Structuring ideas and essay for Frankenstein/BR (1 Viewer)

Dora Explorer

HSC
I just wanted to know how you would bring together your ideas in an essay. Would you keep all paragraphs addressing texts separately and at the same time keep it thematically. Eg theme then text 1 then text 2 in sep paragraphs.
Or is it better to talk about both texts in every paragraph?

Also, how do we approach the "nature" aspect in both texts? Because Frankestein embraces nature in the Romanticism way, and Blade Runner shuns all nature. I guess that would be a notable contrast then?

emmcyclopedia

HSC
I found the best way to structure my "frankenblade" essays, similar to the way you have described, is to take it one idea at a time, and one text at a time. For example:

Paragraph 1:
The significance of nature and its role in the human experience is explored in Shelley's 'Frankenstein' through her use of....

Paragraph 2:
Alternatively, Scott uses his film BR to explore the effects of over-industrialisation and the destruction of the natural environment by...

(EDIT: Can I also suggest that, at the end of your second paragraph on whichever concept you're exploring, you make a strong value statement and draw out strong conclusions/comparisons. End it off such that you ensure you've integrated your ideas across the 2 paragraphs)

Then I would continue on to my next concept/point of comparison, looking at how it is expressed in each text by using separate paragraphs. I found that trying to refer to both texts in the one paragraph is messy, and often becomes quite convoluted and hard to follow.

How would you approach the nature aspect?
Just as you would any other theme or idea within the texts - you are to compare and contrast how differences in context affect the content of the texts, the values, and the ways they are expressed.
A difference in the ideas expressed by both texts is good - not all the ideas have to be concurrent within both texts. It is okay if you find they contradict one another, that's part of the comparison.

Some questions to ask yourself:
What techniques are used in each text to highlight the significance of nature to humanity/society?
How do these different portrayals reflect the social values of the time period in which they were composed?

Above all, remember to bring it back to "values and perspectives"

:)

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I did one text at a time. Others did a theme, and talked about two texts in the same paragraph. We both did well. Ultimately, it comes down to what you feel comfortable with.

Just remember that it comes down to context. Continually ask yourself how the ideas of the two texts remain the same despite disparate contexts.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I do each text individually (with a close analysis) to find really good quotes I like and what not, making sure I'm happy with it. Then I bring them together and find things which are really in common (apart from what I've chosen in the beginning)... little things such as a small saying in a quote could apply over all the texts and then keep bringing it up in each text's analysis - it makes the argument seem coherent and you know the texts really well.

Have fun :)

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Here's how I structured my F/BR essay...

·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Introduction[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Thesis[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Context[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Frankenstein[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blade Runner[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Paragraph 1 – Language/Mis-en-scene (medium/genre)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Science/Gothic – Artificial/Natural – Art/Consumerism – Feminine/Masculine[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Paragraph 2 – Characterisation[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Women/Patriarchy – Master/Slaves[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Paragraph 3 – Symbolism[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Light: Science/Religion[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Unicorn: Dreams/Memories/Mythology/Is Deckard human?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Eye: Creation/Prejudice/Artificial Intelligence[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Conclusion[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Humanity versus Artificial Intelligence[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Existentialism, death, dehumanised, humanity, empathy, catharsis[/FONT]

Each of the bold words above is one paragraph, while the points below are issues that I addressed within each of these paragraphs. So 6 paragraphs in total, 3 which were the body of the essay.

Of the three main paragraphs, I first started off with a topic sentence. Then I would analyse Frankenstein, then Blade Runner (or vice versa). And then I would conclude the paragraph with a summary/comparison.

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I found the best way to structure my "frankenblade" essays, similar to the way you have described, is to take it one idea at a time, and one text at a time. For example:

Paragraph 1:
The significance of nature and its role in the human experience is explored in Shelley's 'Frankenstein' through her use of....

Paragraph 2:
Alternatively, Scott uses his film BR to explore the effects of over-industrialisation and the destruction of the natural environment by...

(EDIT: Can I also suggest that, at the end of your second paragraph on whichever concept you're exploring, you make a strong value statement and draw out strong conclusions/comparisons. End it off such that you ensure you've integrated your ideas across the 2 paragraphs)

Then I would continue on to my next concept/point of comparison, looking at how it is expressed in each text by using separate paragraphs. I found that trying to refer to both texts in the one paragraph is messy, and often becomes quite convoluted and hard to follow.
I did this, but as Aerath said you can separate the paragraphs into themes and talk about both texts in each paragraph :)

Just do whatever floats your boat~

kiniki

HSC
Wait, you only wrote 3 paragraphs? I'm so used to doing like 10 STEEL paragraphs hmm so far in my essay plan, it seems i'll be doing

para 1: Introduction --> talk about contexts

para 2: 1st concept in frank + technique #1

para 3: technique #2 + mary shelleys values

para 4: 1st concept in blade + 1 technique

para 5: technique #2 + values explored in the movie

then the 2nd concept in the same fashion :) or something like that!

Last edited:

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
Is there a more sophisticated, or a more marker-favoured structuring of the essay?
LOL who's using kumar's acc?

It all comes down to context but it also depends on the marker's personal quirks? e.g some markers want more integrated and intertextualised essays

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)