Scaling for standard and advanced english (1 Viewer)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
jam3s said:
a guy in my school got 99.95 and he did standard english.
No, no he didn't... but it's still possible to get 99.95 or even 100 if you are doing it. :)

zergcave

HSC
english general and english advanced is SCALED the same.
i.e a band 4 in general and exactly the same as band 4 in advanced

english general is NOT capped. however it is virtually impossible to get a band 6 anyways because of the advantage ADvanced has in studying much more sophisticated texts. This will lead to the ADvanced candidature with responses of a higher quality than of the STandard candidature (same hsc paper), and hence rewarded more marks.

THERE BITCHES!!.... 100uai for me!!

Sanchez__

HSC
Moving away from capping or comparative scaling I was wondering if anyone knows how the scaling is worked out for advanced/standard english in the first place. My understanding of scaling is it works out how you would theoretically have gone if everyone did that subject. However, in advanced/standard english everyone does do it. How then can (according to what I have seen from SAM etc) they be scaled down? Is an arbitrary scaling just decided upon?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The scaled mean for the combined Standard/Advanced English candidature would be very close to 25, which would signify that no scaling was necessary. For example, in 2003, I would estimate it at around 25.3. Keep in mind that not everyone takes Standard or Advanced - a very small minority do ESL instead, and there would be other students who have accelerated courses and are included in the scaling but haven't done Standard/Advanced.

I need to refine the scaled means that are displayed by SAM (though they don't actually have any effect on the calculations).

And there is never any arbitrary scaling. :)

santaslayer

HSC
zergcave said:
...i heard from pple that by doing standard english:
those whom are born in australia / or have been residing here for LONG time
will be scaled DOWN MUCH MORE than a student who's only studied in australia for a shorter period of time.
to discourage aust-born students (who generally will have better english) from choosing standard
Are you talking about ESL?

mishka

HSC
N/A
hipsta_jess said:
2) my old teacher (HT Eng, Senior HSC marker) reckoned that something was left out of the standard course...like, the two courses arent taught the same way or something, standard people arent taught some specific skill they need to get the high marks (i dunno how true that was though)
yeah my teachers said the same - i think it's the outcome to do with context... it's not as prominent in the standard course as it is in the advanced course, but they could be wrong... apparently it's harder to get band 6 in standard (i think only one person did last yr) because they don't have the same outcomes or something

Tuna

HSC
N/A
I thought Standard was designed for the majority of students and Advanced was designed for the very well capable students.

If a mid-ranking candidature in Advanced dropped to Standard, i.e their ranking would go up, they even top Standard who knows? The Board Of Studies have developed a way to eliminate this competition of the "very capable students vs. the not very well capable students to achieve and high rankings and marks".

The mid-ranking candidature in Advanced will do very well in Standard because they are competing with people who are below them. Hence the maximum band they could get is in the band 5's. Whereas in Advanced, the competition with the capable students is almost likely going to take place, thus band 6's will be awarded to those who do well.

Taking into account, if you are not doing so well in Advanced then it's like wise to drop to Standard and get high to mid band 5's rather than perform poorly in advanced and get in the 4's.

Last edited:

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
For anyone concerned in their studies enough to come and read posts on this site, dont even bother with standard english. Ive seen people you can hardly even spell in year 10 get Band 5/6 in the HSC through applying themselves. English, like all other subjects just requires effort, given some people have better english skills or more logical brains for maths, but effort is all it takes to do well in the HSC.
Advanced should be done by everyone with a morsel of intelligence.

nova

HSC
absolution* said:
For anyone concerned in their studies enough to come and read posts on this site, dont even bother with standard english. Ive seen people you can hardly even spell in year 10 get Band 5/6 in the HSC through applying themselves. English, like all other subjects just requires effort, given some people have better english skills or more logical brains for maths, but effort is all it takes to do well in the HSC.
That's a pretty big generalisation.. what about the lazy people who can cruise through standard (ie. not do ANY work except cram before exams) and get top 5 rankings?

zergcave

HSC
absolution* said:
hmm very good.

but ive dropped down to standard to make way for more time wif my 4u math....
in choosing it...i sacrificed any real hope of band 6 and a senior hsc marker for a teacher. arrrgh now im worried about getting pulled down by our standard form next year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)