Society and Culture (1 Viewer)

plasticities

HSC
Im currently in the middle of choosing subjects for year 11, and was thinking about taking society and culture if i cant take 6U science. id only be taking it to fill up units and would drop it in year 12.
Im definitely taking:
Mathematics (2U)
Adv. english (2U)
geography (2U)
Studies of religion (1U) [its mandatory]

So what does the preliminary course involve, and what advice would you give about the Personal Interest Project in yer 12 if i didnt drop it?

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
I hear mountains of really negative comments about soc cult, that its a 'shit course' or its all 'bullshit'. Its just not true, soc cult is such a content heavy, satisfying, challenging and intellectual course. Depending on your teacher and class of course.

I simply adore it.

In regards to your pip, i obviously haven't completed one yet however i think if your passionate about a social cause or issue you will do brilliantly.
If 'society and culture' is something you find appealing, i thoroughly recommend it.

aisha.kellaway

HSC
hey-im in yr 12 for SAC and yeah-its a great subject thats really relevant through well so many aspects of life i general-i use what i learn every single day in the way i thin and my awareness and attitudes towards ppl and gorups in society. It is very heavy loaded with content and is concept based-however if you can get your head around the style of writing and application you should be fine.

Finished my pip about a month ago-if you work consistently throughout the year, its not too bad and elements are really enjoyable... most of all its so satisfying to hand in and you feel sooooo proud and relieved!

let us know what you choose!
plus any other questions feel free to message me =)

xxxx

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
You should definately do it, I regret not doing it.
Much of the criticism comes from its low scaling, but if you're dropping it in yr 12 then that shouldnt concern you. If you do enjoy it and decide to keep it the scaling wont matter anyway cos it only affects you if you badly blah blah,
But yeah it sounds really interesting, Id say yes :D

speedofsound

HSC
definitely do it if you're interested in how society functions, social issues and whatnot. i personally love the subject and am actually really looking forward to doing the PIP.

Tayla Jane

HSC
ive just finished year 11 and i did society and culture and found it was really interesting and i liked it alot.
so if that helps

itszen

HSC
Im also thinking of doing society and culture and im showing a strong interest in that area . But is the subject very good for the hsc? Does it scale well if i do good in the exam? Because im considering dropping economics ( dont even know wth THATS about in depth.) and choosing this subject? Anyone doing this subject in hsc?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Im also thinking of doing society and culture and im showing a strong interest in that area . But is the subject very good for the hsc? Does it scale well if i do good in the exam? Because im considering dropping economics ( dont even know wth THATS about in depth.) and choosing this subject? Anyone doing this subject in hsc?
No, it's not a brilliant scaler but let me emphasis here, this does not matter if you do well. Society and Culture is an incredibly rewarding course and i do recommend it, however just keep in mind it is not like a lot of other humanities subjects where you just spew out info and theres your marks. In SaC they give you the tools to answer the questions, but you have to apply them and work out the answers yourself, nothing is handed to you on a plate.

HSC
I do Society and Culture and i absolutely LOVE it! our teacher is amazing, she is really enthusastic about it and loves our class. We are starting our popular culture unit and doing it on Bollywood so like one friday afternoon were going to stay back after school watching a bollywood movie with Pizza and Maccas. But if your passionate about finding out about cultures choose it!

I get my PIP soon and definately keen to get it and do it! its my idea of an assessment..not so much the writing aspect but finding out something your passionate about! Cos this afternoon Myself,Mum and My Family friend whose a SAC teacher are going to have coffee and brainstorm ideas for my PIP but they have warned me do not do BODY IMAGE!

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
I did it last year (see sig) and absolutely loved it. It's the kind of course which requires a deep understanding of interconnected concepts rather than rote-learned essays or micro details. Which means that it's great to study because you can do it by discussion or even just by thinking about it :). My study for the HSC consisted solely of making a master set of study notes and then talking about possible essay questions with my friends and family, which was fun.

Don't get me wrong, it's a hard course to get right and you have to learn how to channel your thinking into the kind of responses that they want but it really is like a breath of fresh air next to courses like English. And no, it doesn't scale amazingly but as with all courses if you do well then you reap the rewards.

IIRC the Preliminary course involves things like your personal and social world, adolescence and developmental theories and intercultural communication. The HSC year, if you keep it, involves Social and Cultural Continuity and Change (where you have to do a national case study) and then two other case studies (I did popular culture and belief systems), as well as the PIP.

The PIP is challenging because it's long-term and requires you to work independently but if you pick something you really like (not something that you feel like you have to do) then it's very rewarding. So for people who are starting it, I'd advise you to look at what you're interested in first of all and see whether it could be related to a PIP study.

Basically I'd encourage people to ignore the scaling and choose it based on interest because if you really like it you'll put in the effort required to do well, and then the scaling won't hurt you anyway :).

Last edited:

itszen

HSC
Soooo... would you guys pick either economics or society and culture?

bbychocoholic

HSC
I did Society and Culture this year but am considering dropping it, not cause its a shit subject or anything- there's other reasons.

but anyway- the Preliminary Course wasn't too bad, i enjoyed it. But you have to be prepared to understand and memorise the concepts for EACH topic you do + the concepts for the overall subject (Society, Culture, Time, Environment and People- correct me if I'm wrong guys) then incorporate them into your answers. So although many people think its bludgy or whatever- its actually not. Takes alot of work and time to get through it all.

That said though, it is fun, particularly when discussing miscommunications (especially between male and female- i know my class was really into that kind of thing) or when you study another culture (we did Vietnam and although I'm Vietnamese, I still found it enjoyable). There's usually lots of discussions and bouncing ideas off one another, rather than the boring whole teacher explains, gives you questions then you go through the answers.

so yeahs i do recommend it. don't stress about scaling, as long as you do well it'll all be fine. =)

so I've helped out anyone considering it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)