Scaling for standard and advanced english (1 Viewer)

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
Just a question I'm confused for a long time...
Is adv eng scales higher than standard eng?
becos i jsut know that you cannot get a max UAI of 100 for standard (but 99.65) and the max scaled mark is same as advanced (50) as we can see from --> http://www.boredofstudies.org/capping.php

Last edited:

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
Sorry BOS newbie V_V"
Let's try again shall we?
ok...I'm thinking of moving down from advanced english to standard english, since I have a feeling that I'm gonna be the lower half of my advanced class.. also, my school isn't selective or anything.
Just a question I'm confused for a long time...I heard that standard english scales not as high as advanced english.. is that true?
but I guess it's better to get good marks in standard then get bad marks in advanced, right?
so my Q:
Is adv eng scales higher than standard eng?
I only know that you cannot get a max UAI of 100 for standard (but 99.65) but the max scaled mark is same as advanced (50) as we can see from --> http://www.boredofstudies.org/capping.php

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
apparently they scale the same

but it is a LOT harder to do well in standard than advance.

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
Yeh I heard that it's hard to get a band 6 in standard or sth.
But how come it's a lot harder to do well in standard than advance?
I wanted to do ESL (been here less than 5 years) but my school hasn't got a class for it...
so... should I stick with adv or move to standard?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
It just so happens the candidature doing standard weren't acedemically able enough to get more band 6's.

You'd think that if you were able to do well in standard, you'd of probably picked Advanced, thus leaving Standard with a pretty poor candidature.

You should ask the people in the standard forum whether to drop it or not. You may end up not liking what you have to learn in Standad as well.

^___^
HSC
if u can get band 5 in std

the scaling is pretty nice from there..anything below band5 in std scales u down...so erk

but getting band5 in std is not easy :p

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Just to clarify:

Both Standard and Advanced English are scaled in exactly the same way. The same raw mark in each course ends up as the same scaled mark.

Originally posted by (^o^)
I only know that you cannot get a max UAI of 100 for standard (but 99.65) but the max scaled mark is same as advanced (50)
It is possible to achieve a UAI of 100 regardless of the combination of courses you are taking. The figure you are citing comes from a report which details the top UAI that was achieved in that year in that course. The maximum possible UAI is always 100.

The maximum scaled mark for Standard and Advanced is also always set at 50 - it is never higher or lower. This is done intentionally, as the combined Standard/Advanced candidature constitutes the majority of the HSC cohort.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
Just to clarify:

Both Standard and Advanced English are scaled in exactly the same way. The same raw mark in each course ends up as the same scaled mark.

It is possible to achieve a UAI of 100 regardless of the combination of courses you are taking. The figure you are citing comes from a report which details the top UAI that was achieved in that year in that course. The maximum possible UAI is always 100.

The maximum scaled mark for Standard and Advanced is also always set at 50 - it is never higher or lower. This is done intentionally, as the combined Standard/Advanced candidature constitutes the majority of the HSC cohort.

you always emphasise that the max aligned mark for standard is 50. However, it never seems to go above 45.

If a standard person was to get a raw mark of 50 in the HSC and came first in their school. Whould they get 50 as a HSC mark?

Or is there no way to know what they do with raw marks.

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
Extension units do not affect the scaling of the 2-unit course at all - unless you mean by improving the skills that are necessary for success i.e. what you learn in ext English would advantage you compared to the Adv. students, and seeing as you only need two units of English if you stuff up in 2-unit it will in a way get sclaed much better :p

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by = Jennifer =
because i do extension english 1 would my advanced mark get scaled up? or is it just seperate?
Whatever you score in extension courses are for those courses only. So you are measured against all who sit the exam at the same level.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by (^o^)
But how come it's a lot harder to do well in standard than advance?
1) the candidature tends to be of a lower standard (hey, im not saying anything, its just the way it is...not my personal opinion!!)
2) my old teacher (HT Eng, Senior HSC marker) reckoned that something was left out of the standard course...like, the two courses arent taught the same way or something, standard people arent taught some specific skill they need to get the high marks (i dunno how true that was though)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890
If a standard person was to get a raw mark of 50 in the HSC and came first in their school. Whould they get 50 as a HSC mark?
Yes - an aligned mark of 100% is always awarded to those students who scored a raw mark of 100%.

Originally posted by Zarathustra
Extension units do not affect the scaling of the 2-unit course at all - unless you mean by improving the skills that are necessary for success i.e. what you learn in ext English would advantage you compared to the Adv. students
This is correct. :)

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Apparently standard english is capped, and according to my eng teacher no-one got into band 6 in the '02 HSC

gman03

HSC
Far-out, does it matter if you don't get 100 UAI or band-6 std english? I mean 99.65 can get you to almost any course in any university. If you grasp the concept in english than it is by no mean disadvantage to you if you don't do advanced english.

The figure in the BOS report showing the maximum UAI achieved by the candidate for each course are statistic, meaning they don't cap people's UAI purposely but show you as a guide what have the student in the previous year has achieved.

zergcave

HSC
...i heard from pple that by doing standard english:
those whom are born in australia / or have been residing here for LONG time
will be scaled DOWN MUCH MORE than a student who's only studied in australia for a shorter period of time.
to discourage aust-born students (who generally will have better english) from choosing standard

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
zergcave said:
...i heard from pple that by doing standard english:
those whom are born in australia / or have been residing here for LONG time
will be scaled DOWN MUCH MORE than a student who's only studied in australia for a shorter period of time.
to discourage aust-born students (who generally will have better english) from choosing standard
There is no truth nor logic in such a procedure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)