Steve Irwin dead (1 Viewer)

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html
THE Crocodile Man, Steve Irwin, is dead.

He was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said. It is understood he was killed by a sting-ray barb that went through his chest.

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary and that's when it occured.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality this morning at Batt Reef off Port Douglas.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was bound to happen.

---

Edit (Generator): Death of the Crocodile Hunter

Last edited by a moderator:

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
really?

that's so sad ... it really is. i guess it's one of those times you can say 'at least it was doing something he loved' .

i admired him for doing what he loved and being so genuine and helping the environment and animals etc. i know some ppl didn't like him but at least he was himself.

Last edited:

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
He lived life on the edge and died as a result.. All I can say is that he would have much rather died doing what he loved than by any other means...

Optophobia

HSC
holy shit, i thought this thread was a sad joke or something. It just seems so unreal.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
every news site is taking years to load, this is going to be crazy.

i cannot believe he's dead, the crocodile hunter can't die! i didn't like him very much but this has got me very distraught.

D

Diseased Poon

Really, the only sad thing is the family he left behind.

He died doing what he loved, and there's an expectation that if you put yourself so recklessly in harms way, like he did throughout his life, you have a high probability of eventually meeting a gruesome end.

Optophobia

HSC
The news sites are so laggy. I assumed it was a case of murphies law, something going wrong, not particularly because lots of people were visiting, but just because my computer decided to stuff up when i wanted to access a news site, as it usually happens.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
i just did a senior first aid course last wed and thurs and we were learning about poisinous bites and stings. since then my neighbour got bitten by a white tailed spider, my brother o/s was hospitalised with a snake bite and now THIS.

FUCK! a little knowledge really IS a dangerous thing.

ps: poor steve. those photos of him holding the baby whilst feeding the crocs will haunt that kid forever now.

Riewe

HSC
This news did come as a shock to me, because even though he does put himself out there, and he's probably come close several times, you just don't expect it to happen.

But at least he was doing something he loved, and he will always be remembered.

NubianPrincess

HSC
Optophobia said:
The news sites are so laggy. I assumed it was a case of murphies law, something going wrong, not particularly because lots of people were visiting, but just because my computer decided to stuff up when i wanted to access a news site, as it usually happens.
Steve Irwin killed by stingray

September 4, 2006 - 3:14PM

Television personality and environmentalist Steve Irwin has died after being stung by a stingray while filming off north Queensland.

Known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter, the 44-year-old was famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!''.

The Queensland Police Service issued a statement saying Mr Irwin collapsed after being stung at Batt Reef, Low Isles off Port Douglas about 11am. He had been filming a documentary.

After being stung by the sting-ray, his crew called for medical treatment and the Queensland Rescue Helicopter responded.

Police said Mr Irwin's family has been advised.

The Queensland Ambulance Service said a call was received about 11am (AEST) today and an emergency services helicopter was flown to Mr Irwin's boat with a doctor and paramedic on board.

Mr Irwin had a puncture wound to the left side of his chest and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Queensland government sources had earlier said a stingray barb had punctured Irwin's chest.

Mr Irwin's body was being flown to Cairns by helicopter.

It is believed his American-born wife Terri is trekking on Cradle Mountain in Tasmania.

The Irwins have two children, an eight-year-old a daughter, Bindi Sue, and a three-year-old son, Robert Clarence, usually known as Bob.

Irwin won a global following for his daredevil antics but also triggered outrage in 2004 by holding his then one-month-old baby while feeding a snapping crocodile at his Australian zoo.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, who used a photograph of his family at Australia Zoo for his official Christmas card last year, hailed Mr Irwin for his work in promoting Australia.

Mr Irwin was heavily involved in last year's "G'Day LA'' campaign.

"The minister knew him, was fond of him and was very, very appreciative of all the work he'd done to promote Australia overseas,'' a spokesman said.

The Crocodile Hunter program was first broadcast in 1992 and has been shown around the world on cable network Discovery.

Irwin came 20th last year in BRW magazine's top 50 entertainers.

The magazine said the hugely popular Crocodile Hunter spent most of 2005 filming and launching his new television series, New Breed Vets, to appear on the pay-TV channel Animal Planet.

In February, Irwin received an award for his contribution to tourism from Tourism Australia.

Over the last 12 months, he has also expanded his Australia Zoo wildlife park on the Sunshine Coast.

smh.com.au and AAP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)