Should I go to the FINS1613 lecture? (1 Viewer)

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm really contemplating on whether or not I should go.

Each time I sit down in that lecture room, I feel like I'm wasting two hours of my day on absolutely nothing. I sit down, take out a blank piece of paper and a pen, listen to the lecturer talk about stuff that I don't understand for two hours, nod off once or twice, and leave with a blank piece of paper and with nothing absorbed into my mind.

For the past three weeks, all of the content that I've learned for FINS1613 has come out of the PowerPoint slides, the textbook, and my tutorial questions and answers. Not a single bit of it came from the lecturer's mouth. Other than, you know, what the quizzes will cover and stuff like that. But the lecturer also announces that sort of thing on the BlackBoard, so...

So, well, I'm wondering why I'm even bothering to spend two hours of my time at that lecture. I learn nothing, I gain nothing, and I waste two hours of precious, precious time. (Time is always precious. Always.)

And to be completely honest with you guys, my motivation to not go to this lecture shoots up even more when I look around the lecture room and find 80% of the people on their smartphones, laptops, or dead asleep. And each time I see people leaving early... oh god, what I would give to be them.

Opinions? Go or not go?

(As an interesting note, my parents tried to scold me when I told them that I was falling asleep in this lecture. "Tried" being the key word. As soon as they started berating me, I started ranting about how much I hated being in the lecture because I gained nothing out of it and how the textbook was a better investment than a friggin' two hour lecture that taught me nothing by the end of it. I think I shouted at them for 15 minutes, haha. Scared them so badly that they didn't dare scold me any longer. Which kind of shows you how badly I want to ditch this lecture, but I'm still held by stupid moral obligations... oh, and financial obligations... ugh.)

SOMEONE GIVE ME FREEDOM ALREADY. Tell me you're also skipping the lecture, or, or... ugh.

halapenyo

HSC
yeah i dont go to any of the commerce lectures EXCEPT for my actuarial courses (math1251, actl1001). srsly though if you arent learning anything in the lecture you might as well skip it and use that 2 hours constructively.

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm planning to skip my FINS1613 lectures from now, it's so pointless :/

I can also gain some extra sleep as a result.

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
Thank god (or everything that's up there) that I'm not the only one thinking that it's a waste of time.

I've been brought up to be a good girl (damn) though, so the only way I can really skip my lectures is if I get my parents' permission to do so.

I guess I'll just be brave, ring them up, and see the results. *sigh*

Luckily, they have allowed me to skip classes before to work on other, more important stuff. And I've already ranted several times on how useless going to that specific lecture is for me.

So hopefully they'll listen. Otherwise my moral side (screw financial obligation side) won't be satisfied. =/

halapenyo

HSC
dont ask your parents lol. just dont go. your parents wont understand anyway, they arent the ones going to these lectures, you are.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Why would you ring your parents and ask their permission? You are no longer in high school anymore. It sounds like you need to grow up. If you don't want to go to a lecture as it is pointless, then simply don't go.

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
Pfft, I just feel bad if I don't ring 'em up. If I were the one paying for my education, I wouldn't give a damn, but I'm not. They are. So they have the right to know, and I have the responsibility to let 'em know.

Sucks, but that's the way I was raised. Asian here - all of us are scared to death of disobeying our parents, remember? They'll most likely just let me skip if I really want to skip anyway, so there's no harm in telling them.

Besides, if I don't tell them and they ever, somehow, find out, they'll never pay for my education again.

Yes, I am being serious.

Edit: By the way, my parents will most likely understand. My father admitted to trying drugs once and not liking them, haha. They also told me that they don't mind if I drink alcohol (even though I'm underage), but I just don't want to drink alcohol or smoke or anything like that, so... yeah. They're pretty free with those types of things.

HSC
Uni Grad
Thank god (or everything that's up there) that I'm not the only one thinking that it's a waste of time.

I've been brought up to be a good girl (damn) though, so the only way I can really skip my lectures is if I get my parents' permission to do so.

I guess I'll just be brave, ring them up, and see the results. *sigh*

Luckily, they have allowed me to skip classes before to work on other, more important stuff. And I've already ranted several times on how useless going to that specific lecture is for me.

