Speed reading for law (1 Viewer)

rx34

HSC
Hi, do you guys think speed-reading is necessary for law reading? I read like a bloody turtle. I understand in first year, we have 20-40pgs per lesson to read. I read a Foundations of Law book and each page took me 5 mins.

I'm so freaking slow! Do you think it's worth learning speed-reading techniques or taking up courses? What is your average speed? Thanks :)

robocat

HSC
yeah just learn to skim... the best way u can get good at that is reading a lot...

i.e. newspapers, novels etc.

also google some techniques.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
You will gain speed as you get used to it. Even the fastest readers will read slower at the begining as it can seem very difficult to understand. You'll understand it quicker and read faster as you go a long in your degree. You will also learn how to judge what is essential to read and what you can just skim/skip.

twistedtigers

HSC
N/A
I agree with Melsc. I find that at the start of a unit, I find the reading slow until I get a real feel for what the unit is about. A couple of weeks in, you'll find you've worked out what to skip as useless and which pieces are gems. Just give yourself a few weeks.

But, if you don't like lots of reading anyway, you might be in for a long year

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
Oh and don't worry about the courses, you'll learn, besides you need to take it in. Speed is not the aim
melsc,
what should i do in the 30 or so days i have left before starting law?

any particular preparation i should be doing?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I would just relax, make sure you have got your routine sorted (work, timetable etc) and if in the weeks before uni starts they have put your unit outlines up you can get your reading done for the first week so you are a bit ahead.

Just make sure you are rested and you have sorted out all admin stuff - buying textbooks, ordering parking sticker etc

rx34

HSC
Hey guys, thank you very much for responding. Just another question, when you are doing your readings before the class, when reading it for the first time do you make notes? Or do you make notes after the class?

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
I generally don't take notes the first time I read something since it can sometimes be difficult to separate what's vital from what can be discarded, especially if it is a complex case. I usually read, note up what strikes me as important on the paper itself, then go back and synthesise my class notes with what I pick up from skimming the reading again.

eschew

HSC
N/A
As a foreigner as myself i think the first thing is to read as much as you can, then you'll conclude the skill by yourself. moreover, grammar is also very important. Like me i only got reading 7 in my ielts at the first time, however i got 8.5 the second time after i reviewed my grammar text book.
it doesn't mean i meet the requirement of law study reading , just some experience to accelerate my reading, anyway hope this helps :pirate:

Last edited:

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
melsc,
what should i do in the 30 or so days i have left before starting law?

any particular preparation i should be doing?
Give up your Christianity.

It's frankly embarrassing to hold such ridiculous beliefs when your expected to have, at the bare minimum, enough critical thinking skills to be beginning law.

This may be harsh, but it is in your benefit to enter law school with little presuppositions, particularly metaphysical ones. Whenever a moral debate arises, "the bible says so" won't hold up against the rigorous thinking of your peers. Rational scrutiny and skepticism are a must.

Last edited:

rx34

HSC
Give up your Christianity.

It's frankly embarrassing to hold such ridiculous beliefs when your expected to have, at the bare minimum, enough critical thinking skills to be beginning law.

This may be harsh, but it is in your benefit to enter law school with little presuppositions, particularly metaphysical ones. Whenever a moral debate arises, "the bible says so" won't hold up against the rigorous thinking of your peers. Rational scrutiny and skepticism are a must.
Hmmm, I don't think any logical person would argue in the Foundations of Law class by saying 'because the bible says so'. I'm Christian myself and I never use God as a basis for argument with friends. Religion is too subjective and I usually don't tell people my religion openly because I don't wished to be stereotyped. However, I do get annoyed when some of my xxxxxx friends put off other religions so blatantly without giving it a chance or telling me how disgusting :apig: is when it's my favorite meat.

But thanks for the tips! I'm excited to start uni and work for a HD in foundations :)

S

Slide

LOL foundations. bla bla general knowledge bla bla federalism bla bla court hierachy bla bla arbitrary legal concepts like terra nullius.

anyone who's done legal studies will know all this already.

Easiest HD i ever got.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)