Stay at local, partially selective school or apply for better fully selective school? (1 Viewer)

Jehuty

HSC
I go to Ryde Secondary College at the moment and live around the area (West Ryde). Is it worth the extra time spend traveling to a school located in the city? Or should I just stay where I am? Are there any alternative schools (I know Normo would just add an extra 5mins to my travel time but is it any good or woth the effort of transferring)?

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
Re: Stay at local, partially selective school or apply for better fully selective sch

come to baulko, i'm sick of girra people coming in

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: Stay at local, partially selective school or apply for better fully selective sch

Which school located in the city?

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad

hey!! thats not very nice haha

OP: What matters to you most? If its studies than go normo. Ranked 34 is much safer than say ranked 166 in ryde sec (probably your selective students are much better than they appear). Also, in your HSC year if you're doing after school and before school subjects, you will really start to see the benefits of going to a school close to home. What matters though is how long it takes you to get to say normo and then the schools in the city?

Jehuty

HSC

hey!! thats not very nice haha

OP: What matters to you most? If its studies than go normo. Ranked 34 is much safer than say ranked 166 in ryde sec (probably your selective students are much better than they appear). Also, in your HSC year if you're doing after school and before school subjects, you will really start to see the benefits of going to a school close to home. What matters though is how long it takes you to get to say normo and then the schools in the city?
I'd estimate that:
RSC - 15min
Normo - 20min
City school (SB/NSB) - 30min (to get to appropriate train station) + ? min (not sure if I'll have to walk from the station, or if the school provides buses from the station, or if there are any public buses that will take me near the school)

Although, chances of getting into a city school seem bleak (and so does getting into Normo I guess), my report is nothing spectacular (3 A grades, 5 B grades) and I do nothing outside of school.

Jehuty

HSC

I wouldn't be able to go to either of those schools, they are much too far. I'm gonna have to catch multiple buses/trains, and it will probably take over an hour to get to/back from school.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

You should definitely consider going to Sydney Boys. ;)

Sydney Boys provides buses from Central to school. 5 minute bus ride from Central. NSB doesn't - but it's close ish.

But yeah, as you might've noticed - my personal opinion is like....biased. :p NSB is a great school as well, so, I would recommend you apply for either Sydney Boys or NSB. :)

Uncle

Banned
HSC

go to your local school.
that way any mishaps in our unreliable public transport system wont affect you.
during my hsc period i kept laughing at those who were affected.
a local school just means a walk home and lots of time to study and play!

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC

Just apply, even if you get in, it doesn't mean you have to go.

eriito

Elite Member
HSC

You should change schools because Ryde is a hole.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

You should change schools because Ryde is a hole.
Everyone says that about their own school though. People at my school say it's a hole. People at Ruse say Ruse is a hole. :p

eriito

Elite Member
HSC

DUX of RSC 2009

eriito

Elite Member
HSC

It is inevitable.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Gotta love modesty.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC

go to your local school.
that way any mishaps in our unreliable public transport system wont affect you.
during my hsc period i kept laughing at those who were affected.
a local school just means a walk home and lots of time to study and play!
lol my friend went on the wrong train and ended up in bankstown instead of fairfield. SOO FUNNY.

kr73114

HSC

Can someone please help me?
I got accepted into Ryde Secondary College and St Marys Senior. I know Ryde is a partial selective school but I looked on the school rankings and St Marys is way above Ryde.
Isn't the point of selective schools is because they are ranked higher for higher ATAR marks?
Which school shoud I go to?

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC

St Mary's Senior

riya03

HSC

I'm sure that St.Mary's haven't posted the results yet. So how do you know that you've been accepted? :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)