Strength of 2012 cohorts (1 Viewer)

michaeljennings

HSC
haha yea ofc, trust ruse to be busy studying and how's baulko 2012 -to stay on topic?
Dont know enough to say really, TBH this years year 12 grade and the grade before us were pretty terrible but we still managed to stay top 5.

The only indication though would be the Accelerants for Economics (the only subject we accelerate). When people in my grade did accelerate eco there were 2 classes. Out of the 40 or so that did it 35+ of them got Band 6s. They also took out 19 of the top 20 rankings for Economics in our school that year the only person who was in the top 20 who wasnt accelerated was the guy who came first (and ended up topping the state)

However this year for Economics, the Accelerants let down the whole cohort, only like 5 of them were in the top 20. Usually we rely on them to pull our marks up because they should be acing the HSC. 2 years ago the person ranked 10th got an internal mark of 95, however this year the person ranked 10th got an internal mark of 92. So judging by those who did accelerated economics it would be fair to say their grade isnt as strong as ours but then again you cant really judge a whole cohort on just 1 subject in which only about 40 of them were doing the subject.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm nowhere near that level, I just hope I can cope with the competition since I'm joining as a new student next year xD
I guess everyone picks up their game by Year 11 and 12...
Year 11 and 12 definitely sorts people out. year 11, some still bludge, but those who are serious start to knuckle down and then by year 12, its the most serious and competitive you've ever seen people. quite intense.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Dont know enough to say really, TBH this years year 12 grade and the grade before us were pretty terrible but we still managed to stay top 5.

The only indication though would be the Accelerants for Economics (the only subject we accelerate). When people in my grade did accelerate eco there were 2 classes. Out of the 40 or so that did it 35+ of them got Band 6s. They also took out 19 of the top 20 rankings for Economics in our school that year the only person who was in the top 20 who wasnt accelerated was the guy who came first (and ended up topping the state)

However this year for Economics, the Accelerants let down the whole cohort, only like 5 of them were in the top 20. Usually we rely on them to pull our marks up because they should be acing the HSC. 2 years ago the person ranked 10th got an internal mark of 95, however this year the person ranked 10th got an internal mark of 92. So judging by those who did accelerated economics it would be fair to say their grade isnt as strong as ours but then again you cant really judge a whole cohort on just 1 subject in which only about 40 of them were doing the subject.
AHA righto, yea although there seems to be a pretty drastic drop in the accelerants' results from 2010 ------> 2011. Do you know how the 2013 cohort is, similar to 2012, 2011 or 2010? HAHA, just to check out what sort of competition I have.. (although you probs don't know at all LOL) but there are TWO classes for the 2012 HSC accelerants (Baulko 2013) so they must be better???.. haha

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I thought up for some reasons why selective school with equal entry scores have drastically different HSC rankings:
- Selective Test requires different skills when compared with the HSC exams
- Quality of teachers, resources and facilities
- Quality of external support such as tutoring
- The HSC is based on dedication and hard work ---> results of the HSC are determined over time (HSC Assessments) ---> Test was on a single day
- The HSC will test what people are generally good at since student chose their subjects ---> Selective Test is set on three subjects --->GA, English and Maths
- Effect of the top student can alter the whole cohort due to the way HSC operates ---> DA can drastically change if the top student is say, top of the state which often occurs in selective schools ---> similar effect caused by a lower low-end
- Accelerating of students (often at selective schools) allowed time causing an improvement in other subjects across the board
- Different cohort size creates a larger range effectively pulling the grade up at different magnitudes
- Removal from course ---> kicking the lower end of people from courses creates a higher DA % for each course effectively making the school appear better

Last edited:

sweetkiki

Unconscious Member
HSC
N/A
So angry. they're just starting to accelerate 2U maths and religion at my old school. I missed out :(

HSC
Uni Grad
I know that the BWB class of 2012 is a much much better cohort than the class of 2011. I predict around 5 state ranks, at least 3 99+ and more than 20 ppl getting 95 ATAR.

If SpiralFlex is reading this thread, he should tell me more about the cohort through here :p

eat_well

HSC
I know that my year has been the strongest year for my school in the past 50 years. It showed up in the results for school cert which sucks :(. The best I can really hope for is that my cohort can scale me up.
My cohort isn't the only one that is strong..I've heard rumors that all the year 12s this year in NSW is the strongest in 50 years. I'm so damn scared!! I wish I was born a year later or something!!!

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I know that my year has been the strongest year for my school in the past 50 years. It showed up in the results for school cert which sucks :(. The best I can really hope for is that my cohort can scale me up.
My cohort isn't the only one that is strong..I've heard rumors that all the year 12s this year in NSW is the strongest in 50 years. I'm so damn scared!! I wish I was born a year later or something!!!
Instead of relying on everybody else to scale you up, perhaps you can study harder and hence contribute to said scaling.

eat_well

HSC
Instead of relying on everybody else to scale you up, perhaps you can study harder and hence contribute to said scaling.
Well yes I will be doing that..I do really hope that I am one of those people that scale my cohort up except my grade is insanely competitive. Hopefully I'll do well :/.

oisac

HSC
So which 2012 cohorts are stronger/weaker than their 2011 counterparts? I heard Ruse's 2012 cohort is one of the strongest in years, are there any other schools like that? Also which ones are weaker?
does it really matter? DOES IT!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Wow it sounds like on the whole the NSW cohort for 2012 sounds beast.

I can say for a fact the 2013 cohort for my school is very ....

So the options: Wait for 2013, move to another state (*cough* Victoria with straightforward English) or attempt to power up to battle with all these crazy smart people.

michaeljennings

HSC
AHA righto, yea although there seems to be a pretty drastic drop in the accelerants' results from 2010 ------> 2011. Do you know how the 2013 cohort is, similar to 2012, 2011 or 2010? HAHA, just to check out what sort of competition I have.. (although you probs don't know at all LOL) but there are TWO classes for the 2012 HSC accelerants (Baulko 2013) so they must be better???.. haha
no idea sorry, but the two classes doesnt mean they are better because we accelerate two classes every year im pretty sure

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I was told HAHS has a ridiculous amount of very heated competition going on for 2013 HSC, not sure about 2012 though
Yep, the class of 2013 for HAHS is very competitive! But, I'm sure that you will come out on top! Show them selective Hurlstone kids what you're made of!

hayabusaboston

HSC
Yep, the class of 2013 for HAHS is very competitive! But, I'm sure that you will come out on top! Show them selective Hurlstone kids what you're made of!
So are they a lot more competitive than any other year before them? That probably means a lot smarter too. Maybe we\ll get into the top 10 schools in 2013 in that case? Why, thank you for the compliment :)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
So are they a lot more competitive than any other year before them? That probably means a lot smarter too. Maybe we\ll get into the top 10 schools in 2013 in that case? Why, thank you for the compliment :)
Very Competitive =/= Cohort smashing HSC
If a cohort is too competitive, no-one is gonna lend/share notes around so in the end, the cohort as a team won't reach their maximum potential. But, I guess a cohort won't be that stingy to such an extent... The school has quite a few geniuses and a majority go tutoring as it seems so the cohort should be very strong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)