely killed by some of the better students out there.
Hence, why I added:

It is a great text, but your analysis will have to be really strong to make it stand out.

:D

nikilily

HSC
haha so you guys are saying that you don't think I'm able smart enough to do Little Miss Sunshine, joking I get what you mean and I think I might look for something else. At the moment I'm going to use Clancy of The Overflow which I read and thought it could work, its by Banjo Patterson. I would also like to do a short story (due to lack of time to delve into longer novels) and a film. Any ideas or tips? My english teacher has been a bit vague as to why we need related texts. I know we use them for semester exams which don't contribute significantly to our HSC, but do we need to have related texts for the HSC exams, and if so how well do we need to know these texts?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
You do need to have related texts for the AoS for the HSC, and you should know them as well as your core texts (ie, very well).

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You have to hasve related texts for the exam. The analysis of them will composite around 30 to 50 percent of your essay.

If your interested in doing a short story, check out "The Pigeon" by Patrick Suskind. It's a decent text for belonging.

BTW, I wasn't saying you weren't smart enough to do LMS. You just have to be very confident in your abilities, as it will be overdone.

nikilily

HSC
yer i know what you mean about LMS and I'm not going to do it, thanks for the tip I'll check it out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)