• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should I go to the FINS1613 lecture? (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You can always attend the lecture, but do something else in that time (ie. readings or homework or research etc.), if you are not so keen on "missing" the lecture.
Defeats the purpose though, don't you think?

Rather just park in the ASB and do real study rather than quasi-study in a lecture with the lecturing perhaps being a distraction.

tambam

HSC
Last sem i didn't go to any of my lectures and I still did pretty well, I think personally I just learn better by reading the textbook.

I think you just have to be selective- if the lecturer is essentially reading off the slides or using the exact same examples from the textbook and you're zoning out, then your time would be better spent in self study at the library/asb.

For finance I just sit upstairs where I can leave without doing the walk of shame past the lecturer ha.

HSC
Uni Grad

Rather just park in the ASB and do real study rather than quasi-study in a lecture with the lecturing perhaps being a distraction.
I would do that instead. Opportunity cost mate; you will end up getting more work done in the ASB alone as opposed to going to a lecture and trying to work there. Make the 2 hours a good 2 hours.

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
oh you're an international student... ohhhhhhhhh

I understand.

Anyways, that's why you make some friends.
Everyone has their own group of friends. Cue the world's smallest violin.

This. Or since I live just 15 minutes away from uni, I'd rather go home and do work.

Last sem i didn't go to any of my lectures and I still did pretty well, I think personally I just learn better by reading the textbook.

I think you just have to be selective- if the lecturer is essentially reading off the slides or using the exact same examples from the textbook and you're zoning out, then your time would be better spent in self study at the library/asb.

For finance I just sit upstairs where I can leave without doing the walk of shame past the lecturer ha.
There are doors at the top? I'll have to sit there next time.

I would do that instead. Opportunity cost mate; you will end up getting more work done in the ASB alone as opposed to going to a lecture and trying to work there. Make the 2 hours a good 2 hours.
Economics! I'm actually finding it more fun than Finance. And I used to hate Economics in high school...

Yeah the lectures for this one unfortunately suck. I find it difficult to follow formula's that are 'proofed' with each step going being a new slide, and it doesn't help when he constantly refers back to a formula you supposedly just learnt 20 slides ago. The book clarifies the lectures as opposed to say legt1710 where Leela does an absolutely fantastic job of clarifying the book.
Quiz this week hope everyone's ready...
Definitely not ready for the quiz. I'm already stuck on the annuities part. Got to study those more before moving onto the next couple of chapters.

I guess that I'll just see how my mood is tomorrow. Most likely, I'll either go home to study and eat a late lunch or go to the ASB to study.

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
Your English is impeccable :awesome:
I hope that wasn't sarcastic. ;D

But thank you. I might be an international student, but my first language is English. At home, I speak English. The only other language that I'm fluent in is Japanese, and I'm not entirely fluent in that...

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I hope that wasn't sarcastic. ;D

But thank you. I might be an international student, but my first language is English. At home, I speak English. The only other language that I'm fluent in is Japanese, and I'm not entirely fluent in that...
It was a compliment. When reading posts it is normally fairly clear who is and is not a native English speaker and you seemed to be, which given your post above would make more sense now. :)

D94

HSC
N/A

Well, sure it defeats the purpose, but the main criteria was to "attend the lecture" (on a self-moral basis), so any alternative other than attending the lecture wouldn't be viable to the criteria, but obviously practical. So if that self-moral restriction wasn't imposed, then sure, head off to ASB or library or some where peaceful or stay at home would be my suggestion too.

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
It was a compliment. When reading posts it is normally fairly clear who is and is not a native English speaker and you seemed to be, which given your post above would make more sense now. :)
Then thank you for the compliment. Sorry, it's just that on the Internet, you're never really sure whether something is meant to be sarcastic or a genuine compliment, so I had to make sure. ;)

My family decided to raise me with English as my first language so that I would be prepared to travel, live, and work in a Western country when I became old enough to do so. That's why English is my first language.

