Special Provisions (1 Viewer)

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
i think handwriting is the most bullshit excuse for special provisions. i can't hold my pencil properly, i get cramps about five minutes in to the exam, my handwriting is almost a scribble (when trying to write fast because my normal writing is tiny and extremely neat and i'm an extremely slow writer), but man up and deal with it.

i agree though, if someone at james ruse actually has a proper problem, sure.
I'm a very slow writer, and I suffer from hand cramps worse than most people. Handwriting difficulties are not 'excuses'. I physically can't write as much as some people without having extra time to do it, which puts me at a disadvantage. And yes, I have a report from a registered occupational therapist which provides hard numbers to back that up.

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
i think handwriting is the most bullshit excuse for special provisions. i can't hold my pencil properly, i get cramps about five minutes in to the exam, my handwriting is almost a scribble (when trying to write fast because my normal writing is tiny and extremely neat and i'm an extremely slow writer), but man up and deal with it.

i agree though, if someone at james ruse actually has a proper problem, sure.
So true.

People write at different speeds. It should be your responsibility to improve. Hand cramps is so stupid. You've been writing for 13 years, surely your hand is used to that degree of tension.

O and ajdlinux, although it may be true in your case. Getting a report from a "registered occupational therapist" does not mean the person really has problems. He/she only knows as much as you tell them.

One other thing. How on Earth can you tell if you suffer from cramps more than other people? You don't feel their pain lmaoo, so how can you compare?

Adjilinux, judging from your persistence, you probably do have a legitimate reason. In that case this isn't directed at you. Just making a generalisation for the fakies here. :haha:

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
So true.

People write at different speeds. It should be your responsibility to improve. Hand cramps is so stupid. You've been writing for 13 years, surely your hand is used to that degree of tension.
I don't think any special provisions student disagrees with the fact that you have to put up with a normal level of hand pain, but not everyone is in fact capable of improving their writing speeds. For me, it would take professional therapy which isn't an option due to the costs involved - a private OT's initial consultation fee alone is over $400 up here.

O and ajdlinux, although it may be true in your case. Getting a report from a "registered occupational therapist" does not mean the person really has problems. He/she only knows as much as you tell them.
Whilst it may be true that some people can fake it to a trained OT, I'm sure experienced therapists know how to observe and analyse behaviour while they're being tested. Remember these tests are conducted at the OT's clinic, right in front of them, combined with psychometric tests.

The Board also requires that they be combined with actual assessment task samples, done without special provisions, and a second essay written specifically for the application. If they notice a big discrepancy between the two, they'll question it. Admittedly special ed teachers will often suggest that you find your worst half-yearly exams, where you write less for reasons other than necessary handwriting, but it does make it more difficult to fake unless you're willing to jeopardise your assessment marks by doing badly in a school exam just so you can get these provisions.

One other thing. How on Earth can you tell if you suffer from cramps more than other people? You don't feel their pain lmaoo, so how can you compare?
You can always ask them how they feel, as well as look up the stats on it.

Adjilinux, judging from your persistence, you probably do have a legitimate reason. In that case this isn't directed at you. Just making a generalisation for the fakies here. :haha:
LOL, my persistence is more due to me being bored and not wanting to study Physics :p

pman

Banned
HSC
OK, so I have them, due to lowered attention span due to slower brain development as a result of ADHD. basically My brain is developed as that of a15 yr old even though i'm 18 so i can't really stay focused for threee hours...makes it alot quicker to get more writing booklets though

kaytt

HSC
yeah Hermand the same supervisor comes everytime, she's a sweetheart.

yz125

HSC
There is a girl at my school who gets special provisions because she gets 'severe headaches' when she looks at white paper. Absolute bullshit.

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
I'm applying for provisions... I more or less get an overload of adrenaline in any difficult situation - in exams my hand shakes so bad trying to hold the pen that my writing is an illegible scrawl.

I'm prescribed beta-blockers for it, but I think an extra 10 or so minutes per exam isn't too much to ask for when you have to consciously make an effort to form your letters and words.

I'm a very slow writer, and I suffer from hand cramps worse than most people. Handwriting difficulties are not 'excuses'. I physically can't write as much as some people without having extra time to do it, which puts me at a disadvantage. And yes, I have a report from a registered occupational therapist which provides hard numbers to back that up.
You can change the way you write, you know.

Half way through year 11 I basically scrapped the style of writing I'd been using for 12 years and started anew. Takes time, but it's beginning to pay off now (I handwrite at around 32 wpm, up from around 20)

clo-ree

HSC
i have S.P for my anxiety, depression and ocd as well as a few other medical conditions... I get to type my exams, if i were to write I would be lucky to answer one question, when i write by hand if it looks messy or i make a mistake, i rip the page up and start again.

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
i have S.P for my anxiety, depression and ocd as well as a few other medical conditions... I get to type my exams, if i were to write I would be lucky to answer one question, when i write by hand if it looks messy or i make a mistake, i rip the page up and start again.
Then why are there glaring mistakes in your post?

You don't have OCD, and a laptop is WAY too excessive.

kanux

HSC
i remember reading an article on the SMH about these special provisions long time ago probably like last year, people taking advantage of the special provisions.

getting like doctors to confirm these medical conditions and all those sorts of stuff.

dotdot*love

HSC
same thing happen to our school, this girl from our school is away for practically all her school assessments n she will get a whole weekend to study for her assessments, she will fake her doctor cerf. n everytime she goes n get a doc cerf, her doctor will ask her wat do u want me to put this time? Now she's got special provision, cuz she cant sleep at nite.. cuz she's addicted to coffeee...

BOS this year is a joke...

Rachygurl

HSC
It annoys me though that some people think that those with medical provisions are making it up so they have higher chance of doing well in tha HSC! some people generally need them. I have med Provisions and i dont have anything special, i just sit in tha hall with my jellybeans due to constant low blood sugars that make me faint, and some people think that i and the peolpe with similar problems made it up. No, we just dont want to pass out whilst doing our exams and screw up our chance of doing well in the hsc. Sorry bout tha rant, im just sick of being judged, and others being judged too!!

kanux

HSC
just saying that some people are abusing the system, getting doctors certificates for things like stress...

Not saying that everyone who has special provisions are not legit.
I have a friend who has Arteriovenous malformation, she needs special provisions and that's understandable, she needs breaks and also extra time.

found the article...

NSW govt denies HSC assistance 'rorted'

sj1990

HSC
I totally get where you are coming from, but not all people who apply for provisions because of "stress" are abusing the system. There's a difference to "OMG I have an exam tomorrow" stress, and Clinical Anxiety, where getting out of bed, and even leaving the house can cause panic attacks.

HSC
I understand why people would be bothered about people having extra time, but it is not necessarily an advantage.
I've had special provisions since the beginning of the year, for anxiety related issues. When I had previously done exams in the hall, I felt overwhelmed, would panic and cry etc. Not only embarrassing, but completely distracting when I'm trying to sit an exam. So, I don't have extra time, rest breaks, I'm just seated in another room (by myself), or with a small group of people. Everyone at my school appears to need their provisions for whatever reason, and it's really frustrating having to justify your reasons alllllll the time.

kanux

HSC
yer there are different types of stress but the number of SP apps seem ridiculous to a point where its just seems like some people are really abusing the system.

New speed limits to police HSC 'rorts'
^ anyways i don't believe the system is just.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)