Selective schools (1 Viewer)

smushieex

HSC
Umm okay. A bit of background info. I'm currently in year 10 and attending a catholic school. I'm in advanced math (core 3). At my school, to be able to do 2u mathematics, you need at least a B9. I think i'm pretty much on that .. i guess. lol If not, I still have the SC results and yearly exams to prove it.

Anyways. I was thinking of applying to selective schools for next year. (Sydney Girls, Hornsby girls .. whichever.) The thing is, IF I do get accepted, would they let me do 2u maths? Or do selective schools have, like, higher standards? B/c I'd rather stay at my school to do 2u than move and not be able to do 2u math, if you get what I'm saying.

Oh, any info about selective schools would be helpful also. :)
Like, do they really only accept TOP, TOP students? Or do they look at other aspects too?

I'm in the top class at school, but I don't think that's much, in comparison to students in selective schools. lol

Thankyou !~

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Selective schools

if you're able to get into hornsby/sydney girls - you should be able to do 2unit no problem, hell 3unit no problem.

HSC
umm..how can you prove it with your sc results if we havent done ours yet?

anyway..umm i got in to selective by test so i dont know by personal experience but ive had a few friends that have transferred into james ruse and north sydney this way..

umm..basically apart from your report marks..they really do look into your
extracurricular activities like sport, debating & public speaking and stuff like that..oh yeah..leadership is apparently a really big one..got a friend that made it into sydney grammar..(yeah isnt selective but still best boys i think) and he made up some stuff about possessing leadership qualities and thats what he thought that got him over the line..

anyway good luck..!
if you get a really good report..like all A's..then you shoukd apply to James Ruse coz they only look at report marks and do interviews..no examination..

smushieex

HSC
^lol, what i meant with the SC results was that I'd work hard in hopes of getting a good band.

HSC
i was under the impression that most select. highs had their placements soon after term 3.

smushieex

HSC
^ i'm sorry. I don't think I made it clear. lol.
I'm not using the SC results and yearly results for the selective enrolments.
i'd be using it for my school for subject choices.
sorry ><

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
uh, i go to hornsby and i don't do any units of maths....

edit: they'll let you do 2u, easily. a selective school isn't exactly going to encourage or force students to do a low-scaling subject like general maths, especially if they're capable of more.

Last edited:

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Selective schools don't offer subects which scale like general math. You have to do at least Advanced if you're going to do math at all.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
foram said:
Selective schools don't offer subects which scale like general math. You have to do at least Advanced if you're going to do math at all.
what the fuck is this shit you're spewing? of course they do. i know for a fact hornsby girls does.

Last edited:
HSC
lol..there is some truth to that

my school doesnt offer general maths or standard english

one of those two..ive forgotten

HSC
N/A
i go to a selective school... i dont think it offers general maths

but doing 2 unit maths is no prob at a selective skool. hell, they're probably more likely to encourage u to do it that to not do it

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: Selective schools

My school offers General Math, but Advanced English is a must

kathcbf

HSC
hi :)
I go to north sydney girls, and i know for a fact that we don't offer general maths. the minimum is 2unit maths... or you can just not do maths at all.

also,
people have the misconception that everyone in selective schools are really smart, and we all work really hard. its not even like that. it's heaps of fun, and nsg is a really awesome school - you should apply here next year!
like somebody else said, they look at reports, so make sure you're your report is good (as long as your all teachers say nice things about you), and you're well rounded.
we have a few transfer students that are from local high schools, so don't feel dumb or anything! :)

hope i helped :)

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Sydney girls doesn't offer general maths, so it's 2u, 3u, or no maths at all.

smushieex

HSC
kathcbf: yeah, i've heard a lot of good things about nsg.
but i feel like it's too 'up there' . lmao. like i'd be aiming too high. haha.

lionking1191

HSC
we don't offer standard maths or english and 150/180 do ext maths :eek:

HSC
sad realisation is that if you get in, you'll realise that not everyone is that 'studious' person you perhaps had in mind

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
sad realisation is that if you get in, you'll realise that not everyone is that 'studious' person you perhaps had in mind
Agreed.
Fuck selective schools.
If you stay in a normal high school or a rundown one and achieve a UAI which is comparable to one achieved by a selective school student you will prove that the underdog is the way to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)