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I can already tell the whole course pretty much revolves around the compounding/discounting and annuity/dividend models so best to get them solidly understood..
Where in the ASB can you study, never really been in there? I live on campus anyway but try to go to the library as often as possible to get as far away from the distractions of the damn computer and 100mb/s internet at the village, at least a laptop with uniwide sucks so much it may as well not be used.
On the upper floors, there are many study rooms with glass doors that you can just enter and study in. You can also just sit down on any random desk and chair and start studying. The ASB is generally pretty quiet, especially early in the morning, so it's a great place to study in.

And if you have a solid grasp with compounding, discounting, and annuities, please teach me your wise ways.

Well, sure it defeats the purpose, but the main criteria was to "attend the lecture" (on a self-moral basis), so any alternative other than attending the lecture wouldn't be viable to the criteria, but obviously practical. So if that self-moral restriction wasn't imposed, then sure, head off to ASB or library or some where peaceful or stay at home would be my suggestion too.
I'll take your practical solution into account then. I'm beginning to give up on my self-moral restriction, haha.

is a roflcopter
HSC
just do what it takes to pass the exam?

if i recall, the lectures were quite helpful to me for 1613.

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
just do what it takes to pass the exam?

if i recall, the lectures were quite helpful to me for 1613.
When did you take FINS1613? Things have probably changed if you took it a few years ago...

is a roflcopter
HSC
i took it AGESSS ago
but im guessing the course contents are roughly the same.

you shouldnt feel any moral / financial obligation to attend a lecture, you are paying for the degree as far as im concerned so if you are doing well without the lecture then thats fine - opposite applies if you are failing though haha

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
i took it AGESSS ago
but im guessing the course contents are roughly the same.

you shouldnt feel any moral / financial obligation to attend a lecture, you are paying for the degree as far as im concerned so if you are doing well without the lecture then thats fine - opposite applies if you are failing though haha
That explains it. You probably had a better lecturer, haha. ;D (Lucky you.)

Seeing as how I'm still awake at this ungodly hour, I'll probably skip tomorrow's lecture. Took a look at the slides and they seem to explain the content well enough, so I can't be bothered going.

Question2

HSC
N/A
Im surprised nobody has mentioned that FINS 1613 lectures are recorded. I find it much more effective to listen to the lecture recordings....too bad MGMT 1001 doesnt have any.

MGMT 1001 seems to be mostly reading off lecture slides too...anyone else notice that? And im not even sure what im supposed to be learning from MARK 1012...(same goes for MGMT 1001 actually).

ECON 1101 and FINS 1613 is really straight forward, just that FINS 1613 is tough with all the formulaes.

Btw, for those who have done FINS 1613 before, are you expected to memorize all the formulaes?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
You need to know the formulas. I find it easier to derive though.

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
Im surprised nobody has mentioned that FINS 1613 lectures are recorded. I find it much more effective to listen to the lecture recordings....too bad MGMT 1001 doesnt have any.

MGMT 1001 seems to be mostly reading off lecture slides too...anyone else notice that? And im not even sure what im supposed to be learning from MARK 1012...(same goes for MGMT 1001 actually).

ECON 1101 and FINS 1613 is really straight forward, just that FINS 1613 is tough with all the formulaes.

Btw, for those who have done FINS 1613 before, are you expected to memorize all the formulaes?
They are recorded, but it usually takes a few days before the lecture recordings are put online.

And for me, the difference between MGMT1001 lectures and FINS1613 lectures is the lecturers. I attend all of my MGMT1001 lectures because the lecturers break down what's on the slide into simpler terms. They also interact with us, which lets us learn at a faster rate than, say, in FINS1613, where the lecturer just rattles off information without pausing to let us soak in the information or even jot it down in the form of a few short notes. =/

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If people have groups of friends, then join their group.

Sit with people in the lecture. Make friends with those in your tutes and then sit with them in the lecture...

friends won't come to you if you make no effort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)