SBS Movie -The Closet (le placard) this Sunday, 8:30pm. (1 Viewer)

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
Just thought I'd let y'all know that this is on television this Sunday.

I've seen it before on DVD, it's fairly recent, 2001-ish I think... It's hilarious! :D

This is the blurb:

Francois Pignon is an accountant, a nice but boring man. His ex-wife (whom he still loves), his teenage son and his colleagues avoid him or greet him with polite indifference. When he learns that he is being retrenched by his employer (a condom manufacturer), he contemplates suicide but is saved by his new neighbour Belone, who comes up with a ploy to save his job: start a rumour that he's gay. His employer will then be too scared to ruin the reputation of the company by sacking him. The strategy works and the termination is withdrawn. Assuming his bland appearance must be masking a pervert, Pignon's colleagues change their behaviour towards him, especially the homophobic HR director Santini, who grows increasingly obsessed with him. Francois begins to assert himself (and stops loving his ex-wife) and people (notably his son and one of his accounting colleagues, beautiful Mlle Laroque) are forced to take fresh stock of the man they thought they knew. Directed by Francis Veber and stars Daniel Auteuil, Gerard Depardieu and Thierry Lhermitte. (In French, English subtitles) M (S,L,A)

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Lol this is so funny, typical french working class flick set up un a rubber (re: condom) factory....the photos were classic...tout c'est rigolo dedans!

chepas

HSC
Yay Le placard!!!! I've been dying to see this movie for ages. Have you seen "Le diner de cons", The Dinner Game? It's the same people + Depardieu, it was so stinkin funny, so I have high hopes for this one too.

I think this is the start of that SBS Sunday Movie thing at 8.30 - in which we shall also see Amélie!!!

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
OMG!! "The Dinner Game" was *SO* funny! I only hired it out a week ago... Le placard is as good, I reckon.

But it's funny how there seems to be a group of french actors who they use for every movie....

chepas

HSC
Yeah I know!! God once French actors act in a movie with one another, every other film they do is with each other... Like in Marius et Jeannette, the Ariane Ascaride and the guy who plays Marius do a million other films of the director guy (Guediguian??) like "Marie-Jo et ses deux amours" and like, lots of others... strange.

chepas

HSC
Oooh, what was "Taxi"? Praytell...

There was another movie on not long ago (I think they might even be rerunning it) "Le sens des affaires", with the same guy Thierry Lhermitte, I think.. He probably wasn't in it.... It seemed all right.

malkin86

HSC
I think it was about a bloke who drove people around in a taxi...

Why don't foreign-language children's movies make it to SBS? The Closet sounds like it will be too 'adult' to tape and show in class.

chepas

HSC
There was this cartoon on once, but it soo crap. Also seemed a bit saucy to show to little kids I thought!!! Like blood and violence... But these are the French we're talking about, Europeans, desensitised to sex and violence...

Once "Les triplettes de Belleville" is released, that was adorable, but there is no dialogue at all.. a Francophone movie though!! :rolleyes:

Get "The Dinner Game" to show in class. It's funny and not to 'adult' at all. Ça doit tous faire rire. :D

chepas

HSC
HAHAH Que c'était rigolo, ce film-l*!

I liked Félix... and the condom hat...

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
Oooh! 'Tis too! Thanks for letting us know malkin86!!

Shall have to tape it as I'm trying to cram my little brain with quotes for english exam tomorrow!

chepas

HSC
Yeh cheers as well! I completely forgot.... I've never seen Taxi, there being this supposed big hype and fame about these movies?

Re: #13, argh I hate remembering quotes. My Shakespeare quotes were full of "I'the Commonwealth I would by something something all things. For something kind of something would I something...."... good luck!

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
HAHHAHA! Yes. "I'th commonwealth I would by contraries execute all things..."

SO lame. No these are bloody quotes from Emma/Clueless, Gwen Harwood, Frontline.. So much info...so little time to cram.

chepas

HSC
Poor soul.. Here's what I sitll remember... come HSC i'm screwed again though hehe.

Stu: WHy are you crouching, mate?
Marty: Makes me look like I'm in danger.
Stu: But the gunman's five km away...
Marty: Shut up! It's dark mate, who's gonna bloody know.
Stu: Sure you don't want a flak jacket too?
Marty: Actually, thjat's a bloody good idea. James, go ask the cops if I can borrow a flak jacket.

"Emma to Harriet about Mr. Martin: A young farmer, whether on foot or on horseback, is exactly the last person to raise my curiosity. The yeomanry are precisely the order of person with whom I feel I can have nothing to do." Vol 1 Ch 4, vs. "Cher to Tai about Travis: My bday's in April and as somebody older can I give you some advice? It's one thing to spark up a doobie and get laced at parties but it's quite another to be fried all day. / Loadies generally hang on that grassy knoll over there. Sometimes they come to class and say bonehead things. We laugh of course, but no respectable girl actually dates them.".

Gwen Harwood died in the proverbial. I hate poetry lol!

EDIT: Yay Shakespeare! Whatever happens to that commonwealth. I remember what is actually in English better than what was written in it 350 years ago...

Last edited:

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
Hoorah! It's all over for english!! Only my French exams to go.... :rolleyes:

So, who watched "Taxi" last night?? What did y'all think of it?

I'm hoping my silly VCR recorded it so I can go watch it now.

x

chepas

HSC
It was good. Very sorta 'oh he gets the girl at the end' (oops!), funny too.

They said there were sequels to it. Wonder if they're next week/week after?

malkin86

HSC
There's a french film on at 10 tonight - called something something love, I think.

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
On the world movies channel on foxtel they have some good french movies. I saw one the other day called "le papillon". It was the most beautiful film with this little 9 year old girl and an old dude and looking for this butterfly. The girl was gorgeous, she kept asking questions... anyway that's my opinion...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)