Supplementary Texts - Physical (1 Viewer)

Emma_Jane

HSC
Related Material

White Oleander is a novel and a movie that can be related to Physical Journeys.

Emma

pommy

HSC
thanks the the heaps long list of books, movies and stuff but do you now which books are crime books for physical journeies because thats what im tryin to find because thats wat im interested in. thanks

amyr4887

HSC
does ne one have notes that i could have on ne song lyrics??? need asap

davo_

good kid
HSC
Some of you seem to be suggesting stories about migrants and whatnot because they'll be easier to make links, you have to realise that although it might be easier but your marks probably won't be as good. The texts I used last year were the song "I was only 19" by Redgum and the movie Stand by Me. Songs are good because they're easy to remember quotes from (thats not just for phys. journeys - but anything). Also have a look Andrew Denton's Enough Rope site, there's some good interviews there with people who have been on physical journeys (I think his name is Aron Ralston?: the guy who had to chop his arm off to survive). Another good idea is to look at backpacker/travel websites, there are some good articles in places like that about physical journeys. And photographs and cartoons are usually fairly good and easy enough to find.
I found it easy enough to create links between the poems and most texts, if you find a good physical journey (say text that you actually enjoy), you should find it easy enough to describe and connect to the poems...
Hope I've been of some help.

NEED HELP

HSC
Choctop said:
I think Shrek is an excellent example of the classic physical journey and it's easy to relate the film to Skrzynecki's poems- both main characters feel alienated in their new locations, etc, etc. Oh and if anyone has problems remembering how to spell Skrzynecki, here's a little trick me and my friends use. Just pronounce it in your head like it should be spelt- Skerzy- Necky. Well, it helped us! Heh....
cheers!! i will use that

lil_nat_cat

HSC
I'm doing Skrzynecki's poems on Physical journeys................ONE of my RELATED is Roberto Benigni's Italian film LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL...................................

I just found out that its a PRESCRIBED text for IMAGINATIVE JOURNEYS!!!!!!!
Omg..................

Does that mean I'm not allowed to have it as one of my related materials even though I'm doing Physical journeys not imaginative?!!?!?!??! Is that possible?!?!?!?!?!!?

My teacher has marked my essays and she hasn't said anything about it.................but that worries me, what if she never knew if was a prescribed text coz nobody at my school isn't doing that for a prescribed text?!?!?!

HELP!

sly fly

HSC
Anyone know of any feature articles for physical? One where u dont need to subscribe to something in order to gain access to it lol. Even a short story would be good!

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC

Ithaca
As you set out for Ithaca
hope your road is a long one,
full of adventure, full of discovery.
Laistrygonians, Cyclops,
angry Poseidon - don't be afraid of them:
you' ll never find things like that on your way
as long as you keep your thoughts raised high,
as long as a rare excitement
stirs your spirit and your body.
Laistrygonians, Cyclops,
wild Poseidon - you won't encounter them
unless you bring them along inside your soul,
unless your soul sets them up in front of you.

Hope your road is a long one.
May there be many summer mornings when,
with what pleasure, what joy,
you enter harbours you're seeing for the first time;
may you stop at Phoenician trading stations
to buy fine things,
mother of pearl and coral, amber and ebony,
sensual perfume of every kind -
as many sensual perfumes as you can;
and may you visit many Egyptian cities
to learn and go on learning from their scholars.

Keep Ithaca always in your mind.
Arriving there is what you're destined for.
But don't hurry the journey at all.
Better if it lasts for years,
so you're old by the time you reach the island,
wealthy with all you've gained on the way,
not expecting Ithaca to make you rich.

Ithaca gave you the marvelous journey.
Without her you wouldn't have set out.
She has nothing left to give you now.
And if you find her poor, Ithaca won't have fooled you.
Wise as you will have become, so full of experience,
you'll have understood by then what these Ithakas mean.

K.Kavafis

http://srs.dl.ac.uk/people/pantos/kavafis_ithaca.html

This poem is just amazing..

demonomaniac

HSC
physical journey..or just spiritual?

hi ,i was wondering if anybody could tell me whether 'the secret garden' by frances hodgson burnett would be considered a physical journey? although the main character travels from india to england and to the secret garden..shes not travelling the entire time.I have been told by sum ppl that its more of an inner journey,but its the physical journey she takes that makes it so..pllllllllllz can sum1 tell me whether i should keep this as my supp material ..or choose anutha one...(stand by me the film is my utha supp material)

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
demonomaniac said:
hi ,i was wondering if anybody could tell me whether 'the secret garden' by frances hodgson burnett would be considered a physical journey? although the main character travels from india to england and to the secret garden..shes not travelling the entire time.I have been told by sum ppl that its more of an inner journey,but its the physical journey she takes that makes it so..pllllllllllz can sum1 tell me whether i should keep this as my supp material ..or choose anutha one...(stand by me the film is my utha supp material)
demonomaniac, I haven't read the text

But you can argue that it is the physical journey that brought about the change in the traveller. That is the important thing.

It doesn't need to be a constant movement, it could be seeing beggers on the road while travelling to the supermarket, and after the event, the person reflects on what he/she saw...

Sorry, I'm getting rusty.

shortay

HSC
need help

any notes on we all fall down (book) i need notes please

babywhitto

does anyone have the "mr curly transports wayard pilgrims away" cartoon...i think thats what it is called...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)