scholarships - work experience (1 Viewer)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
So i was reading the requirements for applying for scholarships at USYD, UNSW and UTS and some stated that you should of had work experience in past years ? Is this necessary, i did not do work experience in yr 10 and am wondering how this will still affect me as being a candidate for a scholarship. Did anyone here get a scholarship at one of those universities without work experience?

im confused?...

D94

HSC
N/A
How will you be able to compete with those who do have work experience and the skills and qualities they have developed from their experience? Maybe you don't have work experience, but what else have you done? Volunteering? Out-of-school projects? Sport/s? Work experience at a high school level probably won't be too relevant, but it's the skills you learn from it and the achievements that matter.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
i have played club sports for well over 10yrs total, including soccer, cricket, have volunteered for salvos and done some extra curricular activities

D94

HSC
N/A
That definitely helps. I can assure you work experience is not necessary for scholarships. As long as you can talk about things such as leadership, group work, communication etc. and draw from an actual experience, then you can be as competitive.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
what would you talk about regarding group work?

SRK_102

Banned
HSC
Volunteering in a hospital with a group of friends, this could help, just bullshit as long as you get your scholorship, people bullsit alot.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
so i just say i did this and that even if i haven't and they will believe me or do i need evidence? Lol.

D94

HSC
N/A
I meant teamwork, so how well you are able to work with others. It all relates together because you could, but not limited to, be a leader communicating to a team.

It's easier to explain things when you've actually done it, unless you believe your own lie.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
I don't get it? Lie or not to lie? Yes or No

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
So i was reading the requirements for applying for scholarships at USYD, UNSW and UTS and some stated that you should of had work experience in past years ? Is this necessary, i did not do work experience in yr 10 and am wondering how this will still affect me as being a candidate for a scholarship. Did anyone here get a scholarship at one of those universities without work experience?

im confused?...
Don't need work exp to get uni schols...academics, ECs, good interview skills, goals/future vision etc.

You're going for the same degree I'm doing but at a different uni, you don't need work exp to land schols.

For the love of god don't lie. Firstly, it's stupid. Secondly, you won't sound very convincing either writing about it, or less so if they ask you about it. Don't do it. It's better to be genuine and actually have grown from a real experience.

enoilgam

HSC

im confused?...
My mate got a scholarship at UTS and he had no prior work experience.

i have played club sports for well over 10yrs total, including soccer, cricket, have volunteered for salvos and done some extra curricular activities
I'd put all this sort of stuff on there - if you were the Captain of a sporting team, I'd note that as well, as that shows leaderships skills/experience.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
hmm anyone got a scholarship to usyd without work experience? what is the easiest scholarship to get btw?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
You said you played sports. That is definitely group/team work.

And don't completely lie in your application. That is the stupidest thing you can do and works in the opposite way.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
hmm anyone got a scholarship to usyd without work experience? what is the easiest scholarship to get btw?
Yes. And many others have.

I would not really say any are easy tbh-some may have less applicants though if lesser known/smaller.

so some lieing is allowed?
No, lieing always catches up with you.

But even so, you'd sell yourself out lying for some money...eesh.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
haha, one or two lies wont hurt ;D, #eshaylife

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't lie. You will dig yourself in a deep hole during the scholarship interview because most of the questions they ask are in relation to your application.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)