• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Soccer Thread : 2004-05 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Juve interest in Vieira deepens
PA Sport

Juventus is ready to pounce for French midfielder Patrick Vieira of Arsenal as the London club admitted it is prepared to listen to any offers made by the Italian giant.

The Gunners are reluctant to sell their captain, but they admit Vieira, a player coveted by Europe's biggest clubs in recent seasons, may finally leave Highbury.

"I gather they (Juventus) have made inquiries but we are very undecided as to whether we are going to talk to them or not," Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood told the Daily Star.

"Patrick is aware they have approached us and it all very much depends on what they offer and what he wants to do."

"In a situation like this, you have to listen to what they say and tell the player about it."

Juventus, the Italian champions, believe their squad is already strong enough to win a second straight Scudetto.

But Juve president Franzo Grande Stevens said: "I don't exclude that (general director Luciano) Moggi can do something else."

"Juve's transfer market is still open and there is still time to make some exchanges."

Juventus boss Fabio Capello, who coached Vieira at Milan, said at the club's presentation on Monday: "I don't exclude new arrivals if it will improve the squad."

"(But) We don't buy just for the sake of it."

Reporters pressed club vice-president Roberto Bettega about Vieira at Salice Terme, the venue for Juve's presentation, about the possibility of Juve executives travelling to London to meet with Arsenal.

"It's not in our programme to travel to London," answered Bettega, who then referred to last week's terrorist attacks in the UK capital.

"It's not the best place to be at this time, but returning to football, and in particular to the transfer market, it's not certain that what happens has to be necessarily English."

Juventus, who were knocked out of the Champions League last season by Liverpool but made amends by beating AC Milan to the Scudetto, have this off season acquired defenders Giorgio Chiellini and Robert Kovac, and midfielder Giuliano Giannichedda.

Vieira would bolster the squad even further.

Gazzetta dello Sport reported on Tuesday that Juve, who had an initial offer of seven million euros (A$11.3million) and Ghanaian midfielder Stephen Appiah turned down for Vieira, upped their bid on Monday despite's Bettega's early comments that no Juve representatives were travelling to London.

Moggi, who signed Adrian Mutu last northern summer when he was cut loose by Chelsea after failing a drugs test, will be the key man at Juve if they are to buy Vieira.

At the Juve presentation, Moggi said: "Of course, we remain concentrated on the market."

"In the improbable case that a chance comes along, perhaps it would be done with a player exchange."

"Of course, some players may evidently leave but our team is done, it's competitive in all fronts."

Hm.... although chancez appear to be slim, it certainly iz a time to worry fo Arsenal fanz.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
LMF^^ said:

Hm.... although chancez appear to be slim, it certainly iz a time to worry fo Arsenal fanz.

i dont think so. This happens with Vieira every year. Wenger won't sell one of his best players.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
He went close last season, but decided to stay fo hiz French buddiez. Well you just never know what Vieira wantz to do, thingz can all change very quickly. If Vieira wantz to go, then he will go.

HSC
I think Vieria will go. The fact that he is approaching 30 and there is interest from both Juve and Real Madrid who are willing to pay 14mill (maybe more), I think something will be agreed. However, If anything is to happen, I think he will choose Real over Juventus.
What soccer sites do yous go to check out soccer news? A great soccer site that I go to is the tribalfootball website.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Mate tribal football is the biggest bs site lol. i regularly check out yahoo soccer, bbc soccer and soccernet.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
#23 said:
I think Vieria will go. The fact that he is approaching 30 and there is interest from both Juve and Real Madrid who are willing to pay 14mill (maybe more), I think something will be agreed. However, If anything is to happen, I think he will choose Real over Juventus.
What soccer sites do yous go to check out soccer news? A great soccer site that I go to is the tribalfootball website.
lol tribalfootball. I check out soccernet, theworldgame, and of course, www.manutd.com

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Tribal Football is a load of speculation and crap. I check out Sky Sports, BBC Soccer, and premierleague.com if something big is happening or if I want to see a complete list of transfers.

EDIT: Just noticed last friendly results. Rushden United 0-10 Bolton Wanderers

Looking good :D.

