Strength of 2012 cohorts (1 Viewer)

michaeljennings

HSC
Baulko only accelerates economics (right?) which is a pretty hard subject compared to those that Ruse and others etc. do so they probs don't get "EASY" band 6's through accelerants and propel themselves up the league tables..
This is true. If we accelerated Business Studies or PDHPE we would get a lot more band 6's in these subjects

sweetkiki

Unconscious Member
HSC
N/A
Accelerating gives students a clear [and unfair] advantage

come on
how is it not shifty

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Ruse does shifty shit to maximise band 6's like accel-ing Agriculture, SDD/IPT
Sydney Boys accels. 2u maths to maximies Band 6's but forces those accelerants do 4u anyway.. WTF
NSB and NSG accels. IPT

Baulko only accelerates economics (right?) which is a pretty hard subject compared to those that Ruse and others etc. do so they probs don't get "EASY" band 6's through accelerants and propel themselves up the league tables..
I heard Fort Street had Eco accelerants?
I guess quite a few of the schools in the top 10 are shifty but there's nothing as crazy as Malek Fahd.
The only school that has a possibility of beating Ruse is Malek Fahd to be honest. Malek Fahd could easily keep reducing their cohort size and eventually beat Ruse with a higher DA % due to selection of the strongest students and a tiny cohort.

@theind1996
It's so saddening that Business Studies aligns and scales so poorly D:
To be honest, it needs to scale and align better, considering how much content is involved in the subject. Should scale and align as well as Geography or Legal Studies in my opinion.
Sadly, the quality of the majority of the candidature that does it are the lower-end students.

Another random question: Also, is it possible that a subject aligns really well but scales really bad OR vice versa? Or is it very similar like bad scaling = bad aligning and good scaling = good aligning?

theind1996

HSC
N/A
How is accelerating people shifty :S
LOL probs a bad word to use in that situation but what I meant was that they should accelerate "harder" 2u subjects like Chemistry, Economics or even Maths 3u and above. The staff at Ruse probably realise that if they didn't accelerate Agriculture and offered it in the same year as Phys, Chem, Eco etc. not many people would choose it and there would be less band 6's overall..

Examine

same
HSC
Dr Intaj Ali (principal)'s Scheme:
- Take in the best Year 10 students to advance into Year 11 based on Year 10 performance, make the others repeat (these kids will end up changing schools)
- Choose subjects for these accepted people (the school chooses it for them) (if you're shit at maths, mate you're doing General)
- Have a smaller cohort
- Kick out newbs
- Make students do subjects according to their strengths only (if you're good at Bio but shit at Chem but wanted to do Chem rather than Bio, MATE you're still doing Bio)

Malek Fahd with 70ish students - Rank 15
Malek Fahd with 100+ students - Ranked in the 30s
Next Year - Malek Fahd with 10 students - Rank - Top 10 :)

On a random note: Does Business Studies align very bad, decent or quite good?
ohfuckingdanggg.

deswa1

HSC
Another random question: Also, is it possible that a subject aligns really well but scales really bad OR vice versa? Or is it very similar like bad scaling = bad aligning and good scaling = good aligning?
Possibly as aligning refers to changing marks based on predetermined standards (e.g. it is possible for everyone to get 90 as a HSC mark in 2U maths) but scaling changes marks based on the relative strength of the cohort doing that subject (to determine a rank for everyone). Having said that, there is a correlation between the two but counterexamples exist (Standard english aligns horribly but scales exactly the same as advanced english).

Examine

same
HSC
Business Studies doesn't align well - for humanities, aligning wise :

Society and Culture < Business Studies < Ancient History < Geography < Legal Studies < Studies of Religion 1 < Modern History < Economics

and BTW, top 5 aligning 2u subjects:

Modern History < Biology < Physics < Chemistry < Economics
Thought legal was lower than business

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
ohfuckingdanggg.
I exaggerated quite a fair bit there but expect Malek Fahd to go back up in Rankings next year!
I'd say Malek Fahd will be top 20 in 2012.
If Malek Fahd was ranked 15th with 70ish students, they'd be in the top 10 with 40ish students and top 5 if they had like 10 students.......
But, yes, Malek Fahd does the shiftiest schemes as compared to any other schools out there...

EDIT: Only reason why they dropped quite a few rankings this year was because the cohort size was like 100+ students I think...

Examine

same
HSC
+1, this is why my school doesnt come 2nd anymore because our cohort is relatively larger than the other schools in the top 5
I love the people at your school. Basically the people I talk to in Swimming Carnival and Cross Country, and they remember me even if I don't remember them. :L

theind1996

HSC
N/A
I heard Fort Street had Eco accelerants?
I guess quite a few of the schools in the top 10 are shifty but there's nothing as crazy as Malek Fahd.
The only school that has a possibility of beating Ruse is Malek Fahd to be honest. Malek Fahd could easily keep reducing their cohort size and eventually beat Ruse with a higher DA % due to selection of the strongest students and a tiny cohort.

@theind1996
It's so saddening that Business Studies aligns and scales so poorly D:
To be honest, it needs to scale and align better, considering how much content is involved in the subject. Should scale and align as well as Geography or Legal Studies in my opinion.
Sadly, the quality of the majority of the candidature that does it are the lower-end students.

Probably should scale better, but have you seen the size of the state candidature for business (like 15,000 +) - many people seem to choose business ONLY coz it's similar to economics but it seems to them as if business is easier to them than economics (as it is LOL).

so therefore, imo more dropkicks choose business because:
- sciences are too hard and economics is too hard
- computing is too nerdy
- year 9/10 geography and history gave them a bad experience thus disinclining them to choose those
- legal is a bit too bland? like seems a bit boring to them through the portrayal of lawyers as boring c**ts
- leaving business as the only "good" humanities option? dunno that's just my theory..

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
+1, this is why my school doesnt come 2nd anymore because our cohort is relatively larger than the other schools in the top 5
Yeah, and that's why religious and private schools are quite dominant in the top 50 schools....

Examine

same
HSC
Probably should scale better, but have you seen the size of the state candidature for business (like 15,000 +) - many people seem to choose business ONLY coz it's similar to economics but it seems to them as if business is easier to them than economics (as it is LOL).

- computing is too nerdy
- year 9/10 geography and history gave them a bad experience thus disinclining them to choose those
- legal is a bit too bland? like seems a bit boring to them through the portrayal of lawyers as boring c**ts
- leaving business as the only "good" humanities option? dunno that's just my theory..
My school performs most of its Band 6's through Business Studies and it is one of our best performing subjects. waddup.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

- computing is too nerdy
Yeah, everything you said is true to an extent.
Business Studies just really needs a better quality candidature and it's scaling would be at least above average or even average.
I've been really tossing up between Business Studies and Chemistry lately and not too sure if I should change it or keep it.

Examine

same
HSC
Business Studies just really needs a better quality candidature and it's scaling would be at least above average or even average.
I've been really tossing up between Business Studies and Chemistry lately and not too sure if I should change it or keep it.
Keep it. It's my favourite subject. I look forward to a day I do Business Studies. You just need to grasp it first then you'll be fine.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
yeaa was heaps good a couple of years ago, this year it was pretty good too. Not sure how theyll go next year. Theres one guy in yr 11 who plays state but other than that I think everyone is fairly average
Wasn't the outgoing year 12 (your grade) Baulko touch team like Syd. West champions 2 yrs back?

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Dude, you're going to be at Syd Tech. = good school + you like business + you already have physics and eco which are good scaling = Moey dw about scaling

Shame you can't do 13 units or you could have done 3u maths, 2u english, phys, chem, eco, business

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)