Should I do 4U? (1 Viewer)

ScienceGuy99

HSC
I'm doing advanced and extension 1 maths right now, and I'm unsure if I should do extension 2 in year 12. I really love maths and would love to do extension 2 because why not have more maths!! Haha

The problem is how I'm doing in 2U and 3U right now. I'm 6/11 in advanced, but know I can do better. I'm doing pretty average in extension, and have a test coming up to see how good I can do :)

Do you think extension 2 would be a good decision, given that I'd have to handle year 12 advanced and extension 1 maths ON TOP of extension 2?

Thankyou :)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I'm in the same situation atm lol

If you're willing to put up the hard work then yeah why not go for it

Like they say, in order to do 4U you need to do well in 3U and that is agreeable as there are some build ups in 3U and 4U (i.e. polynomials, curve sketching)

Just focus on 2U in the holidays

You can try out 4U (and learn from a textbook) to see whether or not 4U is for you

4U scales exceptionally well (highest) so if you get at least band 5 min then that's rewarding so that's something you need to consider

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I have this feeling though that 4U gets scary when you start doing conics, integration, volumes and when you do mechanics and harder 3U that's when it gets really scary lol

Simorgh

HSC
I would consider dong 4U but then I realise its a big waste of time and effort for someone like me.... Not worth doing it just for scaling at the expense of your other subjects.

If you can manage ur time effectively with minimal distractions and plus getting the marks! Then go ahead do 4U.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I would consider dong 4U but then I realise its a big waste of time and effort for someone like me.... Not worth doing it just for scaling at the expense of your other subjects.

If you can manage ur time effectively with minimal distractions and plus getting the marks! Then go ahead do 4U.
That's just like saying, it's not worth doing 3U b/c it's not worth doing just for the scaling at the expense of your other subjects (for someone like you)

BTW science guy, you should consider going tutoring for 4U if you plan to do it

Simorgh

HSC
That's just like saying, it's not worth doing 3U b/c it's not worth doing just for the scaling at the expense of your other subjects (for someone like you)
No it isn't and there isn't a relation. At the moment I managing all my subjects quite well and I am ranking well in all of them better than I thought I would at the start of the year. It would be nice to drop 2 more Units in Yr 12 so it can free me up to do even more well in those subjects. So no ICU.

Plus I don't care about scaling, I do subjects which interest me only because I legit enjoy them and am good in them. Scaling doesn't mean an ounce to me.

A guy on this forum called swagmeister got 99+ with no extension or particularly high scaling subjects and he was doing General Maths!

Last edited:

akkatracker

HSC
> I really love maths

That's your answer there. If you're coping with 3u and understand it all then you should definitely do 4U. It's hard work but if you really love maths then it will be really great fun. Furthermore doing 4U actually makes you better at 3U so you'll improve in 3u too.

I do 4U atm and am starting to really enjoy maths - some of the stuff seems boring but it beats doing something I don't want to do.

akkatracker

HSC
Also don't you cover basically the entire advanced course in year 11 if you do extension 1?

Contrary to what people say above here: don't read the textbooks. They're boring as fuck and IMO often poorly worded. Go watch some 4u lectures online (Wootube comes to mind). First topic is Complex Numbers which is pretty straightforward and rather interesting.

Katebate

HSC
I'm biased but 4U is by far the most beautiful HSC course you can do. So do it! 100%. There are so many different resources and people that will help you out if you are worried that you may struggle.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I'm biased but 4U is by far the most beautiful HSC course you can do. So do it! 100%. There are so many different resources and people that will help you out if you are worried that you may struggle.
Wow, this just made me so tempted to pick up 4U, mainly because of the scaling and I'm willing to do extra maths

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
No it isn't and there isn't a relation. At the moment I managing all my subjects quite well and I am ranking well in all of them better than I thought I would at the start of the year. It would be nice to drop 2 more Units in Yr 12 so it can free me up to do even more well in those subjects. So no ICU.

Plus I don't care about scaling, I do subjects which interest me only because I legit enjoy them and am good in them. Scaling doesn't mean an ounce to me.

A guy on this forum called swagmeister got 99+ with no extension or particularly high scaling subjects and he was doing General Maths!
Well it is possible to get 99+ ATAR without extension maths or any high scaling subject. Janek Drevikovsky got 99.95 and did no maths or science, only humanities, English extension 2 and languages but he did exceptionally well and state ranked all of it, so in essence you can get 99+ ATAR without high scaling subjects but you need to do exceptionally well in all your subjects

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
Well it is possible to get 99+ ATAR without extension maths or any high scaling subject. Janek Drevikovsky got 99.95 and did no maths or science, only humanities, English extension 2 and languages but he did exceptionally well and state ranked all of it, so in essence you can get 99+ ATAR without high scaling subjects but you need to do exceptionally well in all your subjects
Um continuers languages usually scale good and ext languages is on par with ext maths

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
You are offering a very dangerous and misleading advice. I suppose, like many on BoS, you are trying to be helpful and to provide encouragement. Not everyone is cut out for 4U. Not everyone has what it takes. Note the number of people dropping from 2U to Maths General. Those who should not, should not or they will pay a heavy price for a wrong decision. Not everyone has the your aptitude for 4U maths.

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
You are offering a very dangerous and misleading advice. Not everyone is cut out for 4U. Those who should not, should not or they will pay a heavy price for a wrong decision. Not everyone has the same aptitude for maths.
Your bolded comment scared the living daylights out of me Drongoski ahahaha but Katebate said that "I'm biased" and that's what led me into the trap of thinking about picking up 4U (I didn't realise that)

So I guess if I wanna do 4U (and others may think of my way) I have to do well in prelim 3U

I've looked at some 4U content on the net and tbh it seems manageable (or maybe I'm just looking at the easy questions and not so much the harder ones)

I have a feeling though that the 4U topics which will scare me off are conics, mechanics and harder 3U

Eddie woo videos gives me a great insight of what you should expect in 4U

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I think those that are not capable of 4U maths haven't learnt their basics and junior maths properly (not saying everyone does). Also iirc you need strong knowledge in differentiation and integration as you will be using these more advanced tools in 4U

To help you make the right decision before going into 4U, you should watch Eddie Woo videos (Like another user said) such as this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5yywGvUHYM

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
That seems to be VERY similar to university physics! Haha Which is what I want to do after year 12... My plan is to do a combined degree of maths/Bsc (physics) or engineering/BSc (physics)
This should not be surprising. Whilst I do not anticipate it to approach the exact same difficulty, it's quite obvious as to where the correspondence is.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
That seems to be VERY similar to university physics! Haha Which is what I want to do after year 12... My plan is to do a combined degree of maths/Bsc (physics) or engineering/BSc (physics)
That's 4U mechanics

I posted it here so then it could help you with your decision on whether or not it's best for you to do 4U scienceguy99

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)