should i drop a subject now? (1 Viewer)

itszen

HSC
Im still questioning if i should chemistry now or not. My teacher says that i should i might as well do the hsc exam anyways since its the end of the year. And ive talked to other advisers saying that i should keep it, as its good for being 'on my transcript that ive done it.' However, im failing and im just not motivated to do chemistry hsc exam as its stuck between 2 subjects.Though my main concern is that its going to appear on my hsc results for the rest of my life and not look good towards employers. Oh and i asked my deputy and he said i could still drop a subject.Thoughts?

Alkanes

HSC
How many units are u doing? If you feel that you won't get a good mark and not motivated to study it - then drop it.

imZerroo

HSC
dw bout post year 12. do whatever is best for your atar. if chem is time consuming, then drop it. if it's not gonna count towards your 10 units, then drop it.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If you're 100% sure it's significantly worse than your other subjects, then it might be good to drop it. If you think there is a chance that Chemistry might out scale another subject such as Food Technology (example), then keep it.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Employers look at HSC marks? That is a first. :tongue2:
Some would if you're applying for a job right out of the HSC. And only for your first job, really.

I dropped something the day before my HSC exam.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
If you're not enjoying it, it is your worst subject, and you are getting bad marks in it. Get rid of it.

You should only keep courses you have or are going to enjoy in the long run (even with a few hiccups along the way). Employers aren't going to look at your HSC transcript if you go on to university.

mecramarathon

HSC
Pfft employees are more concerned about university marks + co-curricular for fresh graduates

drop chemistry if you really hate it and its impacting on your other subjects

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Aerath, what did you drop day before?

For OP, I'd say drop it if it is your worst subject by a considerable margin and you don't enjoy it. Only other alternatives are keep it but don't study etc. and just rock up to exam as maybe a safety in case you screw one of your other subjects or knuckle down and improve (this option isn't really viable if you hate it).

I'd say you, it'd prob be best to drop it.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
EX1.

I had done so much better than I had expected, for doing absolutely no work throughout the year. To be honest, I never really had my heart set on doing EX1, I just wanted to keep my (really really good) teacher. It's a strategy that quite a few Syd Boys use if they like their Year 11 English teacher, and said teacher is teaching an EX1 class in Year 12 (since in most cases, your Year 11 teacher is your Year 12 teacher). If I didn't choose EX1, I'd have moved into another class, and I really didn't want to give up my teacher.

So yeah, I never really entertained the notion of finishing EX1 - I wanted to keep it on for like 5 weeks, until I could drop it, and by then, classes would have been fixed, and I would've stayed. But I, as per usual, kept procrastinating.

So essentially, of the three core texts that were set for study, I read the introduction of one (Brave New World), didn't watch the movie at all (Space Odyssey), and didn't even touch the book (Neuromancer). And my related texts...I sorta made up. [How ironic, after railing against making up related texts just a few days ago - the difference being, I didn't really care so much about English Extension 1]. Somehow at the end of the Trials and everything, I still came out with a rank of 20th/72.

So, going into the HSC, I didn't even touch it, and since, I thought it'd be really really unfair to the 52 students I beat, given that me not even trying seriously in the HSC would affect them, I decided to drop it the day before the HSC.

Edit: PS: In my defence, Science Fiction is a really really shit module. And Ms Barr, I know you're reading this, I'm sorry.

kfnmpah

HSC
Im still questioning if i should chemistry now or not. My teacher says that i should i might as well do the hsc exam anyways since its the end of the year. And ive talked to other advisers saying that i should keep it, as its good for being 'on my transcript that ive done it.' However, im failing and im just not motivated to do chemistry hsc exam as its stuck between 2 subjects.Though my main concern is that its going to appear on my hsc results for the rest of my life and not look good towards employers. Oh and i asked my deputy and he said i could still drop a subject.Thoughts?
Bro, if you think employers give a shit that you did poorly in HSC chemistry, you've got bigger things to worry about.

but, srs, what marks are you getting in chem an your other subbies?

Good luck, dewd.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
EX1.

I had done so much better than I had expected, for doing absolutely no work throughout the year. To be honest, I never really had my heart set on doing EX1, I just wanted to keep my (really really good) teacher. It's a strategy that quite a few Syd Boys use if they like their Year 11 English teacher, and said teacher is teaching an EX1 class in Year 12 (since in most cases, your Year 11 teacher is your Year 12 teacher). If I didn't choose EX1, I'd have moved into another class, and I really didn't want to give up my teacher.

So yeah, I never really entertained the notion of finishing EX1 - I wanted to keep it on for like 5 weeks, until I could drop it, and by then, classes would have been fixed, and I would've stayed. But I, as per usual, kept procrastinating.

So essentially, of the three core texts that were set for study, I read the introduction of one (Brave New World), didn't watch the movie at all (Space Odyssey), and didn't even touch the book (Neuromancer). And my related texts...I sorta made up. [How ironic, after railing against making up related texts just a few days ago - the difference being, I didn't really care so much about English Extension 1]. Somehow at the end of the Trials and everything, I still came out with a rank of 20th/72.

So, going into the HSC, I didn't even touch it, and since, I thought it'd be really really unfair to the 52 students I beat, given that me not even trying seriously in the HSC would affect them, I decided to drop it the day before the HSC.

Edit: PS: In my defence, Science Fiction is a really really shit module. And Ms Barr, I know you're reading this, I'm sorry.
I essentially did the same thing. I read BNW but didn't really understand the book (soma and stuff), watched a bit of Space Odyssey (I finally understood the red dot machine in the Simpsons) and really couldn't be fucked reading Neuromancer. I ended up dropping even though I was doing quite well in the course because the whole sci-fi shit is dull.

I would of prefered Romanticism.

Last edited:

imZerroo

HSC
EX1.

[/I]
We only have 1 ext. class and A LOT of my friends decided to drop after year 11. i told em all to do the same thing as you coz the ext. teacher was the best i've ever seen. now, no offence to them, but they are getting really bad marks and would've done a lot better. the 2U teachers are atrocious. however, the ext. teacher ended up leaving school after hsc term 1, the new teacher was allright as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)