Selective schools (1 Viewer)

moodchanger08

HSC
It's not that everyone in selective schools are smarter, it's just that selective schools create/provide a more studious atmosphere than perhaps other non-selective schools, therefore helping students to do well because everyone around them is trying hard. I think you should try for a selective school, because you never know unless you try, right? :D

Aznmichael92

HSC
Jachie said:
what the fuck is this shit you're spewing? of course they do. i know for a fact hornsby girls does.
Well your school might be an exception as my school does not offer it. (fort street high school)

It does not offer subjects like senior science and business studies.

Not sure if they even have standard english.

Some fortian confirm my query.

anyways isnt general maths 2 units? Do you guys refer advance as 2 units and general as 1 units?

Last edited:

Aznmichael92

HSC
yea wat i am saying is general is worth 2 units but it's the easier 2 unit maths subject.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Aznmichael92 said:
yea wat i am saying is general is worth 2 units but it's the easier 2 unit maths subject.
Yea thats not what you said.
anyways isnt general maths 2 units? Do you guys refer advance as 2 units and general as 1 units?
Whether the subject is easier or not doesnt come into it at all.

lionking1191

HSC
Forbidden. said:
Agreed.
Fuck selective schools.
If you stay in a normal high school or a rundown one and achieve a UAI which is comparable to one achieved by a selective school student you will prove that the underdog is the way to go.
no, actually you just prove that you can do well at any school. you don't get a high mark because you are at a selective. you get into selective because you get high marks...

emobopeep

fght ff yr dmns
HSC
I think it's up to the principal/head teachers what level of subjects are offered. For instance, general maths has always been offered at my (selective) school, but standard English only became available to study last year when our principal changed.

Aznmichael92

HSC
pretty much i guess, i think our school just introduced studies of religion this year

kathcbf

HSC
smushieex said:
kathcbf: yeah, i've heard a lot of good things about nsg.
but i feel like it's too 'up there' . lmao. like i'd be aiming too high. haha.
don't feel that way! =D
you never know unless you try.. and i don't think we're that high up from sydney girls? if we're higher up at all =S
so if you're applying to sydney girls, you should def. apply to nsg :)

and trust me, we're not all that smart. honest! =D

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
kathcbf said:
...dudes.
do you not know about scaling?
my school scales up your mark. so if two students (one from selective, one not) perform exactly the same in their HSC exams, the one from selective will DEFINITELY get a higher UAI because their school will scale up their mark.

duh.
Your school has nothing to do with your UAI. It depends on the cohort at your school.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
kathcbf said:
...dudes.
do you not know about scaling?
my school scales up your mark. so if two students (one from selective, one not) perform exactly the same in their HSC exams, the one from selective will DEFINITELY get a higher UAI because their school will scale up their mark.

duh.
Sorry, that's not true. If two students (one from Selective High School and the otherone from non-Selective High School) perform exactly the same in their HSC exams, they will be scaled in the same way. If your scenario is the case, everyone in the State would try to go to Selective High School.

Last edited:
HSC
kaz1 said:
Your school has nothing to do with your UAI. It depends on the cohort at your school.
umm..wont people in a selective school achieve higher (generalisation, but true) so if your cohort gets higher than the non-selective's cohort and you attend selective, will this be better off for you?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Jachie said:
what the fuck is this shit you're spewing? of course they do. i know for a fact hornsby girls does.
Yeah, some schools do, some schools don't. At SBHS, you can't do Standard English. Minimum is Advanced.

kathcbf said:
you never know unless you try.. and i don't think we're that high up from sydney girls? if we're higher up at all =S
Actually, for most people that go through Central, it's another train ride, so it's about another 20 minutes away. Something tells me that that's more than 'a little' time.

kathcbf

HSC
Aerath said:
Yeah, some schools do, some schools don't. At SBHS, you can't do Standard English. Minimum is Advanced.

Actually, for most people that go through Central, it's another train ride, so it's about another 20 minutes away. Something tells me that that's more than 'a little' time.
i didn't mean distance wise.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
umm..wont people in a selective school achieve higher (generalisation, but true) so if your cohort gets higher than the non-selective's cohort and you attend selective, will this be better off for you?
I think you need to learn that just because you go to a 'selective school' your UAI, mark whatever will not be altered purely because you go to a selective school. Its all about the mark YOU earn and how you do in comparison to the rest of YOUR cohort. Get the whole in comparison to non selective school thing you have going on. It doesn't affect you in any way what so ever.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
i go to a selective school. Most people (99) do standard english, and the majority do extension 1 maths (90).

Aznmichael92

HSC
agirlinatutu said:
I think you need to learn that just because you go to a 'selective school' your UAI, mark whatever will not be altered purely because you go to a selective school. Its all about the mark YOU earn and how you do in comparison to the rest of YOUR cohort. Get the whole in comparison to non selective school thing you have going on. It doesn't affect you in any way what so ever.
that is so true :D

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nerdsforever said:
i go to a selective school. Most people (99) do standard english, and the majority do extension 1 maths (90).
Um... your school is a partially Selective High School and that explains why many people at your school do English (Standard) because your school is like a Public High School with the Seletive High School aspect of it.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Aerath said:
my school doesn't offer standard either. i was replying to the douche who said NO selective school offered general maths, because mine clearly does (and is one of the two schools the op mentioned she wanted to apply to)

lionking1191

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
no because your relative ranking amongst your cohorts will be different. a selective ranking will be a lot lower if your performance remains the same at both schools

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)