Special Provisions (1 Viewer)

mira.mourad

HSC
i have special provisions.

and yeh... i get how pissed off you would be... and i get how big of an advantage it can be... but there is some stuff that us special provisions kids have to put up with, ie.
1) if you have a serious reason for special provision, you still have to go through the waiting of being accepted for s.p
2) the crap that other people give us, because we are "pussies" and the stigma attached.
3) being in a small exam room, if one of the other s.p kids start losing it (like the kid with a sore hand who was practically banging their head on the desk and was crying and moaning) your exam time and concentration does get interrupted... plus, at my school we are stuck in a tiny room near the library that has outside seating/lessons near it with very loud obnoxious jnrs who dont know how to shut up during hsc exam times.

Too true. I share the pain

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
This guy in my year got special provisions for our midyears and trials because his handwriting is 'slanty'. Such a joke, it's perfectly legible, he's just really epically shit at anything academic, but he got it. Not for the actual HSC though, because that wasn't in the hands of the school.

It's because his dad donates all this shit to the school, hence the son gets whatever he wants...*sigh*, I hate private schools like mine, and how they work.

sj1990

HSC
Do a lot of the kids at your school get provisions? does the private school system encourage that sort of thing?

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
i was so surprised to see so many people from my school getting 'special provisions' and their reasons for getting these 'special provisions' seem so trivial. they are people who are or close to the top of the cohort. for some it's 'anxiety issues' or 'can't put too much stress on their brain' yet they can still achieve top rankings and do tutoring for most or all of their units, others include 'possible nose bleeds from consuming certain foods'.

i was also very astonished at the range of issues they have, and i've known them for so many years yet i have not heard about these issues until HSC started.

i understand that some people genuinely need these rest breaks, but for others, i am not so sure.

what do you think?
i deadset want to shoot people who get 'special provisions' sometimes. the amount of bullshit that people make up is astonishing. there's like ten people in my year with fake 'clinical depression', and a much larger amount with pathetic excuses, and it pisses me off incredibly. i'd actually have a legitimate claim to depression, proper anxiety attacks, etc, but the way i look at it, some people crack and some people don't. i never fail to crack under pressure, and that's something i have to learn how to deal with, not just blame everything on that. it's not worth living if everytime something happens you can't accept responsibility for it.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

ehtefaz.hedayet said:
just wondering do they allow this in selective schools?
my school is selective and it's evidently rife. :mad:

Last edited:

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Do a lot of the kids at your school get provisions? does the private school system encourage that sort of thing?
Quite a few do, it's handwriting related mostly. I'd say out of a fairly small year (60-70) we have about...5 people on special provisions.

I don't think most private schools would, but mine certainly would. It's just really, really corrupt, and it's unfair to judge all private schools like that, because there are some fantastic ones out there- mine's just shit. And they would do ANYTHING for their students to get better marks to make them look good. Anything.

sj1990

HSC
Oh yeh, definitely. It's not all private schools, just like its not all public schools... its been raised that a lot of private schools have more applicants because they have the funding to support those with severe learning disabilities right through high school. I know at my school, a public school, it seems as though a lot of the kids with provisions are more for anxiety/illness than learning disabilities... i think out of 8 kids with special provisions, only one has it for a learning disability - dislexia, and all they get is extra writing time, and blue paper. We have a lot of kids who are like "I broke my arm ten years ago, so I need rest time", but they all seem to be fairly genuine causes.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
i deadset want to shoot people who get 'special provisions' sometimes. the amount of bullshit that people make up is astonishing. there's like ten people in my year with fake 'clinical depression', and a much larger amount with pathetic excuses, and it pisses me off incredibly.
People like this irritate me, they create a stigma that anyone who applies for special provisions for depression or anxiety disorders must be bullshitting and just need to 'man up' (the results of which is clearly evident in this thread).

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
People like this irritate me, they create a stigma that anyone who applies for special provisions for depression or anxiety disorders must be bullshitting and just need to 'man up' (the results of which is clearly evident in this thread).
the people at my school really are though.

one of them is one of the happiest people i know, got really really good ranks for the rest of the year, and suddenly developed depression for the two weeks of trials, "couldn't do exams", and conveniently got an estimated score off her ranks.

alisondance

HSC
we have someone at our school who has a section of dyslexia where they need blue glasses or blue paper to comprehend what's on it. The thing is they play it up because not only does this person read off a white text book and write in white school books just using the glasses in exams they suddenly need A3 paper all in blue, a room to themselves and extra time. That is a joke. If its that bad surely they need books in blue for normal use?????

