Should I do 4U? (1 Viewer)

leehuan

HSC
I'm doing advanced and extension 1 maths right now, and I'm unsure if I should do extension 2 in year 12. I really love maths and would love to do extension 2 because why not have more maths!! Haha

The problem is how I'm doing in 2U and 3U right now. I'm 6/11 in advanced, but know I can do better. I'm doing pretty average in extension, and have a test coming up to see how good I can do :)

Do you think extension 2 would be a good decision, given that I'd have to handle year 12 advanced and extension 1 maths ON TOP of extension 2?

Thankyou :)
This is the biggest contributor as to why you SHOULD be doing it.

It's the most powerful reason, so let's go to why you probably should not. Why are you 6/11 and not 3+? (Also, that is a very small cohort for a 2U class)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
@Scienceguy99

I think it's best for you to do 4u maths b/c I was told be an engineering student that first year physics is harder than 4U maths. Purely all calculus (differentiation and integration)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

It's the most powerful reason, so let's go to why you probably should not. Why are you 6/11 and not 3+? (Also, that is a very small cohort for a 2U class)
I think it's a low ranked school (not trying to be offensive @scienceguy99)

ScienceGuy99

HSC

We have only had 2 exams in 2U this year, and I stuffed up the first one because I had been sick for a week prior to the test. I think I came 4th in the second test with 82%, but I know I could have studied better for it. So those are the reasons I'm only 6/11 in the year.

And yes, my school is probably ranked low XD But it's the student, not the school, that makes them smart ;)

Katebate

HSC
Sorry if I misled you! Drongoski is right, not everyone is cut out for 4U. However, if you love math I just definitely think you should talk to your teacher and look into it.

leehuan

HSC
We have only had 2 exams in 2U this year, and I stuffed up the first one because I had been sick for a week prior to the test. I think I came 4th in the second test with 82%, but I know I could have studied better for it. So those are the reasons I'm only 6/11 in the year.

And yes, my school is probably ranked low XD But it's the student, not the school, that makes them smart ;)
Pfft, just two tests. Easy to mess up.

I thought you had a reason to not do 4U but now you don't even. Though in that case, what are your 3U marks like?

I find your love of mathematics unworldly.
But, to each their own!:biggrin:
Should've seen me in Yr 10.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
I'm in the same situation atm lol

If you're willing to put up the hard work then yeah why not go for it

Like they say, in order to do 4U you need to do well in 3U and that is agreeable as there are some build ups in 3U and 4U (i.e. polynomials, curve sketching)

Just focus on 2U in the holidays

You can try out 4U (and learn from a textbook) to see whether or not 4U is for you

4U scales exceptionally well (highest) so if you get at least band 5 min then that's rewarding so that's something you need to consider
Out of curiosity, what are your maths marks like atm?

(Fully serious question btw)

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
tfw you cant finish any 3u tests and end up getting low 70's..fk I have the 90% potential if I could finish lol

braintic

HSC
N/A
I have this feeling though that 4U gets scary when you start doing conics, integration, volumes and when you do mechanics and harder 3U that's when it gets really scary lol
Integration and Volumes are the easiest topics in Ext 2.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)