Teacher's effort V Student's effort (1 Viewer)

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
I think students are more motivated to do well if they have a good teacher.
If I sit in class and have a teacher who does nothing and tells us to copy from the textbook I dont feel motivated or have a drive to do well.
When I have a teacher who pushes me, encourages me and obviously is trying hard to teach I feel more motivated to do well, but I have to be given the right tools to do well.

Its like telling the worlds greatest guitarist to play an amazing song and you hand them a guitar that is horribly out of tune and has broken strings.
You have to be supplied with a platform or a base to achieve and I think that it the teachers role, from there it is the students responsibility to take that opportunity.

Foxodi

HSC
Student's is defiantly the main factor. Granted I geuss I have bias because most of my teachers care and are good... but self study should be able to get you through most of the hsc anyway, mind you, the importance of the teacher changes with each subject.

bored of sc

HSC
cool, glad everyone is enjoying talking about this topic :) :) :)

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
sikhman said:
what about people who learn using distance ed....they don't have a teacher per se and yet they can still get good marks....so student effort counts a lot...
That is a good point but for subjects such as Maths and English which involve understanding concepts I think a teacher is required.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
All subjects are purely the students own effort. In fact, I have some of the best teachers, and some of the worst teachers, and I've been in the top 5 for many subjects, even when the teacher was really bad. This only applies to subjects where it is possible to get full marks, because subjects like english are so retarded, that the harder i try to get good marks, the worse my marks tend to be. Thats because english is crap, and requires you to try and think like stupid people. For those type of subjects (English) you will need a teacher to help you write and think like idiots. Omg, english is so stupid, i can snap everybody at every subject, except english, because english is just about trying to be stupid, and everybody in my grade is born stupid, so they have an unfair advantage.

bored of sc

HSC
foram said:
All subjects are purely the students own effort. In fact, I have some of the best teachers, and some of the worst teachers, and I've been in the top 5 for many subjects, even when the teacher was really bad. This only applies to subjects where it is possible to get full marks, because subjects like english are so retarded, that the harder i try to get good marks, the worse my marks tend to be. Thats because english is crap, and requires you to try and think like stupid people. For those type of subjects (English) you will need a teacher to help you write and think like idiots. Omg, english is so stupid, i can snap everybody at every subject, except english, because english is just about trying to be stupid, and everybody in my grade is born stupid, so they have an unfair advantage.
lol, that's funny - but yeah, I'm afriad my UAI will be negatively affected due to the bullshitting subject known as english

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
Why the hell would he flee the country? Escaping criminal conviction? Tax evasion? Fraud? Domestic violence? Family problem overseas?
We had a Year 8 DT teacher who got arrested by Federal Agents during a DT lesson (not ours), was granted bail, and two weeks later, he committed suicide.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Aerath said:
We had a Year 8 DT teacher who got arrested by Federal Agents during a DT lesson (not ours), was granted bail, and two weeks later, he committed suicide.
:O wow well I have nothing compared to that!
At my friends school, a catholic school two of the teachers ran off together because they were having an affair. They were both women though....

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
lol. i had an indian science teacher who got deported (back to india i presume)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Sarah182 said:
At my friends school, a catholic school two of the teachers ran off together because they were having an affair. They were both women though....
LOL

johony

HSC
Aerath said:
I never knew about him being arrested during class, but gee, looking back it was a very interesting time in dull old Sydney Boys.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
sikhman said:
what about people who learn using distance ed....they don't have a teacher per se and yet they can still get good marks....so student effort counts a lot...
True the teacher is not physically there, but the student is still being taught - though arguably to a lesser extent.

deliberately

HSC
-chime-

i reckon yeah it's up to both, like everyone else has said, but i'd like to point out that personally, i do so much better if i have a good teacher who actually teaches the subject with enthusiasm and enjoys being there - this year i've been lucky enough to get that with all but 2 of them. i know that inevitably we determine our own marks, but having an awesome teacher sure helps...

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
johony said:
I never knew about him being arrested during class, but gee, looking back it was a very interesting time in dull old Sydney Boys.
And then - after that, when the article appeared in the SMH, we all got pulled into the hall, and were told not to believe it. :p

hairspray

HSC
i think that students' effort is more important because at the end of the day its the student who are actually doing the HSC exams. As a student I can go out of my way to find resources if it looks as if the teacher is slacking off.

flickade4

HSC
not quite sure, she was mental anyways!
our theory is that she is in love with a gangster student that held her up against a wall that she would never shut up about!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)