Study Discussion (1 Viewer)

4theHSC

HSC
Hey guys, well year 11 is finished for most of the subjects and i just wanted to know your plans and the ways you are going to study for year 12? what kinds of methods do you use? For example are you going to memorise all your science notes and english essays?
Also for the 08'ers is there life in the HSC? or does all the oxygen get sucked out of your lungs in this final year?

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Re: What is next for the 09er's?

4theHSC said:
Hey guys, well year 11 is finished for most of the subjects and i just wanted to know your plans and the ways you are going to study for year 12? what kinds of methods do you use? For example are you going to memorise all your science notes and english essays?
Also for the 08'ers is there life in the HSC? or does all the oxygen get sucked out of your lungs in this final year?
Well I've been distracted too much this year by my computer and ipod so I'm trying to get over those and try and study consistently, instead of resorting to cramming - which I did in Year 11.

I don't believe in memorising essays - they don't work. So I'm just going to try and fully understand my modules and remember key quotes and facts which I can use to support my argument.

jellybelly59

HSC

4theHSC said:
creating a realistic study timetable tommorow which i 'intend' to stick to. Ways of studying = study a bit everyday instead of cramming like nathan said :D. Ill probably just make study notes under each dotpoint of the syllabus as i go through the hsc and just do heaps of practice papers and write practice essays. I don't believe in remembering essays either, just the main points and quotes. LOL oh and i attempt to actually read ALL of my prescribed text this year taking all the notes down. Maths just = practice practice practice so that's all my study.

4theHSC said:
I think the latter but that is dependent on many factors including how well organised you are,how dedicated you are to your studies and whether or not you have that extra bit of natural talent to assist the heavy workload.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

jellybelly59 said:
creating a realistic study timetable tommorow which i 'intend' to stick to. Ways of studying = study a bit everyday instead of cramming like nathan said :D. Ill probably just make study notes under each dotpoint of the syllabus as i go through the hsc and just do heaps of practice papers and write practice essays. I don't believe in remembering essays either, just the main points and quotes. LOL oh and i attempt to actually read ALL of my prescribed text this year taking all the notes down. Maths just = practice practice practice so that's all my study.

I think the latter but that is dependent on many factors including how well organised you are,how dedicated you are to your studies and whether or not you have that extra bit of natural talent to assist the heavy workload.
Exactly what I'm planning to do - I think it will be a lot better than the cramming I did this year.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

the-derivative said:
Exactly what I'm planning to do - I think it will be a lot better than the cramming I did this year.
It's probably easier said than done though. =\

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

It may be a stupid plan but this is my plan next year: I am going to go out more and play a lot more to make up for all those stress I will experience next year. However, I will make sure I study consistently. I am actually quite proud of what I have achieved this year. Marks aren't as great as I wanted them to be but meh, I never achieve my set target anyway. And as the-derivitive said, I used to resort to cramming now and then but I will definitely stop that now. But now I know exactly how to tackle senior-level studies as I have experience during yr 11 now. I know exactly where my strengths and weaknesses are. And I did have an opportunity to study consistently, something which I managed to do before, during and after my exams. I am especially satisfied with that.

I will study consistently 2-3 hours a day and play whenever I can find opportunities in but play as in "exercise, do sports and talk more with others" that would really help with my social life, sporting life, body and other things that would really physically develop me further. I really reckon that good soul and body is necessary for good study plan and to implement that plan and hence a good UAI.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

lyounamu said:
It may be a stupid plan but this is my plan next year: I am going to go out more and play a lot more to make up for all those stress I will experience next year. However, I will make sure I study consistently. I am actually quite proud of what I have achieved this year. Marks aren't as great as I wanted them to be but meh, I never achieve my set target anyway. And as the-derivitive said, I used to resort to cramming now and then but I will definitely stop that now.

I will study consistently 2-3 hours a day and play whenever I can find opportunities in but play as in "exercise, do sports and talk more with others" that would really help with my social life, sporting life, body and other things that would really physically develop me further. I really reckon that good soul and body is necessary for good study plan and to implement that plan and hence a good UAI.
Sounds good to me, though. You need to reach a compromise between a social and academic life, and to me, that seems like it.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Aerath said:
Sounds good to me, though. You need to reach a compromise between a social and academic life, and to me, that seems like it.
Yeah - I don't think I'll significantly change my life next year. I'm still going to do all the sports I do, I'm still going to go on MSN, I'm still going to listen to music and go out - I'll just do those activities less and do more study.

Baggygreen408

HSC

Everyone places emphasis upon the HSC- it is the main focus of year 12. but don't forget... enjoy the final year of school...

Kujah

HSC
N/A

lyounamu said:
It may be a stupid plan but this is my plan next year: I am going to go out more and play a lot more to make up for all those stress I will experience next year. However, I will make sure I study consistently. I am actually quite proud of what I have achieved this year. Marks aren't as great as I wanted them to be but meh, I never achieve my set target anyway. And as the-derivitive said, I used to resort to cramming now and then but I will definitely stop that now. But now I know exactly how to tackle senior-level studies as I have experience during yr 11 now. I know exactly where my strengths and weaknesses are. And I did have an opportunity to study consistently, something which I managed to do before, during and after my exams. I am especially satisfied with that.

Thats good. The HSC seriously isn't as cranked as up as it is to be. You'll still have a lot of time to do your other things as well.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Kujah said:
Thats good. The HSC seriously isn't as cranked as up as it is to be. You'll still have a lot of time to do your other things as well.
We better. Otherwise I'm going to go nuts.

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC

4theHSC said:
I don't think the key is to memorise all your notes per se. If you believe in repetition and thorough study (by making quality notes/summaries and looking at them again and again, refining them too, during the HSC period) then you will learn the material and will be able to apply the knowledge effectively, and not just have memorised a bunch of random information.

With English, you're better off making and remembering/stressing key points/arguments and strong opening essay paragraphs than trying to memorise and mould a whole essay to a particular question (in an exam). That part is useless and basically a waste of time.

There is a life in the HSC if you choose. Know the line between study and recreational activities, and apply appropriate time to both. Don't just work work work or you'll probably have a mental breakdown. You can keep a healthy social life, and still dedicate time to your HSC. It's not the major juggling act that it's made out to be. The HSC will only suck the life out of you if you let it.

Good luck, Xx.

Last edited:

2S1D3

HSC

lyounamu said:

That's a nice plan, I wish I had something like that and your mindset. It's good to balance your life when you are in the HSC, don't study like 8 hours straight in a day, because by the end of your study sessions you will be drained out. And also try to go to as many 18ths as possible, you get to socialize a lot more.

kinka11

HSC

my advice for anyone doing the HSC= organisation

thats the key

plan your work and work the plan

good luck to every doing it atm, it sucks studying on 33 degree sunday days but in the end we can tan forever
xx

jellybelly59

HSC
study time

Hey i was just talking to a bunch of ppls on msn from boredofstudies regarding making a timetable... and i just wanted to ask what is the recommended amount hrs of study per unit a week for a yr 12 student? I remember the liasion officer that came to my school said 2 hrs of study per unit a week... my memory is kinda foggy so i just need some confirmation please.

Justina

HSC
Re: study time

only 2 hours? I would have thought it'd be more than that.....

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC

we've been told that it is 4hours per subject so yes 2hrs per unit will work out to 4 hours a week for a 2U subject

Last edited:

dior1

HSC
N/A

Yeah 2-3 sounds about right.

Can you please post this timetable when finished :D :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)