Sleeping with damp hair (1 Viewer)

sunsettah

HSC
I was expecting just slightly more maturity I guess... haha. touche.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
sunsettah said:
I love how it's my arrogance, not my chem teacher spinning crap to me...

All I did was quote what I was told... Most people would politely correct someone and try to help them out...

But that wouldn't be as fun as increasing your ego I suppose...
Mature people don't believe everything they are told or get defensive when corrected/ presented with an alternative argument.

Its funny to be in a first year subject as a second year, I took a first year pol class for interest in second year and it was funny to see the first years struggling to grasp the concept of independant learning, though and just being able to disagree with the teacher.

boris

Banned
HSC
Oh yeah and like we are going to listen to some twilight fantard lol

Furbob

HSC
I only very rarely go to sleep with damp hair, other than that I dont like the feeling of sleeping with damp hair since it makes my hair go super-flat on one side, making my head/hair look retarded :(

wow this is such an asian thread, I only know from my asian mum (Im only half-asian lol) telling me about the headaches and such

neeksy45

HSC
i normally sleep with damp hair, my hair takes hours to completely dry, and for it to be dry by sleep time i need to wash it before 3.
i don't wash it in the morning because it goes poofy, and if i wash it at night i wake up with nice smooth hair rather that poofy and frizzy.

kasakiki

HSC
Uni Grad
lolz, this thread is fun!
I sleep with my hair in varying degree's of wetness everynight and so far i can assure you for me personally:
1)No Headaches
2)no Blindness (lol, wtf?!)
3)No Dandruff
4)No Split ends (well, no more than usual)
5) no worries from hairdresser
6) my hair never behaves, ever
7)no sudden and inexplicably horrible events or illnesses have befallen me as a result..

why do i put myself in such a clearly dangerous situation every night?
well, i am lazy and dont like hairdryers. Hairdryers =afro :)

likingtherain

HSC
N/A
The only thing sleeping with damp hair will give you is a damp pillow.

dolbinau

HSC
bobet said:
kudos to you. common sense :D and the other people who mentioned the above.
Is this a joke? You obviously don't 'catch a cold' from being cold...

This myth 'sleeping with damp hair' is ridiculous.

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
bobet said:
its not a myth its proven!!!!
If your hair is wet when your sleeping at night, if there is a draft or a chill it makes you more suscepitble to getting a cold or a head cold.

its simple.
doesnt mean you will 100%.
gawdddd.

KEY WORD SUSCEPTIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its early so ui cant spell.

go ask ur doctor perhaps.
No it fucking doesn't.

YOU CANNOT GET THE "COMMON COLD" FROM BEING COLD.

IT ISN'T PROVEN, IT IS A MYTH, AND I WILL BEAT YOUR DUMB ARSE DOWN WITH CREDIBLE SOURCES IF YOU TRY AND SPILL THIS SHIT.

AND NO, IT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE YOU MORE "SUSCEPTIBLE" BECAUSE IT'S A FUCKING VIRUS THAT CAUSES THE COMMON COLD, NOT A "CHILL"

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
The nose contains shelf-like structures called turbinates, which help trap particles entering the nasal passages. Material deposited in the nose is transported by ciliary action to the back of the throat in 10-15 minutes. Cold viruses are believed to be carried to the back of the throat where they are deposited in the area of the adenoid. The adenoid is a lymph gland structure that contains cells to which cold viruses attach

A common cold is an illness caused by a virus infection located in the nose. (1) Colds also involve the sinuses, ears, and bronchial tubes.

