Special Provisions (1 Viewer)

alisondance

HSC
i like to think im nicer than that though! i dnt chew as hard! im the weird one but for goodness sake even 5 year olds realise they need to blow their nose when its runny coz snorting it back up wont help! haha kinda funny coz my brother at home is a shhhoooccckkkinggg snorter!! haha

Shortii Tania

im not short, im fun size
HSC
i didnt even know you could get special provisions for anxiety attacks or deppression...like for dep. i know you can not sit for the hsc and get an estimate mark. i thought that s.p is basically for people like the previously mentioned dislexics (i dont know if that how you spell it properly..) or people who have diabetes or epilepsy.

samthebear

HSC
Special provisions ranges for different things and its not so much for an advantage or whatever, its just to make sure everyone is equal. You dont have a problem then thats fine, but just because a person looks 'normal' on the outside doesnt mean that they have some other private issue that you're not aware of.]

and this:
Special provisions won't make up for poor preparation and not knowing your shit.
If you think you're so fucking good in life that special provision is epic fail because you think its an 'unfair' advantage - try living in that person's life and see how you like it. I'll promise you that you'll wish you didnt qualify for special provisions. Not because people say you're rotting the system but because of the problems that resulted in you needing special provisions.

sj1990

HSC
Yep - generally, for anxiety, which is what i have it for, you get seperate supervision and 5 mins rest time per half hour. That way if just means you aren't in a massive hall with lots of kids. It takes the pressure off, because it doesnt really feel like an exam situation. Also, the 5 minutes rest time is used if you have a panic attack. You can take five minutes to do your relaxation techniques and allow the panic to pass without wasting your writing time, which would inadvertedly make you more stressed!

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
If you think you're so fucking good in life that special provision is epic fail because you think its an 'unfair' advantage - try living in that person's life and see how you like it. I'll promise you that you'll wish you didnt qualify for special provisions. Not because people say you're rotting the system but because of the problems that resulted in you needing special provisions.
I never implied any of that. Ha. I was implying if your manipulating the system in order to make up for poor preparation is not the same as knowing your shit. Special provisions are available because people need them and for those people all they do is level the playing field, i never said it was an unfair advantage nor did my statement insinuate i thought any of the crap you posted.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
no offence, but i think that was a little ott.

samthebear

HSC
I never implied any of that. Ha. I was implying if your manipulating the system in order to make up for poor preparation is not the same as knowing your shit. Special provisions are available because people need them and for those people all they do is level the playing field, i never said it was an unfair advantage nor did my statement insinuate i thought any of the crap you posted.
lol! i wasnt responding to your post! sorry if you got that impression! i just quoted you for truth, the rest after that was in general

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
lol! i wasnt responding to your post! sorry if you got that impression! i just quoted you for truth, the rest after that was in general
my bad indeed.

i don't think hermand ever implied that no one needed special provisions or that they offered an unfair advantage, just that people at her school might have been manipulating them.

sj1990

HSC

Exactly. I've repeated year twelve, I had to drop out of school, I had to live with my grandparents for half a year because my family couldnt take off time to care for me, I've been on medication for the past 2 years (which is why I may sound so calm, but that doesn't mean my anxiety is miraculously cured, it just lessens the intensity) and if i forget to take my medication for a few days (ie. i went camping with mates, was having so much fun that i completely forgot it was hidden in my bag) I experience nausea, headaches, and brainchills...general withdrawal symptoms. Added on to this was the ACTUAL anxiety, where I was having panic attacks every day, couldn't sleep for more than 4 or 5 hours a night, couldnt even get out of bed in the morning.... its not fun...its crap. And so, yeh, I don't feel sorry for taking use of what is rightfully available to me, because throughout the course of the hsc, my marks haven't been nearly as good as they COULD have been, had I not had so much crap to deal with as well.

Rant over :D

kaytt

HSC
i've been diagnosed with a chronic illness since year 9 where i've barely been at school and it took me quite a few months to even get special provs. i do agree that a lot of people do take advantage of it as they think that they gain extra time in the exam to do the work which is not true... for example i'm doing my hsc at home because i can't make on time for the exams because of my 3 hour medical routine every morning and the only provisions aside from that, that i get is being able to eat and drink, toilet breaks and time to rest... not extra time to do the exam.

it's funny though, at my school we had about 10 people who had special provs until year 12 and then it automatically jumped to about 30 just before trials...

sj1990

HSC
Hey Kaytt - I've always wondered how home supervision works. Does a BOS appointed supervisor come to your house?

kaytt

HSC
yep a lady comes half an hour before hand to set up.. i still get the BOS declaration thing read out to me... everything is the same i just do it at home. she then rushes back to the school to hand it in.

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
I think this provisional thing has become insane. Yer some people really deserve it [such as poster above], although lets face it, people are exploiting these conditions.

Considering some of these people are near the top of the state and they still want any unfair advantage they could get.

Just goes to show you how corrupt the system has become and that there are loopholes to get around "Academic equality".

Pathetic.

Last edited:

sj1990

HSC
You don't get given special provisions unless you fit the requirements... and they are strict. I'm sure there are some which aren't necessary, but for genuine people, they aren't trying to beat "top state" kids. They just want an equal chance.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
You don't get given special provisions unless you fit the requirements... and they are strict. I'm sure there are some which aren't necessary, but for genuine people, they aren't trying to beat "top state" kids. They just want an equal chance.
If a student gets caught with a false special provisions claim, their doctor/therapist would probably be suspended by the Medical Board or something. Exploiting the provisions system basically requires getting a doctor to lie for you.

Also I'm annoyed at the comments that suggest that people who rank highly or will do very well in any case shouldn't be eligible. The aim of the scheme is to make sure everyone can show their true capabilities, and if someone at James Ruse has a handwriting problem or something else that means they can't write out their essay as well as other students, then they deserve to be compensated for that and get the just rewards for the study they've put in.

sj1990

HSC
ajdlinux;4682421 Also I'm annoyed at the comments that suggest that people who rank highly or will do very well in any case shouldn't be eligible. The aim of the scheme is to make sure everyone can show their true capabilities ... compensated for that and get the just rewards for the study they've put in.[/quote said:

nail

HSC
N/A
God, i wish i'd applied for s.p.! :(
MY handwriting is truly awful - i didn't know i could get sp just for that! i had occupational therapy for it way back in primary school and it still didn't get better. even an extra five minutes would have been awesome.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
yep a lady comes half an hour before hand to set up.. i still get the BOS declaration thing read out to me... everything is the same i just do it at home. she then rushes back to the school to hand it in.
do you get the same one each time? that would be cute, having a supervisor to look after you :). it would be awesome that you would build a relationship with her (well, i'm assuming they're all female) :).

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
If a student gets caught with a false special provisions claim, their doctor/therapist would probably be suspended by the Medical Board or something. Exploiting the provisions system basically requires getting a doctor to lie for you.

Also I'm annoyed at the comments that suggest that people who rank highly or will do very well in any case shouldn't be eligible. The aim of the scheme is to make sure everyone can show their true capabilities, and if someone at James Ruse has a handwriting problem or something else that means they can't write out their essay as well as other students, then they deserve to be compensated for that and get the just rewards for the study they've put in.
i think handwriting is the most bullshit excuse for special provisions. i can't hold my pencil properly, i get cramps about five minutes in to the exam, my handwriting is almost a scribble (when trying to write fast because my normal writing is tiny and extremely neat and i'm an extremely slow writer), but man up and deal with it.

i agree though, if someone at james ruse actually has a proper problem, sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)