Student Services and Amenities Fee (1 Viewer)

acemusic415

HSC
I just received this email from UNSW and I have no clue what this is? A Students Service and Amenities Fee? Wut? When did parliament introduce this new law? What the point of this o_O. Please explain.

Cheers.

Dear X

On 11 October 2011, the Australian Parliament passed legislation allowing universities and other higher education providers to charge a fee for student services and amenities of a non-academic nature, from 2012. The annual Student Services and Amenities Fee for 2012 is $263 for full-time study ($131.50 per semester) and $131.50 for part-time ($65.75 per semester).

For further information regarding the Student Services and Amenities Fee, please visit the link here.

SA-HELP is a loan scheme that assists eligible students to pay their student services and amenities fee. Eligible students can choose to defer all or part of their fee for the relevant year. There is NO loan fee for SA-HELP.

Before deciding whether or not to make an application (open later in February), you must read theSA-HELP Information booklet so that you are aware of your obligations under this scheme. This booklet is also available from UNSW Student Central.

If you have any queries regarding this matter, please contact Student Central on 9385 8500 or emailstudentcentral@unsw.edu.au.

Kind regards,

Professor Wai Fong Chua
Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Students)
The University of New South Wales

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Wut? Help.

Yeah I got the email too. Edit: I would be able to apply for SA-HELP. YAY =]

Last edited:

acemusic415

HSC

Exactly what is it? Do you have to pay? What do you mean defer? What are you deferring exactly?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad

I assume its for ARC? No idea.

This is a fee that providers can charge their students
for student services and amenities of a non-academic
nature, such as sporting and recreational activities,
employment and career advice, child care, financial
advice and food services.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad

Hmm if it is for ARC, then would I still have to pay a membership fee to join a club?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

It's a new thing so I don't know how it's going to work... I don't think many people know how it's going to work.

From what I've read, we all have to pay it apparently and Arc membership is just discounted - not made free. (as of right now the cost to join Arc is $29, down from $69)

Selador

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

You can thank Gillard and the lefties on campus for this slugging of students.

These compulsory fees were banned by the Howard Government as they were usually used to feather the nests of left wing political hacks on campus. Now they are back.

Deplorable. Students are the ones that can least afford these fees. The left on campus demanded this fee at the same time they were going on about student poverty and hecs increases! And they claimed to speak for all students. I suspect most students don't want to be slugged $250.

acemusic415

HSC

So if you cant pay for these fees, do you use the loan as stated in the email?

acemusic415

HSC

Is this loan intended to be paid after university? Do you pay the loan back in conjunction with HECS?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Is this loan intended to be paid after university? Do you pay the loan back in conjunction with HECS?
I'm assuming it operates the same way as HECS so you would be paying back the loan as tax.

In all honesty though, I'd just pay the damn thing upfront. Cbf to fill in more paperwork.

D94

HSC
N/A

Dude, do you have a problem with reading? (serious question) All your questions are answered in the email, let me colour code.

I just received this email from UNSW and I have no clue what this is? A Students Service and Amenities Fee? Wut? When did parliament introduce this new law? What the point of this o_O. Please explain.

Cheers.

Dear X

On 11 October 2011, the Australian Parliament passed legislation allowing universities and other higher education providers to charge a fee for student services and amenities of a non-academic nature, from 2012. The annual Student Services and Amenities Fee for 2012 is $263 for full-time study ($131.50 per semester) and $131.50 for part-time ($65.75 per semester).

For further information regarding the Student Services and Amenities Fee, please visit the link here.
This really can not be any more clearer. It's essentially a fee for the non-academic side of university.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Dude, do you have a problem with reading? (serious question) All your questions are answered in the email, let me colour code.

This really can not be any more clearer. It's essentially a fee for the non-academic side of university.
haha, i love the colour coding!

acemusic415

HSC

Yes I failed English in school and I have no clue how I even got into high school, let alone university.

I wanted a discussion to elaborate on this situation because I never heard about it. That said, this landed in my junk so I thought it was a complete joke (because really, it does sound like a joke). Even then, what does " fee for student services and amenities of a non-academic nature" include? Does that mean I have to pay to use the university toilets? It's very ambiguous, hence I asked for some clarification.

Kat92

HSC

The Australian Parliament recently passed legislation allowing universities and other higher education providers to charge a Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) from 1 January 2012.

Over the coming months, the University will consult with you about the introduction of the fee, how it will be charged and how it will be spent. To give plenty of time to listen to your thoughts, the fee will not be in place until the middle of 2012.

We have been supporting student services and amenities over recent years, and are committed to continuing to provide this support. In 2011, we supported a range of student amenities and services with funding either directly or through the student associations and controlled entities. We have been continuing to invest money in the student experience, and have made improvements across our campuses and services.

The introduction of this fee is an opportunity to expand a range of services and amenities for you such as sporting clubs, accommodation and employment advice, and health and welfare.

The maximum fee is $263 per year for full time students, although exact fees for different categories of students (eg part-time, full-time etc) will be worked out with student representatives. You will be able to defer payment of the fee through the SA-HELP system, similar to HECS-HELP.

Your Voice

The Student Services and Amenities Fee is a fee to provide services and amenities for you so it important you have your say.

The Vice-Chancellor and senior managers are meeting with student representatives over the next two months to listen to students, so you can contact your student representative and let them know your thoughts.

The categories we are able to spend the fee on are:

providing food or drink to students on a campus of the higher education provider;

supporting a sporting or other recreational activity by students;

supporting the administration of a club most of whose members are students;

caring for children of students;

providing legal services to students;

promoting the health or welfare of students;

helping students secure accommodation;

helping students obtain employment or advice on careers;

helping students with their financial affairs;

helping students obtain insurance against personal accidents;

supporting debating by students;

providing libraries and reading rooms (other than those provided for academic purposes) for students;

supporting an artistic activity by students;

supporting the production and dissemination to students of media whose content is provided by students;

helping students develop skills for study, by means other than undertaking courses of study in which they are enrolled;

advising on matters arising under the higher education provider's rules (however described);

advocating students' interests in matters arising under the higher education provider's rules (however described);

giving students information to help them in their orientation; and

helping meet the specific needs of overseas students relating to their welfare, accommodation and employment.

FTW

HSC

I don't want any of this. Why should I have to pay. Thanks Labour.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Yes I failed English in school and I have no clue how I even got into high school, let alone university.

I wanted a discussion to elaborate on this situation because I never heard about it. That said, this landed in my junk so I thought it was a complete joke (because really, it does sound like a joke). Even then, what does " fee for student services and amenities of a non-academic nature" include? Does that mean I have to pay to use the university toilets? It's very ambiguous, hence I asked for some clarification.
Another example of the ATAR not being a good indicator of intelligence.

Yeah fuck you Ed Miliband.. I mean whut?

X

xeuyrawp

*Labor.

Honestly, you can't spell the name of one of the two major Australian parties, yet you complain about the political process?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)