Starting your first UMAT practice! :( (1 Viewer)

ishfish

Lord of the Fries
HSC
Hi Guys,

Ive started doing UMAT practice. However I havent gotten far, because Im finding that S1 questions are so effing crazy and S3 too! S2 is heaps great but freaking other sections are so challenging. Can you guys share with me how long it takes to finally get a grip on UMAT s1/s3. And if you did do the umat, please share your experience and what worked and didnt work for you! Thanks a ton =)

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
well i only did like 2 papers but they way I "practiced" before I did the real thing was for the 1st paper; just focus on doing the questions and making sure I was getting them right and then on the 2nd paper picking up speed in the questions

gl :D

bangladesh

HSC
I tutor S1 and S3 after nearly getting 100%ile in both those sections. Inbox me if interested.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
I tutor S1 and S3 after nearly getting 100%ile in both those sections. Inbox me if interested.
OP keep in mind that just because someone got close to 100%ile; does not mean that they can tutor.

but good luck amir

emilios

HSC
Don't be overwhelmed. S1 is definitely hard but everyone finds it hard (or at the very least, the hardest of the three sections). Section 3 can be easily improved through practice and you develop a knack for S2 questions (it mostly comes down to choosing between two options).

All the best in your efforts. Stay consistent and be introspective about the whole thing.

bangladesh

HSC
OP keep in mind that just because someone got close to 100%ile; does not mean that they can tutor.

but good luck amir
lel, been tutoring chem/maths for nearly a year now and my students are all top10 within their schools (Mostly selective schools). So yea, it doesn't guarantee that i can teach, but my past experience shows you that I can.

TranceStep

HSC
Hey mate, id highly recommend working through the three acer practice tests, analysing where you go wrong, etc. They provide worked solutions for Practice test 1 and 3. IMO, #3 is pretty close to UMAT level difficulty. I sat UMAT twice now, last year i got 38th and was demoralized af, but this year did significantly better with a percentily of 95. The way i improved was not wasting money on prep courses but rather practicing through acer tests as well as Bmat ( the test they use for med in UK, they provide answers and previous years tests). Also pick up your reading speed and you can deffs get the hang of S3 by doing problems repeatedly.

Fade1233

HSC
N/A
Don't be overwhelmed. S1 is definitely hard but everyone finds it hard (or at the very least, the hardest of the three sections). Section 3 can be easily improved through practice and you develop a knack for S2 questions (it mostly comes down to choosing between two options).

All the best in your efforts. Stay consistent and be introspective about the whole thing.
Not really. Section one was probably easier for me. I find section 2 difficult.

photastic

HSC
Section 2 is the easiest because it's "understanding people." You have to be isolated or anti-social to fail this.

bangladesh

HSC
Section 2 is the easiest because it's "understanding people." You have to be isolated or anti-social to fail this.
lol, i guarantee you I am x150 more social than half the applicants who got higher than me in section 2. It's not about your social life at all. A lot of people find it difficult (including me) because you simply cannot improve on it (or you only improve a little)

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Holy shiyat

Has nobody realised that OP is in year 7?

I think that's a little too early to begin UMAT preparation, but if Medicine is your passion then nobody is holding you back :D

Fade1233

HSC
N/A
Holy shiyat

Has nobody realised that OP is in year 7?

I think that's a little too early to begin UMAT preparation, but if Medicine is your passion then nobody is holding you back :D
Not a birth certificate. Its an editable HSC year tab.

emilios

HSC
If OP is truly in year 7 then listen to this piece of advice:

do NOT start studying for UMAT. instead, focus on have really rich life experiences. get involved in extra-curricular activities, volunteer, read A LOT and have lots of fun! believe me, this will do much more for your UMAT than poring over prep courses. please listen to this advice!

Fade1233

HSC
N/A
If OP is truly in year 7 then listen to this piece of advice:

do NOT start studying for UMAT. instead, focus on have really rich life experiences. get involved in extra-curricular activities, volunteer, read A LOT and have lots of fun! believe me, this will do much more for your UMAT than poring over prep courses. please listen to this advice!
Really? If only I had the brains and knew about this in year 7, then i would have started.

ishfish

Lord of the Fries
HSC
guys Im not in year 7!! Im in year 10, soz I didnt change it :) Thanks for the help

zozoraneem

HSC
Wow! That's a big improvement
So did u work on Ur own or u got a tutor and how did u approach questions
And any books or resources that u specifically recommend?

Thanks

I started practising a month ago and all my parts are below 50 percent
Don't have a clue how to improve

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Wow! That's a big improvement
So did u work on Ur own or u got a tutor and how did u approach questions
And any books or resources that u specifically recommend?

Thanks

I started practising a month ago and all my parts are below 50 percent
Don't have a clue how to improve
just practice harder and figure out why you got questions wrong.

NotCricket

HSC
Apparently the only people who get 100% in the UMAT are sociopaths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)