suit colour (1 Viewer)

repz

HSC
does it matter what colour the suit is
or should i just go with black for an interview

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
In my opinion Black's nice and universal; you're not going to have to worry about fashion or whatever. I think if you're getting a first suit (which I'm assuming you're doing, or else probably wouldn't be asking), it's the best way to go -- if you got say, a navy one with pinstripes (they can look godawful, but also really good, somtimes), you can't exactly wear that to a funeral when it comes around. Or other formal do's.

Black's the way to go, with a light coloured shirt and tie.

Oh, when you're looking at the suits, my advice would be to check which pockets are real, and which are fake. A lot of cheap suits have fake pockets in the jacket, which gets very annoying sometimes, and might be worth the extra $50 to have somewhere to keep your bits and pieces -- ie keys, which fall out of some suit pant pockets very easily.

Good luck with the inteview!

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Black is the way to go for a first suit I think. It goes with anything and it is the most flexible for any situation.

I recently obtained my first suit -- Pierre Cardin dark navy (but it looks black, you honestly cannot tell that it is navy), with subtle white pinstripes. Very nice lightweight wool. Plus PC allows you to buy separate pants so eventually if you need a new pair you can just replace them without buying a new suit entirely. You can also mix and match pants and jacket sizes, which is can be a problem for other suit brands. Cost $600 in total, including 2 pairs of pants (but it was on sale at the time, could be more now).

All the PC suits I tried were particularly comforable, I would recommend them. Dark gray suits can look very suave as well, but it is more of a supplement after the mandatory black one.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
First black, second think about navy, gray, pinstripes.

Black can be worn to an interview, formal, wedding, funeral or job. Black is the most universal. Though importantly you want to lighten it up with your shirt and tie.

If you're really stuck then sit on a bench in Martin Place and suit spy, check out what styles and colours you want.

(Note: you want single breasted not double)

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
...Cost $600 in total, including 2 pairs of pants (but it was on sale at the time, could be more now).
Wow! I'm impressed. Where from? -- or does PC have their own stores...? (Shows how down with suits I am; warning about buying ones with fake pockets, then asking about where they sell them... ;)) (BTW the fake-pocketed ones were from Roger David for $150. Avoid.)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I'm a fan of black, or otherwise navy...but I don't like pinstripes and stuff.

Keep in mind, if you buy separates...theres lots of different blacks out there, so try to get everything you need at the one time, from the one line, so you're not wearing different blacks at once.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Are you sure the pockets are fake? I got a dirt cheap new suit and i had to cut open the pockets. The guy in the store told me all suits come with either partialy sititched up pockets or fully closed pockets he said it was you could tell if the suit was new or not.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
I'd say black is fine or navy, don't get anythign with gold buttons though :)

Most suits I have seen in stores had their pockets stitched up and some even the holes for buttons.

I did see some nice genuine Pierre jackets for $80 and suits for $150 when I was in the UAE. A lot of the teachers bought a heap before coming back home. Pierre shirts for $20 :cool:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh the pockets are meant to be stitched up.

I wore a dark grey suit to my job interview for Accounting.. it all depends what job it is though? Some people wore light brown/grey suits? A few navy blue too~

kylie_robbo

Black is far more professional and universal than any other colour.

Looking at my formal photos from last year, most guys were in a black suit. Two were in white (or off-white) and one was in navy, but he was in some kind of military uniform.

At a formal event that I went to on Saturday night (end of year dinner with a uni bunch... Not black-tie, but semi-formal) there was no navy suits. All except for two were in black pants and jacket, one was in black pants with white jacket and the other was in white suit...

If you ever wear a white suit, please do not wear a white shirt under it... Does not look good...

But seriously, go for a black suit... Looks far more stunning than a coloured one...

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
KylieR said:
If you ever wear a white suit, please do not wear a white shirt under it... Does not look good...
Anyone who wears a white suit needs to do the whole miami vice look otherwise it doesn't work. Miami Vice invented the white suit :uhhuh:
http://www.miami-vice.org/pictures/donjohnson/04.jpg

Better shot but around 160k in size including the shoes, man you gotta do the shoes with no socks with a white suit too.
http://www.universal-pictures.de/tv/downloads/get_paper/wp_miami_vice_1_800.jpg

Last edited:

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Don't buy microfibre either. Anyone who knows abything about suits will tell you microfibre is a HUGE no no for professionals.

Btw, Black would be my choice.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
black or very very dark grey...
although light grey can be awesome, i wouldnt do it for an interview

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
In general it is easier to look dignified, mature, etc in black white should only be used very very sparingly eg if you are in the tropics drinking whiskey and saying things like "damn this war" or alternatively are going to the highest level of formal wear occassion. That is a state ball on the titanic.

Arvin Sloane

We are not amused.
HSC
1. Never, ever, never, use the outside pockets of a jacket. You will destroy the shape of the jacket by doing this. WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE JACKET?! :eek:
2. I number of fashion things I've read suggest a navy suit is, in fact, a better first choice. Black can seem old-fashioned, funeral, and rather dour. But a navy suit suggests a certain amount of style, elegance and modernity.
3. Agreed-double breasted is only for rotund Americo-Italian gangster type people.
4. For the love of god STAY AWAY from pinstripes. I think they are passe beyond belief; and usally only look good in rather expensive suits.

And I quote:

One of the first things a potential employer will notice during an interview is your attire, so wearing a suit is a smart (and safe) choice. But a double-breasted suit is not recommended. For men, job interviews usually call for a navy or gray conservative three-button single-breasted suit. Wear it with a white long-sleeve, button-down dress shirt and a conservative silk tie.

Below are some more fashion tips that will help you dress for success:

Wear clean and polished conservative dress shoes.
Get a proper hairstyle and keep it well-groomed.
Make sure you don't have body odor and go light on the jewelry and cologne.
Keep your breath fresh and make sure to brush your teeth, wash your face, and shave before stepping out of the house.
Keep your fingernails clean, short and well-trimmed.
Finally, make sure your posture and firm handshake prove that you're the man for the job. Break a leg.
http://www.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip_200/206_fashion_advice.html

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I have very faint pinstripes on mine.. looked fine. Although it was a cheap suit (yr10 work experience!)... I plan on buying a proper one when I start working next yr.

For job interview, unless it's an arty/creative/marketing type job, don't wear something too bright/bold.

UGFighter

HSC
striped suits are all the rage now apparently... personally, i don't like them

i got a jet black suit tailor made, it's awesome.. appropriate for anything from an interview, work, lunch at est.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
ROFL I'm more ... in case I gain (or lose) weight in the next 6 mths, I can wait before I buy a proper suit.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Very subtle pinstripes can work and they help to make short men look taller.

Personally I would steer clear of a white shirt/black suit combo you will look like a funeral director wear a light pastel colour maybe blue? and an appropriate tie. You want them to know that you are young vibrant, fresh ideas, etc. Avoid conveying that you're gay (even if you are).

Posture posture posture. In the best suit in the world a sloucher still looks like shit, stand up straight. Remember that suits are derived from military uniform and so they make you look your best when you have posture not a slouch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)