Roll Call Prelim 2010 (1 Viewer)

Schoey93

HSC
I'm checking in again for class :p

Roll call person, I'm here ... lol ... :)

Oh and I'm not doing Legal Studies ... 2 years of Commerce is enough ^^ (refer to above post)

MATHSCAPE

HSC
Aw, well all you have to do is just do a lot of research on courses. But it was different for me, since i've liked courtrooms and stuff since i was 7-8 *watching judge judy hahahaha*
and then i realised this year in commerce, when we did legal.. it just came to me naturally..
i also did work experience at a law firm this year :)

so yeah..
i know that legal studies will be very diffeent next year, but i also love making constructive essays about arguments.. so basically i like debate as well haha :)

Search for courses at participating institutions - UAC undergraduate website go there to search for courses, unis and atar cutoffs :)
and browse around looking for info about unis. one reason why i want to move to anu is because it ranks better than usyd (and usyd is 99.55 or something to get into law....)
haha, i never really liked commerce in year 9 but i had this awesome teacher this year and she just made commerce really interesting but she left unexpectedly after term 1. since then, i've never shown any interest in commerce.

thanks for the link, i'll look into it. :)

santiii

HSC
I'm checking in again for class :p

Roll call person, I'm here ... lol ... :)

Oh and I'm not doing Legal Studies ... 2 years of Commerce is enough ^^ (refer to above post)
+1

I was good at it but I couldn't handle it anymore... I think it was more because of my teacher than anything.

Schoey93

HSC
+1

I was good at it but I couldn't handle it anymore... I think it was more because of my teacher than anything.
My commerce teachers [mainly] sucked

Yr 9: Mrs Coleman/formerly Miss Higgins+1/6 of the time it was hilarious amazingly carefree Mr Gill whom everyone adored (he had a "cute" Irish accent and was in his fifties)

Yr 10:
32-year-old Mrs Skellerjup & Mrs Anderson (aged about 48)
The two teachers were best friends and saw each other outside of school and still do... they were good teachers but they failed to make the course appeal except for one student, Candice Ferreira ... goood on her:monkey:

Last edited:

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
WOO when we all get our 99+ ATARS in 2011 we'll have a BOS party and get wasted LOL :) That would be awesome but right after we post all our uber awesome marks on BOS that is.

Hello Prelims of 2010 :) I've already replied to this thread but if you must know my subjects and ATAR aims (and lunch aims) are in my sig.

Enjoy :)

Senator111

HSC
WOO when we all get our 99+ ATARS in 2011 we'll have a BOS party and get wasted LOL :) That would be awesome but right after we post all our uber awesome marks on BOS that is.

Hello Prelims of 2010 :) I've already replied to this thread but if you must know my subjects and ATAR aims (and lunch aims) are in my sig.

Enjoy :)
What about those of us who have no chance of getting a 99 ATAR - can you set up some sort of comiserations room and the party where we can drink away our misery?:party:

santiii

HSC

Yr 9: Mrs Coleman/formerly Miss Higgins+1/6 of the time it was hilarious amazingly carefree Mr Gill whom everyone adored (he had a "cute" Irish accent and was in his fifties)

Yr 10:
The two teachers were best friends and saw each other outside of school and still do... they were good teachers but they failed to make the course appeal except for one student, Candice Ferreira ... goood on her:monkey:

The teacher I had through all of year 10 and term 4 year 9 was... easily distracted. He would go on so many tangents it was really bad. The days he wouldn't get distracted we would learn about unimportant stuff.

For example, we had a double period (53 minute periods) he talked about the history of trade and I focused for about 10 minutes. By the end of the first period the majority of our class had their heads on the table and I think someone actually fell asleep. That was a normal class for us hahahah

What about those of us who have no chance of getting a 99 ATAR - can you set up some sort of comiserations room and the party where we can drink away our misery?:party:
hahaha I'll join you! I want an ATAR of 99.95 but its probably not going to happen because of my hatred of English.

Woah long post XD

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
yep with ya there mate :) :party:

occer

HSC
N/A

Yr 10:
Stop namedropping, if I knew you I would have killed myself by now.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
The teacher I had through all of year 10 and term 4 year 9 was... easily distracted. He would go on so many tangents it was really bad. The days he wouldn't get distracted we would learn about unimportant stuff.