So hopefully they'll listen. Otherwise my moral side (screw financial obligation side) won't be satisfied. =/
Well my parents don't care if I skip them, just as long as I work hard on my own and obtain good enough results that are enough to get me employment.

I've already jigged several maths lectures (Brian Jefferies... *sigh*)

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
Well my parents don't care if I skip them, just as long as I work hard on my own and obtain good enough results that are enough to get me employment.

I've already jigged several maths lectures (Brian Jefferies... *sigh*)
My parents care quite a bit if I skip any class. They grew up rather poor and had to pay for their own university educations, so they're really strict when it comes to me attending my classes. If I don't want to attend a class, I have to provide reasons why, tell them ahead of time, and get their permission to skip them.

Otherwise, if I don't let them know and they ever find out, they'll never pay for my tuition fees again. If I didn't get into a good university, they were never going to let me go to university either. It would just be a waste of money and time for me.

Now that I'm in university, they expect me to get the best grades possible. After this semester is over, they expect me to have a part time job and pay for any food and travel expenses that I have, and if possible, pay for some of my rent. I'm worried that they won't give me any money to pay for my food after this semester is over, even if I don't manage to get a part time job... *sigh* (But that's another matter.)

In my case, it's better to be honest. I just have too much to lose if I try to deceive 'em, especially since they're the ones paying for my tuition and living costs.

atar90plus

01000101=YES! YES! YES!
HSC
But also don't forget you are wasting money not going to the lectures since you have the fees are included in your hex

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
But also don't forget you are wasting money not going to the lectures since you have the fees are included in your hex
Yeah, I know that. That's why I'm weighing the financial costs with the time benefits... *sigh*

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
I go to the lecture. lol
How do you survive? I swear, that place is a hellhole. All my other lectures are better than this one. I'm seriously going to ditch this one.

And I'm saying this as someone who used to attend all her classes even when she had a high fever. I'm also saying this as someone who kept attending all her classes until one day, she collapsed while trying to leave her home and had to be taken to a hospital.

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroiditis and had to stay in the hospital for three days so that they could properly diagnose me. Even after I got home, I was so sick that I couldn't get out of bed for at least two weeks. Ended up missing all of my exams. Now that was a painful year! 8'D (Luckily, my teachers exempted me from my exams and just gave me a grade based on my class work.)

Apparently, I was supposed to realize something was wrong when I felt so tired that I couldn't even walk up the school stairs. But I was so focused on attending all of my classes and getting all my work done that I just ignored the signs. *sweatdrop*

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Well I can survive an hour into the lecture but after that I day dream a bit.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
lol fins1613

i know dat f33l

most boring lecture ever. last year, i just played words with friends or did maths homework. and towards the end of semester didn't even show up. got 73 or something. heh.

Also if you're not an international student, I'm pretty sure YOU will be paying YOUR OWN university fees.

If you don't want to go, don't go. Simple.

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
Well I can survive an hour into the lecture but after that I day dream a bit.
An hour is better than me. I think zehurricane saw me sleeping 15 minutes into the very first lecture we had. It was just so, ugh, boring.

lol fins1613

i know dat f33l

most boring lecture ever. last year, i just played words with friends or did maths homework. and towards the end of semester didn't even show up. got 73 or something. heh.

Also if you're not an international student, I'm pretty sure YOU will be paying YOUR OWN university fees.

If you don't want to go, don't go. Simple.
I'd show up if I had friends. But everyone in the lecture theater already has their own group of friends, so I'm pretty much left with nobody to talk to. Not a big deal, but I can't handle how bored and sleepy I am with nobody to talk to, haha.

And... erm... I am an international student though. My parents are the ones paying for my university fees, not me.

But yeah. Most likely not going. F**k this sh1t.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
oh you're an international student... ohhhhhhhhh

I understand.

Anyways, that's why you make some friends.

D94

HSC
N/A
You can always attend the lecture, but do something else in that time (ie. readings or homework or research etc.), if you are not so keen on "missing" the lecture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)