Last edited:

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
I think Vieira leaving is something most Arsenal fans can stomach.

He's well past his best and it makes sense to sell him now while his reputation will still get us a big price tag. The only problem is the effect him leaving will have on the likes of Henry and Wenger regarding their new contracts. However if we sell him and get Essien/Mascherano then I'd be delighted.

Crazy Horse

HSC
^ That so HeCtic?

In any case lets hope your a man of your word....

HeCtic said:
If Vieira leaves Arsenal, I'll put a pic of Frank Lumparse in my sig for a month.

Edit: And just so you won't forget - I've placed it in my sig as well :D

Last edited:

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Alwayz Diana said:
^ That so HeCtic?

In any case lets hope your a man of your word....

Edit: And just so you won't forget - I've placed it in my sig as well :D
.......lol :p . If I was you I would start downloading pics of Lampard now HeCtic.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
Alwayz Diana said:
^ That so HeCtic?
Ya. Vieira leaving won't worry me at all. He's been inconsistent and injured a lot too much for the past two seasons. Sell him while people still want to pay top dollar for him.

Pires leaving on the other hand scares me shitless. Can't lose Pires to Gala or Italy or wherever.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
HeCtic said:
Ya. Vieira leaving won't worry me at all. He's been inconsistent and injured a lot too much for the past two seasons. Sell him while people still want to pay top dollar for him.
...Are you still going to put a pic of Lampard in your avatar? Or are you not a man of your word HeCtic? :p

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
matt#1 said:
...Are you still going to put a pic of Lampard in your avatar? Or are you not a man of your word HeCtic? :p
Has he left Arsenal yet? Does anyone know if he going at all?

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Pires is still at Arsenal but Gala claims they're close to signing him. Personally I don't see why Arsenal are stalling on giving him an extra year, who's to cover for Reyes if he misfires like he did for the better part of last season?

matt#1

HSC
N/A
HeCtic said:
Has he left Arsenal yet? Does anyone know if he going at all?
I still don't think that Vieira willl go...but clearly there is a good chance that Lampard will be gracing your avatar pretty soon. :p

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
My avatar is telling you something at this moment.

My sig on the other hand could get very fat and ugly very soon. But I wouldn't mind Vieira going nonetheless.

Crazy Horse

HSC
JOSE MOURINHO has told Chelsea’s title rivals: "Improve or we’ll do you again next season."

The Blues romped to the Premiership crown by an amazing 12 points last season and are hot favourites to retain it next term.

And Mourinho reckons the likes of Arsenal and Manchester United must raise their game if they are to stand any chance of success.

He said: "This season other teams know how strong we are and they have to improve. If they are the same then they have no chance."

Mourinho could not believe United still did a lap of honour at Old Trafford after their final home game in May — despite a trophy-less season.

He added: "If they had done that in Portugal they would have had bottles thrown at them!
We know it will be harder for us this season but I always think the most difficult thing is to win the first trophy then defend it."

Mourinho revealed he felt frustrated at the end of Chelsea’s double-winning campaign — because his team had failed to win all four trophies.

He said: "At the start of the season, I want to win everything. I’m frustrated because we did not win everything last season."

Haha - He sure doesn't like the limelight gone for too long aye?

I thought the bit about United was great. I would pay to see United fans pelt bottles at the likes of Rooney and Ronaldo. I would also love to see someone throw a few dollars at Rio and tell him that’s all his worth. God I can’t believe the club stuck with him throughout his ban and his now demanding to be paid more than Keane and such!

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Itz the fuckin agentz, keep tellin him hez worth such and such.

I would love to see Liverpool fanz burn the Gerrard shirtz again. :D

matt#1

HSC
N/A
Alwayz Diana said:
I thought the bit about United was great. I would pay to see United fans pelt bottles at the likes of Rooney and Ronaldo.

Maybe Rooney deserves to have a few bottles thrown at him...but why do you constantly have a go at Ronaldo? :rolleyes: I would choose Ronaldo over Alonso any day. I wouldn't, however, mind paying to see the looks on the faces of all the 'Pool fans who burnt their Gerrard jerseys though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)