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
the people at my school really are though.

one of them is one of the happiest people i know, got really really good ranks for the rest of the year, and suddenly developed depression for the two weeks of trials, "couldn't do exams", and conveniently got an estimated score off her ranks.
lol, i wasn't talking about you, i was talking about the people you are referring to. By grappling for any excuse to gain extra marks they make it difficult for those who truly do need such provisions.

gabgab

HSC
we have someone at our school who has a section of dyslexia where they need blue glasses or blue paper to comprehend what's on it. The thing is they play it up because not only does this person read off a white text book and write in white school books just using the glasses in exams they suddenly need A3 paper all in blue, a room to themselves and extra time. That is a joke. If its that bad surely they need books in blue for normal use?????

Maybe it's stress induced?

Or maybe they are having a lend.

either way... :bomb:

alisondance

HSC
i wish i has special provisions. im that person with the super sonic hearing and low tolerance, that is the clickers, sniffers, tappers, whisperers, shakers, coughers. Its not their fault i get that - well except when they have a cold and dnt bring tissues - but i just cant focus. haha sneakily wearing an ear plug in one ear and covering the other when i need to so i dnt swing around and tell them to shut up and get 0 and so i can still hear them say pens down! though most of my year brings tissues or ill give them some coz they're so used to me glaring at them in exams they got the hint pretty quick!! ahahaha

sad i know! i need to be more tolerant!!!!!!!!!!!! but at least im no longer disrupting myslef or others and i didnt have to get special provisions though i was tempted to try so i could just wear ear plugs!! hahaha

sj1990

HSC
Obviously I can't pass judgement because I don't know this girl personally, but you can have a breakdown suddenly. And you can just get to a point where you may believe you are feeling ok, but then just snap... anxiety and depression, while often considered to be only "real" if they occur over a slow period of time/last for a long time, can be short-term and intense, so it is quite possible that she had an outward appearance of being "happy", but later completely cracked. Regardless of what everyone is saying now, ie. "Oh the HSC is so anticlimatic", during the thick of it and especially around the times of the Trials, stress levels are exponentially high. If anything were to trigger a depressive episode at our age, don't you think it could be because of the hsc? Or because you fear you may not live up to everyone's expectations on what you can achieve for your atar? Depression and anxiety are debillitating, and if her case is genuine, then the estimates for her trials weren't "convenient", but necessary for her situation.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
she basically told everyone she made it up :|.

alisondance

HSC
Maybe it's stress induced?

Or maybe they are having a lend.

either way... :bomb:
possibly though i highly doubt it, they're so sure of themselves you just want to bop them on the head! haha. ah well. it doesnt overly bother me special provisions unless they actually get an advantage like if this was a top ranking student because of the extra time, theyre about average so its just a touch annoying!

I was a reader writer for a girl who needed special provisions from her yr10 to yr12, some of the people there so didnt need to be but others like this girl - i basically told her answers and she still had no idea. Its not an advantage if they cant use it as one, most of them still didnt finish with extra time and their answers weren't enough anyway. Makes me feel lucky and annoyed at those (refer above) who abuse the help.

sj1990

HSC
Well... in that case... what a bitch. lol.

I guess that happens with everything. If her rankings were like, amazing, then I think the estimate is a little unfair... if she couldn't be bothered to study she should face up to the consequences like the rest of us, not get her rankings to save her. But, I guess, being on "the other side" where such estimates can be a life saver (literally) and where special provisions are NEEDED, I can be a little intolerant of people who make it harder for genuine people to gain what they need.

gabgab

HSC
sad i know! i need to be more tolerant!!!!!!!!!!!! but at least im no longer disrupting myslef or others and i didnt have to get special provisions though i was tempted to try so i could just wear ear plugs!! hahaha
a guy at my school wears ear plugs in every exam. he's like you. We were in eco one day, and i was talking about unemployment to the girl next to me, and i swear to god, he chewed, swallowed and barfed me back up. then yelled at me.

but i thought you would be allowed? hmm.

alisondance

HSC
a guy at my school wears ear plugs in every exam. he's like you. We were in eco one day, and i was talking about unemployment to the girl next to me, and i swear to god, he chewed, swallowed and barfed me back up. then yelled at me.

but i thought you would be allowed? hmm.
serious! im not the only freak!!!! hahah i probably would have been but i didnt want to ask coz if they said no i wouldnt have handled going without them..

hmmm well im nearly done now finish on monday so ill survive 3 more hours!!

haha i feel so less weird!!

:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)