Taking notes in Lectures: Laptops vs Paper. Discuss. (1 Viewer)

kietkiet

HSC
Both ? One ? More ? Kidnap lecturer and force him to summarise the notes for you ?

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I plan on scribbling down notes in lectures and making notes afterwards with the assistance of the textbooks.

Hatake88

HSC
Kidnap lecturer and have him sit the exam for you. Duh.

On a more serious note, I prefer laptop for more "wordy" subjects (e.g. sociology or psychology) while pen and paper for more mathematical ones (e.g. statistics or economics). Reasoning is, I can jot down words quickest with a laptop but copy down graphs quicker with pen and ruler.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Depends. If you get skeleton lecture notes to fill in during class, then you use those. If not, paper.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Paper!!! laptop = internet... internet = nothing done...

enoilgam

HSC
It depends on the person really - I'd prefer paper because it is a pain lugging a laptop around and realistically, the Laptop offers no real advantage to paper beyond being a distraction.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
It depends on the person really - I'd prefer paper because it is a pain lugging a laptop around and realistically, the Laptop offers no real advantage to paper beyond being a distraction.
Faster typing. That's all I can think of.

But my line of study is going to need paper, just as my high school study did so.

superesse

HSC
N/A
Planning to use a tablet, since it is easier for me to compile and organise notes that way. I become a little too much of an unnecessary perfectionist when it comes to writing notes on paper.

HSC
For bulk information units I will probably use my iPad with the bluetooth keyboard and use the app Pages.. For units that require maths, lots of chemical equations and diagrams I will use paper.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I couldn't make notes on my ipad. It was way to hard...

I'd prefer to make notes the old fashioned way, scribbles and all & then when I got home would fill in all the gaps on my laptop and organise my notes that way. Then print them off and put them in folders.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
fk laptops and pen/paper, I'm whipping out my type writer.

ps. Also helps with the indie look.

Lina3

HSC
I was considering using a laptop (or some sort of voice recording device) to record my lectures. Would this be a practical idea?

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I was considering using a laptop (or some sort of voice recording device) to record my lectures. Would this be a practical idea?
My sister did that back in the 90s with a tape recorder. I'm pretty sure doing it now is still a good idea.

D94

HSC
N/A
Planning to use a tablet, since it is easier for me to compile and organise notes that way. I become a little too much of an unnecessary perfectionist when it comes to writing notes on paper.
Yes, easier to compile and organise, but to write/type, no way.

superesse

HSC
N/A
Yes, easier to compile and organise, but to write/type, no way.
Oh, I will be using a Windows tablet, so it comes with the attachable keyboard. Of course, using a tablet without an attachable keyboard is understandably quite difficult to type with, but otherwise it is much the same as a laptop (except lighter) for me.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Can't you use a stylus with the tablet and draw your own chemical equations and mathematical working?

I'd still prefer paper all day every day except when modelling or using maple/geogebra or other programs.

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
Theoretical based such as Humanities, Management, Marketing, Law etc. subjects - I use a laptop
Quantitative based such as Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering, Finance etc. subjects - I use a book/paper

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)