Somewhat of a problem (1 Viewer)

Examine

same
HSC
So basically I like sharing my notes, helping people, sharing essays with my class, though because of the HSC my mum doesn't want me to share notes, and my friends agree with her somewhat, saying I should stop helping the smart people and continue helping the dropkicks. I've come to realise recently that what they ask might screw me over in the near future, though should I still help people?

Pros
-Increase cohort standards.
-Feels gud

Cons
-People basically ask for my essay before the tests (like an assessment coming up, 4 people have asked)
-If they get my stuff they can improve on it and get better marks.

Also another question is how do you say no when people ask for this stuff :l

Aysce

HSC
Listen, you're doing business studies HSC right? Of course it feels good to help people but your top priority is your INTERNAL RANK. If you help people who are at "the top" or seem to be a threat towards your marks, don't jeopardise your rank by helping them. Trust me, I was in the same situation as you before and guess what happened, the person I gave my english essay to improved on it and beat me. Period. Now, I know it may seem like a dick move but when its your internal rank, it's survival of the fittest. Sure you can help the "drop-kicks" and maybe slightly assist the smarter people - not give your whole assignment away.

If people ask you questions, answer them but if they say "Oh hey (insert name), can you send me your assignment", politely say "No, I have worked very hard on this and I don't want anyone to see this". Only way to say no to people taking your stuff is "No". Although, it kinda makes you feel slack though..

Nevertheless, I hope this helped you.

TL;DR : Help people by answering their questions, but don't let them take your assignments etc.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Listen, you're doing business studies HSC right? Of course it feels good to help people but your top priority is your INTERNAL RANK. If you help people who are at "the top" or seem to be a threat towards your marks, don't jeopardise your rank by helping them. Trust me, I was in the same situation as you before and guess what happened, the person I gave my english essay to improved on it and beat me. Period. Now, I know it may seem like a dick move but when its your internal rank, it's survival of the fittest. Sure you can help the "drop-kicks" and maybe slightly assist the smarter people - not give your whole assignment away.

If people ask you questions, answer them but if they say "Oh hey (insert name), can you send me your assignment", politely say "No, I have worked very hard on this and I don't want anyone to see this". Only way to say no to people taking your stuff is "No". Although, it kinda makes you feel slack though..

Nevertheless, I hope this helped you.

TL;DR : Help people by answering their questions, but don't let them take your assignments etc.
^ This. You can help people in other ways without sending them your assignments/notes. Just helping them understand a concept in class can help people a lot. That way you can still feel good for helping people out and keep your internal ranks up. But the issue with sending people your assignments is that if someone isn't particularly honest and copies and pastes parts from your assignment, you could get zero for an assignment even though they were the ones cheating...just a thought.

Examine

same
HSC
^ This. You can help people in other ways without sending them your assignments/notes. Just helping them understand a concept in class can help people a lot. That way you can still feel good for helping people out and keep your internal ranks up. But the issue with sending people your assignments is that if someone isn't particularly honest and copies and pastes parts from your assignment, you could get zero for an assignment even though they were the ones cheating...just a thought.
It's not that I particularly want to give them my essay, it's that they ask me for it and I find it difficult to say no.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Tell them that you haven't finished with your essay yet?
Say that it's still in draft mode and still needs editing!

You're too kind, Examine! :idea:

Cl324

HSC
N/A
Help them during the year and give them everything after trials if you must!

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Don't help them to the point that they have the potential to over take you. But do help them if they are struggling.

Aysce

HSC
Tell them that you haven't finished with your essay yet?
Say that it's still in draft mode and still needs editing!

You're too kind, Examine! :idea:
And if they ignore what you say and still want it? Seriously, a straight up "No, sorry" with a fair justification will do.

SanjoyM

HSC
So basically I like sharing my notes, helping people, sharing essays with my class, though because of the HSC my mum doesn't want me to share notes, and my friends agree with her somewhat, saying I should stop helping the smart people and continue helping the dropkicks. I've come to realise recently that what they ask might screw me over in the near future, though should I still help people?

Pros
-Increase cohort standards.
-Feels gud

Cons
-People basically ask for my essay before the tests (like an assessment coming up, 4 people have asked)
-If they get my stuff they can improve on it and get better marks.

Also another question is how do you say no when people ask for this stuff :l
If I learned something, it is that HSC is about being "self-fish" to a certain extent!
I learned this the hard way: Gave my friend some of my concepts for a essay, she combined it with her concepts, and achieved more marks than me.. She did not even tell me that she has used my concepts and combined with her concepts!!

So, just be careful!
HSC rule: Think about yourself FIRST! It's you who will be achieving the ATAR, not them, nor are you going to achieve it collectively!
Easy tech to avoid such people: Just say you have not even started yet! Tell them you just cannot be bothered doing it, you don't study etc...
That's what I do from now on... Just tell them you will start it the night before, and if you want to get your drafts marked by your teacher, email it to him/her or give it to him after everyone leaves:)

Hope that helps! :)
Ps: People who have approached me for my Belonging essay still think I haven't started yet :p lol I'm doing my 3rd draft now:p hehe

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
If you're topping the subject and know for sure nobody is going to beat you, then go ahead and help them all you like.

asdfqwerty

HSC
Just say no anyways, and if your friend starts giving you the cold shoulder etc. to make you feel guilty, then that's another reason why you shouldn't share notes with them: they don't respect your work ethics and are just taking advantage of you.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Don't given them assignments. That's the worse thing you can do

Help them with work, share you textbook. Dont hand feed them but give them some help b

Coookies

HSC
Giving essays is a bad idea because its your essay, so you put everyone YOU know into it, but everyone knows different stuff so when they add more ideas of their own, it has a higher chance of being better.

D4rkfang

HSC
N/A
I have a question, what's it mean by 1st, 2nd, 3rd draft? and.. if teachers review your essays beforehand will they mark you down during the marking process cause their familiar with it and you asked for a lot of help?

Examine

same
HSC
Oh well, too late for this assessment, though I think I'd get a decent mark for this one and it's 15%. Just started to get afraid that by doing this more people can tie with me or get 19-20/20

Aysce

HSC
Hopefully you do well and it doesn't happen. I came first and tied with 3 others :S

delian

HSC
N/A
Definitely don't share essays or essay ideas around- they may get copied .
And as a few others have mention, you should focus on your internal rank at the moment.

Examine

same
HSC
Definitely don't share essays or essay ideas around- they may get copied .
And as a few others have mention, you should focus on your internal rank at the moment.
Btw delian I'll probably buy the Economics textbook tomorrow. Pm your mobile and I'll call you to meet me at Pennant Hills Train Station (Should be 6-8pmish)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)