studying for economics (1 Viewer)

bouncing

HSC
how do you guys do it?

woudl you advise doing textbook questions?
reading websites?
making notes (dot points arent that clear more just sort of
economic growth - trends etc etc) nothing too specific

anyone have any tips?

irvine

USYD 2011 :D
HSC
I started out making notes but I got lazy and have been reduced to rote learning responses to the Dixon workbook (week before exam). We cover the content in class and get homework but for exams I just memorise those responses.
I guess it's probably bad and inefficient but it helps me to remember everything- there's so much content!
Mnemonics are also a favourite of mine too, as there tends to be a lot of lists in economics...

bouncing

HSC
i kow !
and the causes and effects when you get up to topic 3 damn ... tat shit is hard to remember (unless u understand it fully in which case u can just deduce it )
farout :mad:
hate economics

twistedrebel

HSC
topic 1: globalisation
topic 2: Australia in global economy
topic 3 and topic 4 are policies, cant remember their exacts names

bouncing

HSC
topic 3 is economic issues and
topic 4 is effectiveness of policies (both macro and micro)

my school is teaching topic 3 and 4 first?? i dont know why! :(

is topic 1 and 2 interesting?

ash_xx

HSC
N/A

no LOL. well i didnt really like it. topic 2 is better than topic 1 tho :)
and yes studyign for eco is the worst. tho it really helps if you can understand the concepts so it makes getting down causes and effects easier :) i do a bit of rote learning if im out of time and understanding hah ><

Kralex

HSC

Topic 1 and topic 2 is very interesting. I liked them anyway.

Jess100uai

HSC
Actually teaching topics 3 and 4 first makes a lot of sense
cause its sorta relevant to preliminary topics!
AND topic 1 and two needs a lot of recent statistics, so it saves the effort of looking for new stats when the hsc and trials comes around

bouncing

HSC
Actually teaching topics 3 and 4 first makes a lot of sense
cause its sorta relevant to preliminary topics!
AND topic 1 and two needs a lot of recent statistics, so it saves the effort of looking for new stats when the hsc and trials comes around
oh dear..
what textbooks is everyone using?
ive got some crappy 2008 version :( statistics aren't that great.. and when they atalk about "current stances of fiscal policy" it is not even current -____-
sigh

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
im using tim dixon. I hate it. its too brief

anyway, from easiest to hardest, I'd say:
- topic 1 is the easiest (globalisation - just memorise everything)
- topic 3. It's okay I guess. Just all the Economics Issues stuff
- topic 4. This is when you have to tie everything together and link different concepts together in order analyse different policies and the effect on the economy. dunno how to explain it but basically you have to focus on everything in this topic
- topic 2 - I found the BOP and CAD difficult to understand.

so yeah. to study for economics, make notes!!! and also, try to make sure you know how to link different topics together. e.g. How does the CAD affect Economic Growth?
Make sure you know your concepts well. in addition, you need to have examples, know your graphs and CURRENT AFFAIRS!!!!!

In your notes, structure it like this: What? Why/How? and the impact on people, the economy, governments, firms,etc.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC

- topic 4. This is when you have to tie everything together and link different concepts together in order analyse different policies and the effect on the economy. dunno how to explain it but basically you have to focus on everything in this topic

so yeah. to study for economics, make notes!!! and also, try to make sure you know how to link different topics together. e.g. How does the CAD affect Economic Growth?
Make sure you know your concepts well. in addition, you need to have examples, know your graphs and CURRENT AFFAIRS!!!!!

In your notes, structure it like this: What? Why/How? and the impact on people, the economy, governments, firms,etc.

bouncing

HSC

YOU HAVE ALREADY LEARNT THE ENTIRE SYLLABUS??? despite doing hsc int eh same year as me!??!?! what okay you freka me out

but thanks for the tips!!!!

yeah.. bop and cad :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: we touched on that in topic 3 and it was pretty damn hard...

oh another thing, how do you guys set up your notes? tables? or just straight boring down teh page... its so hard to engage with a sheet of like 600 words :(

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
topic 3 & 4 have the most overloaded content, we did both first

just little topic 1 & 2 left.

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
with notes, i do dotpoints straight down the page; it looks boring but i get by. i try to bold/underline/italicise certain words to make the page look more interesting. and use different coloured highlighters.
i just try to do lots and lots of hsc questions so i know the main areas they ask about and what kind of answers are expected. learning all the trends and dates and can be a bit of a bitch though. i just try to cut out all the unnecessary junk.
i use riley mainly and reference back with bulmer. hardly open my dixon book at all actually.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
no matter how much study i do for economics.. i always manage to stuff up the essay -___- gotta write up essays and crap from now on

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
no matter how much study i do for economics.. i always manage to stuff up the essay -___- gotta write up essays and crap from now on
Same here, no matter how much you know, if you cannot structure a good essay, manage your time well, and write relevant information to the question... you can never do well :(

bouncing

HSC
with notes, i do dotpoints straight down the page; it looks boring but i get by. i try to bold/underline/italicise certain words to make the page look more interesting. and use different coloured highlighters.
i just try to do lots and lots of hsc questions so i know the main areas they ask about and what kind of answers are expected. learning all the trends and dates and can be a bit of a bitch though. i just try to cut out all the unnecessary junk.
i use riley mainly and reference back with bulmer. hardly open my dixon book at all actually.

so you think riley is better?
i dont mind dixon its just that with an older version some parts are a tad bit irrelevant!

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
so you think riley is better?
i dont mind dixon its just that with an older version some parts are a tad bit irrelevant!
i sometimes feel that dixon's a bit.. wishywashy lol? i just feel that riley gets to the point, he's clear, and even though he has a whole heap of unnecessary statistics in every sentence.. at least you have all that info and you can pick and choose what you need (like to put into essays to back up a particular point or something).

i think a mixture of bulmer + riley is the best. bulmer is succint and easy to understand, and riley puts in all the bits that bulmer may have been a bit too succint with. that's my opinion anyway. i guess you can do well with any book though, if you have the motivation. this guy at my school a few years back was an eco whizz and he liked dixon way better than riley.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)