• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Student Services and Amenities Fee (1 Viewer)

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Re: Wut? Help.

You can thank Gillard and the lefties on campus for this slugging of students.

These compulsory fees were banned by the Howard Government as they were usually used to feather the nests of left wing political hacks on campus. Now they are back.

Deplorable. Students are the ones that can least afford these fees. The left on campus demanded this fee at the same time they were going on about student poverty and hecs increases! And they claimed to speak for all students. I suspect most students don't want to be slugged $250.
yeah so you know you get to put this on that interest free loan you get from the government?
*Labor.

Honestly, you can't spell the name of one of the two major Australian parties, yet you complain about the political process?
He's right though, you can't deny him that. University students have to pay an extra $200+ (the price isn't important) a year to provide for other people's interests. Why?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

*Labor.

Honestly, you can't spell the name of one of the two major Australian parties, yet you complain about the political process?
To be fair, 'the Australian Labor Party' is perhaps the only instance here where we are to spell 'labour' the "American" way.

X

xeuyrawp

He's right though, you can't deny him that. University students have to pay an extra $200+ (the price isn't important) a year to provide for other people's interests. Why?
I honestly don't care. These things flip back and forward in Australia.

I personally support them, but given that most people on bos are sheltered libertarians who live out of their parents' pockets / basements, I'm sure I'll get flamed and don't really care to argue their point.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

Why do you support them though? I'm not trying to start a "fuck da gubmint" thread, either. I'm curious as to why anyone would support this and what the actual outcome of such an initiative is meant to be.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC

I don't want any of those services

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

Yes I failed English in school and I have no clue how I even got into high school, let alone university.

I wanted a discussion to elaborate on this situation because I never heard about it. That said, this landed in my junk so I thought it was a complete joke (because really, it does sound like a joke). Even then, what does " fee for student services and amenities of a non-academic nature" include? Does that mean I have to pay to use the university toilets? It's very ambiguous, hence I asked for some clarification.
Law's going to be a bit of a bitch for you.

steve13

HSC
At UWA we have Student Services and Amenities Fee of $198. I quote from the enrollment handbook "SSAF income is not used, and can not be used, to support political parties and associated activities." We will see...

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad

It's a new thing so I don't know how it's going to work... I don't think many people know how it's going to work.

From what I've read, we all have to pay it apparently and Arc membership is just discounted - not made free. (as of right now the cost to join Arc is $29, down from $69)
I think it's free now. Check the arc website.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Why do you support them though? I'm not trying to start a "fuck da gubmint" thread, either. I'm curious as to why anyone would support this and what the actual outcome of such an initiative is meant to be.
Nothing comes for free, and most student services/unions run at a massive loss but provide a great service that most students will never even know about or think about.

sixmillion

HSC
N/A
A background to 'the system'

Background:

The rampant liberal is right. The fee is a reintroduced fee that applied a few years ago. It covered lots of things you would expect or want your Uni to provide, such as free access to sporting fields/facilities, counseling, child minding, club's, societies as well as a few extras (a minority of which weren't much good).

As student fee covered it, the Uni's didn't.. until the rug was pulled, then all of a sudden many Uni's recognized that these services were important so they picked up some of the tab. It depended on your Uni and allot of the services went to the wall... waiting on the reinstated legislation that took years to come through. Those that did survive have begged borrowed and brown nosed to get buy. Most Uni's offering funding forced drastic changes that happen to mean they have absolute power over them (even though most are run by volunteers).

The Real Deal:

So what's it to me?

It means you should be getting your money's worth. The surviors are leaner and meaner ever... but so are some of the Uni's.

The legislation is just grey enough to leave the ultimate call in the hands of our betters. Typically a board of old men who want a building with there name on it more than an dynamic and functional Uni. A few clicks of the keyboard and magically you have student services without a ONE SINGLE ADDITIONAL DOLLAR SPENT.

Yep, chances are, YOU WILL PROBABLY PAY $263 A YEAR FOR NOTHING .... well if you’re at every second University in the country (ANU and Melbourne are the only Uni's that have so far agreed that they will spend it, or most of it).

But hang on... that's allot of money... say 20,000 students at $263... over 5 million dollars!

How is it done? Well, say you have a Uni Gym, they are open to the public, run at a tidy profit and o-yeah, they let students attend (with a modest discount that doesn't get in the way of a profit). But how much does it cost to run the gym?... lets say 5 million dollars.

Cap in hand, the uni can say in all 'honesty', 'we spend 5 million dollars on sport', which by the way qualifies as a service.

It can be more complicated, but only if your uni is worried about getting put in the spotlight.

Don't worry, they will add it to your student loan, and charge you interest...

So what happens to the money? Well, that gets pilled on the huge profit your uni is already making (what they can't hide or waste they call surplus… that turns into a building with guess who’s name on it).... oh and part will go on bonuses to the senior execs who make budget... after all, more money makes them look more efficient :0)

Conclusion;

Take a closer look yourself, but remember, they have the survivors (including your student reps, ARC, club, guild, society or whoever) hanging by a very thin thread so it's going to take serious Cojohnes to push for what should be legally yours.

Alternately you can switch back to Facebook, after all isn't Uni the place to learn 'the system'?

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
did anyone get that email today? we're supposed to apply for SA-HELP if we want to defer our payments, right?

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Nothing comes for free, and most student services/unions run at a massive loss but provide a great service that most students will never even know about or think about.
Why am I paying for things that I will never know about?

X

xeuyrawp

So your argument perhaps ought to be 'Why do I not know about them?' not 'Why am I benefiting from things I don't know about?' (which is really what your argument is).

Perhaps the answer is that services don't really get their messages across, which is unsurprising...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
What Pwar said, or simply because you come to expect them to be a service that you have the right to receive. It's kinda like insurance, you wonder why the hell you pay for it, until you're put into a situation where it finally pays itself off. You could not pay for it and incur the significant burden when the time comes, but and this is something that will shock you, perhaps you are paying to keep services that ANY student can access and hey perhaps you'll never have to use any of the support services on offer at your respective university, but if you or someone you know does, then you might change your mind.

Not everyone at university can afford to splurge on everything however and education's role isn't to stop someone intelligent enough to succeed but is too disadvantaged socially or otherwise from continuing their studies should some sort of problem arise.

sixmillion

HSC
N/A
That's the wrong question. The real question is Why are you paying for Nothing (extra)? or Why aren' t the Uni's providing this stuff so we can spend the extra money on what we want? Why don't people want to scream enough it enough? Are we really that lame?

sixmillion

HSC
N/A
It's not about UNIONS, student services are provided by employees, students, alumni, the public etc in the form of Guilds, Clubs, Organisations and Unions. The union structure was only ever part of the deal, the rest is volunteer based stuff. Subsidised for Students, buy students and their supporters and a trickle of money.
It not a left/right answer, don't believe anyone who thinks that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)