Something better than Investment Banking? (1 Viewer)

study2pass

HSC
Hey everyone,

ok so I have a major interest in both finance and maths and am also doing 4u maths
Ive been thinking about doing commerce/law at UNSW to get into investment banking, but after doing some research ive heard quantitative jobs(especially in hedge fund firms) which involve more math than commerce degrees may pay better than IB and have better working conditons(less hours etc.).

is that true?
and if so, what degrees/options are out there to try and get into this field?
would a commerce/actuarial studies or a commerce/economics degree be helpful? or should i stick with comm/law?

thanks!

Last edited:

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Hedge funds don't run gtad programs generally. IBs are the start off into hedge funds.

BBIB (e..g goldman, JP etc) ---> perform well ---> hedge fund.

Comm/law will require you to perform very well in it. Also unsw comm/law is easier (subjects and marking) so you need close to hd average or hedge fund isnt happening.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
You are advised to study Maths at uni level as well.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Data scientists are still a huge unknown though as whilst plausible and meaningful relationships can be revealed through carefully planned analysis, as a career path, it is yet to really establish itself as the market hasn't really determined what it wants. I'd also say that the field when it matures will be as much about maths as it is about social engineering/understanding.

If the op is extremely focussed on maths, and wants something with shorter but more intense working hours, maybe they are destined to be a trader?

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
Hedge funds don't run gtad programs generally. IBs are the start off into hedge funds.

BBIB (e..g goldman, JP etc) ---> perform well ---> hedge fund.

Comm/law will require you to perform very well in it. Also unsw comm/law is easier (subjects and marking) so you need close to hd average or hedge fund isnt happening.

seconded, I have worked in an investment bank and this is pretty much how you'll do it.... also the hedge fund scene isn't that big in Australia, so you may have to look for opportunities in Asia/the US.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
seconded, I have worked in an investment bank and this is pretty much how you'll do it.... also the hedge fund scene isn't that big in Australia, so you may have to look for opportunities in Asia/the US.
How was Goldman Sachs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)