For example, we had a double period (53 minute periods) he talked about the history of trade and I focused for about 10 minutes. By the end of the first period the majority of our class had their heads on the table and I think someone actually fell asleep. That was a normal class for us hahahah

hahaha I'll join you! I want an ATAR of 99.95 but its probably not going to happen because of my hatred of English.

Woah long post XD

Me too except not for my hatred of english but my mediocre intelligence level. I only WISH I got 99+

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Mirakon here, doing:

HSC Ext 1 & 2 Maths accelerated
Ext 1 English
Chem
Physics
Mod Hist

Unless of coure plans for world domination turn out to progress at a faster pace hopefully.

Last edited:

santiii

HSC
Ooh and for uni I want to go to UTS Bachelor of Accounting but I probably wont get in because of the 30 places and 800+ applicants :S

If I cant get into that I'll do Bachelor of Commerce with majors in Accounting at USYD or UNSW or the best school I can get into.

Time to study up though UAIs are around 95 +

xMaFF

HSC
Greetings, everyone :)

I know I've raised this question before, but I want to see a range of opinions,
(but I don't think it's worth starting a whole new thread, so I'll just ask here)

Do you think it's possible to achieve a 96+ ATAR (or even perhaps a 99+ ATAR) without doing any extension / distinction courses?

Please let me know, any input is much appreciated. Subs are in the siggie.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all BoS HSC: 2011-ers!
Hope you're all doing well.

Starstruck

HSC
N/A

Do you think it's possible to achieve a 96+ ATAR (or even perhaps a 99+ ATAR) without doing any extension / distinction courses?
Yes, of course. You'll need to do really well though, but that goes without saying, regardless of your subjects if your aiming for 99+.

Back on topic, subjects are in signature.

I'm aiming for top 5 or so in the grade for English Extension, Chemistry, Physics and Biology. I want to ace Modern, can't wait looks like the best subject by far... Oh and in the meantime, hopefully not to too badly in maths ;)

adriano_negr0

HSC
Greetings, everyone :)

I know I've raised this question before, but I want to see a range of opinions,
(but I don't think it's worth starting a whole new thread, so I'll just ask here)

The yr 11 dux of the current yr12 at my school did no extensions
so yes he'll probs get 99+ as were selective

wendybird

HSC
Hey yall.

I would just like to raise discussion on whether it is possible to achieve a 95+ (or even perhaps a 99+) ATAR without doing any EXTENSION courses.

What do you think? Is it possible?
Heya buddy,

re: the question, you're fine.

Your subjects:

- English Advanced
- Maths Advanced
- Economics
- Physics
- Chemistry
- Japanese (B) or Studies of Religion II
Eng Adv is great, 2U Maths is great, Eco scaled brilliantly this year, as did Physics, Chem not quite so much - but that doesn't really matter, it still scales well enough. Dunno about Jap, but SOR scales pretty reasonably.

But anyway, scaling doesn't mean too much if you're prepared to work hard, if you actually enjoy and are good at your subjects.

What I WILL note is, that the reason so many 99+ people have alot of extensions is NOT because extension subjects scale all that well or are inherently "better" than the basic 2 unit subjects. Quite the reverse in fact.

Ie. English Extension 2 doesn't scale quite as well as Eng Adv, or even Eng X1. History Extension scales about the same as Modern History.

The reason we do alot of extensions is that alot of us will have found our niches by Yr 12, and have streamlined our subject selection to roughly 4 subject "areas" while still covering over 10 units.

That way you don't have to get your head around completely different subject and conceptual areas. I mean English X1 is very different from X2 and that's got no relation to Eng Adv, BUT conceptually you're using the same skills and it makes studying easier.

Looking at your subjects for example, you've got 6 distinct subject areas - all of which employ very different skills (essay writing/answering/exam format). Its just abit harder in terms of time to manage that's all. Dw, you'll figure out what works for you when you hit Yr 12.

xMaFF

HSC
Thanks for all your help, Wendy.
It's given me new thought on my subjects.
I'm so thankful for your help, I've featured you in my sig, LOL :D

Anyways I want to ask you guys about Distinction Courses.
- Do any of you guys want to apply for one?
- Is it too late to take an accelerated course? (And start it for Prelims?)

- How do you apply for a Distinction Course?

We've just finished Yr. 10. This might be a bit late, but I think I'm just curious...

Any help is much appreciated,
Thanks in advance :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)