Swine Virus (1 Viewer)

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Another moral panic by the media. An isolated outbreak in Mexico does not equate do an international pandemic. I'm sure we have the requisite anti-toxins that Mexico doesn't have, considering we are a first world country.

DTFM

HSC
Another moral panic by the media. An isolated outbreak in Mexico does not equate do an international pandemic. I'm sure we have the requisite anti-toxins that Mexico doesn't have, considering we are a first world country.
It is not an isolated outbreak in Mexico.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
There's an outbreak in Canada. I'd call that a first-world country.
As would I, but afaik there has been no deaths there? Presumably due to first-world heathcare? As I said, if someone dies, as opposed to just contracting the disease, in Canada/New Zealand/Spain/other first world countries, then I will believe it is a pandemic.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Lol failure to read the LOQ
(i laughed :eek:)
A bit unfortunate that more people didn't laugh.

In the public interest I feel I must make a press release: I was joking. One would have thought that the below line would have given things away really.

Me said:
Everything which happened after a vaccine can be directly attributed to a vaccine

johony

HSC

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Yes, but it only protects against particular strains of H1N1. Swine H1N1 isn't synthesised for a vaccine yet.
From what I heard this is an evolution/combination of swine H1N1 and human H1N1, it would still provide some protection.

boris

Banned
HSC
This is a very very serious virus.

Swine flu unlike bird flu spreads from person to person and mutates rapidly. With todays rapid transportation systems such as trains and planes this has the potential to kill millions. It is similar to the spanish flu that killed half a million people.
There could be lots of people who are infected and don't even know it, This could turn out to be like something out of 12 monkeys.

Basically try and avoid overcrowded areas as much as you can.

try 75 million

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
Man, free vaccines are being offered at work...i should really get onto this while i still can hey.

boris

Banned
HSC
It's not hype you fool. This flu is following exactly the same pattern as the Spanish flu of 1918, which killed more people than WW1 - about 50 million to be exact.

Add modern air travel to that and denser populations and game over.

For reference, a comparison of this flu and the Spanish flu compared to ordinary influenza. Note how these flus are special in that they target primarily young healthy people rather than children and elderly, by way of triggering a cytokine storm in strong immune systems:

File:W curve.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Normal yearly influenza kills about 5% of all hospitalised cases. This influenza is killing 5 to 10% of ALL cases, hospitalised or not. For every 1000 people infected, 100 die. If you extrapolate that to the entire world, that's almost a billion people dead.
wow i like your maths skillz

boris

Banned
HSC
It is interesting that this virus has hardly touched the uncivilised contintents (South America, Africa, Asia).
no it isn't

not interesting in the slightest

mexico is one of the most overcroweded dirty shitholes in the world.

illiterary

HSC
Bangladesh? Bangladesh is pretty underrated when it comes to ranking overpopulated shitholes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)