Strength of 2012 cohorts (1 Viewer)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Can you suggest why?
The only three main reasons that determine why rankings would drop or increase are:
- Quality of Intake/Cohort
AND
- Cohort Size
AND
- The subjects that the students take [the chances of getting a band 6 in that sub] (are they taking the easy Band 6 subjects or the harder Band 6 subjects)

Dude, you're going to be at Syd Tech. = good school + you like business + you already have physics and eco which are good scaling = Moey dw about scaling
Shame you can't do 13 units or you could have done 3u maths, 2u english, phys, chem, eco, business
Yeah, I wished that I could of have done 13 units for prelim then decide by the end of Year 11 what to drop.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Business Studies doesn't align well - for humanities, aligning wise :

Society and Culture < Business Studies < Ancient History < Geography < Legal Studies < Studies of Religion 1 < Modern History < Economics

and BTW, top 5 aligning 2u subjects:

Modern History < Biology < Physics < Chemistry < Economics
wow..i dont feel so bad about doing SOR1 now.
but where does maths factor into this?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
wow..i dont feel so bad about doing SOR1 now.
but where does maths factor into this?
Yeah, SOR1 actually scales and aligns quite well...
Yeah, I thought Advanced Mathematics and Advanced English should be in the top 5 aligning subjects?

theind1996

HSC
N/A
1. But the quality of intake shouldn't have dropped seeing that every curry/asian family in Western Sydney wants their kid to go to Girra inafter they realise that their kid is too dumb to get into Baulko. As well as that, Girra's Year 7 selective entry score is ~ equal to Normanhurst and Fort Street (WTF rank 8'th?!)
2. Girra year 12 cohorts aren't that big - ~140 students
3. The only subject they don't offer is general maths (well they do, but no-one picks it)

Suggests that the students are losing (?) their level of work-ethic and are slacking off (WTF it's a selective) OR the teachers are shit..

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
1. But the quality of intake shouldn't have dropped seeing that every curry/asian family in Western Sydney wants their kid to go to Girra inafter they realise that their kid is too dumb to get into Baulko. As well as that, Girra's Year 7 selective entry score is ~ equal to Normanhurst and Fort Street (WTF rank 8'th?!)
2. Girra year 12 cohorts aren't that big - ~140 students
3. The only subject they don't offer is general maths (well they do, but no-one picks it)

Suggests that the students are losing (?) their level of work-ethic and are slacking off (WTF it's a selective) OR the teachers are shit..
My Theory:
Hurlstone is stealing all the good students while Girra is taking the decent students xD

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Yeah, SOR1 actually scales and aligns quite well...
Yeah, I thought Advanced Mathematics and Advanced English should be in the top 5 aligning subjects?
soz i didn't count MATHS AND ENGLISH or it would look like:

Modern History < Biology < Advanced Maths = Advanced English < Physics < Chemistry < Economics < History Extension < English Extension 1 < English Extension 2 < Maths Extension 1 < Maths Extension 2 (NOT COUNTING ANY LANGUAGE COURSES OR PHILOSOPHY)

theind1996

HSC
N/A

michaeljennings

HSC
Wasn't the outgoing year 12 (your grade) Baulko touch team like Syd. West champions 2 yrs back?
Yeah lol how did you know this? I played for that team. We came 9th in the State in Year 8. In Year 11 we won Syd West but lost the Top 10 State Qualifier to some school in Tamworth called Farrer or something. In Year 12 we unfortunately had Hills Sports on the same side of the draw as us and we had to play them in the semi finals for Syd West and lost 2-1. And then Hills Sports ended up coming 1st in the State

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, but Hurlstone is in SOUTH-WESTERN SYDNEY. Glenfield and Blacktown region aren't exactly "close". and look at this:
http://bettereducation.com.au/Resources/NSWSelectHSEntryScores.aspx

Girra entrance score > Hurlstone > Penrith (46th WTF?!) > Sydney Tech (23rd WTF?!)
You do realise that entrance scores change every year?
I remember that there was a year or two where Tech had a higher entrance score than Hurlstone.
You need to find the 2005 entrance scores for the class of 2011.
2006 entrance scores for the class of 2012.
2007 entrance scores for the class of 2013 and so on.
Yeah, I bet alot of people were shocked that Tech was 23rd this year... Shows how Tech is going back up in rankings!

deswa1

HSC
You do realise that entrance scores change every year?
I remember that there was a year or two where Tech had a higher entrance score than Hurlstone.
You need to find the 2005 entrance scores for the class of 2011.
2006 entrance scores for the class of 2012.
2007 entrance scores for the class of 2013 and so on.
Yeah, I bet alot of people were shocked that Tech was 23rd this year... Shows how Tech is going back up in rankings!
Tech this year had a pretty good year. I think our year though (2012) is probably even better (at the top anyway). Our maths cohort is pretty crazy...

Gigacube

HSC
The 2012 cohort at my school is a lot stronger than the 2011 cohort although it won't match the 2010 one for sure. My school has a ranking which is below 300 so it's quite a worry. Science and maths are not as good this year but HSIE & English are very strong.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Tech this year had a pretty good year. I think our year though (2012) is probably even better (at the top anyway). Our maths cohort is pretty crazy...
Nice, that sounds good! What do you think about the 2013 cohort in comparison to your 2012 cohort?

@theind1996:
Also, tuition centres could also be another reason, alot of Hurlstonians go to Ngo & Sons and PEAK for their mathematics, english, chem and physics tutoring while Tech people could go to Hurstville tutors such as Dr. Du, Harry's Education, The Brain, etc. so yeah.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
sweet haha. I remember Baulko beat Girraween 12-0 in like a 20 minute game this year for that Trisports Comp hahah I scored 4 =)
Haha yea I've seen the "event" for the tri-schools thingo on FB and the amount of trolling by Baulko and self-aggrandising and boasting comments by Girra was bloody unbelievable. especially that Ramanathan Jeganathan XI... OMG so much fuckery while Ruse was probs too busy studying xD...

anyways, this thread is getting off-topic...

michaeljennings

HSC
Haha yea I've seen the "event" for the tri-schools thingo on FB and the amount of trolling by Baulko and self-aggrandising and boasting comments by Girra was bloody unbelievable. especially that Ramanathan Jeganathan XI... OMG so much fuckery while Ruse was probs too busy studying xD...

anyways, this thread is getting off-topic...
HAHAH that FB page was pure gold. Baulko vs Girra whilst Ruse were busy studying

deswa1

HSC
I don't know that much about the strength of the '13 cohort. There are a few beasts at the top but I reckon our year is better than theirs...

deswa1

HSC
Who knows, maybe you can revolutionise your grade and get them to pick their game up...

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Who knows, maybe you can revolutionise your grade and get them to pick their game up...
I'm nowhere near that level, I just hope I can cope with the competition since I'm joining as a new student next year xD
I guess everyone picks up their game by Year 11 and 12...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)