The symptoms of a common cold include sneezing, runny nose, nasal obstruction, sore or scratchy throat, cough, hoarseness, and mild general symptoms like headache, feverishness, chilliness, and not feeling well in general. (1, 2)

Colds last on average for one week. Mild colds may last only 2 or 3 days while severe colds may last for up to 2 weeks.(1, 2)

A cold is a milder illness than influenza. Influenza typically causes fever, muscle aches, and a more severe cough. However, mild cases of influenza are similar to colds. (3)

Adults average 2 to 3 colds per year and children 6 to 10, depending on their age and exposure. Children's noses are the major source of cold viruses. (4)

There are over 100 different cold viruses. Rhinoviruses are the most important and cause at least one-half of colds. (5)

Cold viruses can only multiply when they are inside of living cells. When on an environmental surface, cold viruses cannot multiply. However, they are still infectious if they are transported from an environmental site into the nose. (6, 7)

Cold viruses live only in the noses of humans and not in animals except chimpanzees and other higher primates. (4)

A cold virus is deposited into the front of the nasal passages by contaminated fingers or by droplets from coughs and sneezes. (7) Small doses of virus (1-30 particles) are sufficient to produce infection. (8, 9)

The virus is then transported to the back of the nose and onto the adenoid area by the nose itself!

The virus then attaches to a receptor (ICAM-1) which is located on the surface of nasal cells. (11) The receptor fits into a docking port on the surface of the virus. Large amounts of virus receptor are present on cells of the adenoid. (12)

After attachment to the receptor, virus is taken into the cell where it starts an infection. (5) New virus particles are produced in the infected cell. The infected cell eventually dies and ruptures, releasing newly made cold virus to infect other cells in the nose and start the process over again. The virus is much smaller than the cell.

Small doses of virus (1-30 virus particles) when introduced into the nose are sufficient to reliably produce infection. (8, 9)

From the time a cold virus enters the nose, it takes 8-12 hours for the viral reproductive cycle to be completed and for new cold virus to be released in nasal secretions. (13) This interval is called the incubation period.

Cold symptoms can also begin shortly after virus is first produced in the nose (10-12 hours). (13) The time from the beginning of the infection to the peak of symptoms is typically 36-72 hours. (1, 2)

Myth 1:

The greatest myth about the common cold is that susceptibility to colds requires a weakened immune system.

Facts:

1. Healthy people with normal immune systems are highly susceptible to cold virus infection once the virus enters the nose. In volunteers studies, approximately 95% of normal adults became infected when virus was dropped into the nose (72, also see How Cold Virus Infection Occurs).

2. Of people who become infected, only 75% develop symptoms with a cold. (5, 72) The other 25% have virus growing in the nose but have no symptoms. They have an "asymptomatic infection".

3. Why people sometimes become infected but do not develop cold symptoms is a mystery. One clue is that in such instances the person may not be producing the normal amount of certain inflammatory mediators, the natural body chemicals which cause cold symptoms (2, also see What Causes Cold Symptoms). If this theory is correct, then people with active immune systems may be more prone to developing cold symptoms than people with less active immune systems!

Myth 3:

Becoming cold or chilled leads to catching a cold.

Facts:

1. As discussed above, almost everybody becomes infected whether they are chilled or not, if cold virus is dropped into the nose. (72)

2. One study has looked at this question. It was found that colds were no more frequent or severe in volunteers who were chilled than those who were not. (76)

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
whenever i sleep with wet hair i just put a soft towel over my pillow.
my mum always says that sleeping with wet hair will cause a cold (proven as myth above) but im not convinced because he other night i left my fan on high all night and the next morning i had a cold :/

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Cool story.

Stick with economics, won't you. Don't touch virology with a stick, lord knows it doesn't need any more anecdotal evidence helping it along.

You guys probably all think you can cure a cold with antibiotics too, eh.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Catching a cold from feeling cold doesnt make any sense if u think scientifically.

And sleeping with damp hair feels kinda weird. For me at least.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
It doesn't need to make sense scientifically, if you use your fucking head properly at all it will just make sense.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
hollyy. said:
whenever i sleep with wet hair i just put a soft towel over my pillow.
my mum always says that sleeping with wet hair will cause a cold (proven as myth above) but im not convinced because he other night i left my fan on high all night and the next morning i had a cold :/
That could be for so many reasons though, like you were getting a cold and the symptoms showed up that morning, hayfever, the fan blew some dust around which irritated your nose, or like me sometimes you wake up with a blocked nose from breathing funny in your sleep.

alexmartinek

HSC
sleeping with damp hair will only give you a chill...otherwise im confident in saying that is a myth

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
I don't give a rats arse if you guys are confident it's a myth.

The effing science is there. Stop ignoring it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)